Port Vale vs Torquay United

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

jonnyfive wrote: Don't worry Kitti, I am sure your brother/cousin/boyfriend will get another chance at some point. It's up to him to make sure he takes it!
11 Posts and 9 are about Atieno, so I make you right ;-)

As for Atieno, his sister/cousin/girlfriend is also right in that Saints fans still rave about him up here, he really was good in that game, however I saw his performance against Hereford when he came on and he truly was shocking. I guess he'll have to grab any chance he gets with both hands/feet, he does have the ability but can he apply it? I hope so.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

As i have said before, i think Tai struggles to adapt to the pace and structure of games when coming on as sub. He puts himself about and chases down but nothing seems to come off for him. I haven't got a problem with that aspect of his game, maybe its just bad luck and he needs something to click on the pitch for him to get his confidence back. The main reason why he makes so many sub appearances though is the fact then when he starts ( whenever i've seen him) he doesn't work on the pitch, doesn't bust a gut as it were and doesn't offer us anything really as an attacking threat. He just 'appears' lazy and uninterested in the game. That may well be his way/style of playing and if that is the case fair enough but its not enough for Torquay United i'm afraid. I'm not asking Tai to be like Ronaldo, i'm just asking him to get stuck in, make the runs, pressure the defenders, show for the ball, track back when need be and all the things we ask minimum of our players. If it doesn't come off then fine but if he applies himself like this on a consistent basis then he may put himself back in the first team picture on a more regular basis. It's better than not giving 100% and getting the fans on his back. Listen, i'm not Tai's biggest fan but if he does the basics regularly and contributes to the team then thats all i ask. Starting at Vale would give Tai a great opportunity to stake his claim, i just hope he remembers that if the rest of the team are playing shite on the day as long as he isn't then we (as fans) and Mr Ling will notice. Only Tai can do it for himself.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

if i was a betting man my money would definately be on a torquay win tonight, and also from -1 and rene howe to score at any time, but luckily i'm not!!

i think a larger than average crowd will spur us on to keep them out for first half and then nick it in the 2nd when their fans are on their backs!

cant believe we're 17/10 to win given our current form and vales lack of goals, maybe the bookies think we'll be impotent without eunan? should be there but wont unfortunately as too difficult the get there, and impossible to get back, of an evening using public transport. hope i miss a treat!!
still keeping the faith
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by loyalgull »

Any advice on parking near or at the ground please guys? Thanks.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I'd park near or at the ground, saves a walk then. Hope this helps mate.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Ling in the WMN today seems to indicate putting Morris in his the best option.

Seems fair, as it means he doesn't have to tinker with the system that has worked so well for the last 5 weeks. That's the golden rule, don't change a winning team.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

royalgull wrote:I'd park near or at the ground, saves a walk then. Hope this helps mate.
:rofl: Don't think that's quite the answer he wanted. :lol:
Staffsgull1
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by Staffsgull1 »

Theres a big car park just before the ground on the left hand side which costs a few quid but is relatively easy to escape from. Not the best area for street parking.

As another local to the area, I am wary of Vale. The club may be in a real mess off the pitch (although I'd also be amazed if the administration rumours are true as someone else said on another thread), and Adams is losing popularity quickly, but he does fire them up for games and after a few bad performances he'll have torn into them and they'll now scrap for everything. He's banned days off until they start winning again. However if we can get the lead, the crowd will really turn against them, and they are notorious for being impatient.
Steve23
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve23 »

Yep it's £4 for the car park next to the ground
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I got here early!

FYI for all those who didn't make it - its cold!

At least the team have made it, always a good start to things. It's eerily underpopulated this ground, even if it is 40mins to kick off
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

no team news on player yet
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i'm going 0-2 howe with both
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

exeter rugby on the player, no mention of us since i've been streaming

team news anyone?
still keeping the faith
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

bixieupnorth wrote:exeter rugby on the player, no mention of us since i've been streaming

team news anyone?
Morris is warming up with what I consider the first team, McPhee knocking it about with Tai and LRT. I think that speaks for itself!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

I think Vale will be harder to beat that some of you seem to be assuming.

How many times have we seen over the years that a team who gets beaten by a 'lower' side comes back with a vengeance in the next game? Vale lost to Grimsby in the cup, but by all accounts their boos has laid into them a bit after that, i expect there to be plenty of passion, and Vale we be more reolute that we'd expect, although they might not find the net.

If we get the home fans against them early doors (as they seem quite keen to do atm), then they could be in for a nervous, long night. If not, their confidence will gain, the fans will get behind them, then who knows what could happen?
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...