Dennis Penford

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Dennis Penford

Post by Trojan 67 »

Former Torquay United fullback Dennis Penford has passed away aged 80 years. The funeral service will be held at Torquay Crematorium Wednesday 7th December at 10.30am.

I’m saddened to hear this news and my condolences go to his wife Anne and sons Chris and Steve.

Dennis was signed from Reading in 1959 and made 77 League appearances for Torquay United before departing for Dorchester in 1962. I never saw Dennis play, as my TUFC supporting days didn’t start until 1965. However, Dennis was a major influence and football mentor to me in his capacity as manager of both Pioneer League side Torre Trojans FC and Torquay United Colts. Looking back to 1967 when Trojans were formed, I feel really lucky and grateful that I was one of the originals and that we had Dennis as our manager.

When we outgrew the Pioneer League due to age, Dennis saw to it that the nucleus of the side would go on to Plainmoor and be part of the fledgling Torquay United Colts. Sadly, after two very successful seasons, the youth set up together with the Western League reserve side became victims of financial cutbacks at the end of the 1972/73 season.

Dennis Penford : Torquay United and Torre Trojans FC legend.

Rest in peace gaffer.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
EVERTONED
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by EVERTONED »

Trojan
was garry birch and his dad involved around about that time up in the cops?

if so I was the very fat left winger in the recerves

:)
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

EVERTONED wrote:Trojan
was garry birch and his dad involved around about that time up in the cops?

if so I was the very fat left winger in the recerves

:)
I remember you Eddie, nice to see you've lost your puppy fat. :clap:

Indeed that pitch "up the Copse"(Ellacombe Copse) was Winchester Lodge Stadium, the first home ground of Torre Trojans FC.

It was Kevin and Gary together with father Larry, right from the beginning when they lived at the top of Ellacombe Church Road. I remember when my dad used to take me to Stoodley Knowle to watch his former side Windsor United, of which Larry Birch was the star outside left.

A lot of the fathers of sons were involved back then including Les Pope, Dennis Lewis, Basil Pillar, Tony Rider, John Baker, Cyril Wilson, Charlie Aggett, Dennis Penford and many more.
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

bloody hell this is bringing back alot of memories for us ellacombe boys,remember playing footie up winchester lodge with one of my best mate pete williams who sadly pass away at a very young age in the 70s in a motorbike accident and not long afterwards had a very bad motorbike accident myself but manage to survived,i'm sure he played for torre trojans ,gary and kevin birch great friends aswell,and trojan our buddy evertoned as still got his puppy fat :rofl: .
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Trojan 67 wrote: I remember you Eddie, nice to see you've lost your puppy fat. :clap:

Indeed that pitch "up the Copse"(Ellacombe Copse) was Winchester Lodge Stadium, the first home ground of Torre Trojans FC.

It was Kevin and Gary together with father Larry, right from the beginning when they lived at the top of Ellacombe Church Road. I remember when my dad used to take me to Stoodley Knowle to watch his former side Windsor United, of which Larry Birch was the star outside left.A lot of the fathers of sons were involved back then including Les Pope, Dennis Lewis, Basil Pillar, Tony Rider, John Baker, Cyril Wilson, Charlie Aggett, Dennis Penford and many more.
Kevin and Gary Birch cousins of mine and I have exchanged posts with Trojan in the past about them. Their father Larry (still alive) was some player and was a star in the Torquay United A team and later with Brixham United when they were really good and winning everything. Kevin and Gary's gorgeous sister Fiona never gets a mention in all this football talk but was an excellent baby sitter and good friend 35 years or so ago!

Dennis Penford. An inspiration and guiding light to young footballers and a man to always be admired and remembered. RIP.
bruciesbootcleaner

Post by bruciesbootcleaner »

R.I.P. Dennis
Attachments
Torre Trojans 1970
Torre Trojans 1970
torre trojans 1970.A jpg.jpg (44.14 KiB) Viewed 2619 times
sonofwod
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by sonofwod »

Worthy sentiments Trojan67. R.I.P Dennis.

Being from a slightly younger generation, I was lucky enough to be taught by Chris Penford, both in the classroom and on the football pitch and he was also my head of house at Torquay Boys' - an absolutely terrific bloke and an early hero of mine. He personally came to see me at primary school to tell me he wanted me to join Davys House and left a great first impression that lasts to this day. Coincidentally, I was also taught by his wife at that primary school.

My sincere condolences to their family.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

The names to the faces in the picture above :

Back row, left to right : Dennis Penford (Manager), Les Burnett, Pete Lewis, Stuart Fleet, Charlie Aggett (Chairman), Andy Pougiourios, Steve Aggett, Dave Critchlow, Les Pope (Coach/Trainer)

Front row, left to right : Chris Penford, Kevin Birch, Steve Pope (Captain), Trojan 67 (club comedian ;-) :nod: ), Mark Wilson, Mark Baker.

Just in shot is club mascot Lloyd Thomas.
robbotufc
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by robbotufc »

Mark Wilson is a regular torquay supporter see him quite often at home matches
bruciesbootcleaner

Post by bruciesbootcleaner »

Trojan 67 wrote:The names to the faces in the picture above :

Back row, left to right : Dennis Penford (Manager), Les Burnett, Pete Lewis, Stuart Fleet, Charlie Aggett (Chairman), Andy Pougiourios, Steve Aggett, Dave Critchlow, Les Pope (Coach/Trainer)

Front row, left to right : Chris Penford, Kevin Birch, Steve Pope (Captain), Trojan 67 (club comedian ;-) :nod: ), Mark Wilson, Mark Baker.

dear trojan 67, just scroll the photo & just like magic the names will appear!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Did not know Dennis Penford, however i can see he was a very well liked and respected man, just thought i would add for those who knew him, a mimute's silence was held at all pioneer league matchs yesterday.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Hopefully the board of TUFC will see fit to follow suit and honour the memory of Dennis with a minute's silence/applause at this Friday night's game against Barnet.

Dennis was the long time secretary of the Torbay Pioneer League and to be remembered in that way yesterday is just and appropriate.

Then there's bruciesbootcleaner. No folks, it's in no reference to the negative brucie who posts on here. It's an original fellow Trojan ;-) who has the sharpest, quickest wit of anyone I know and who used to clean the boots of STUCKEY the BRUCE, who used to fly down the Popside wing to the chant of . . . . .

(8) BRUCE ! BRUCE ! BRUCE ! (8) :clap: :bow: :clap:
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Trojan 67 wrote:The names to the faces in the picture above :

Ye Gods. No wonder his mother wanted to send him back whence he came lol :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Yeah, when I popped out, the midwife took one look at the ugly sod and instead of slapping my arse, she slapped both my mum and dad !
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Back in my dark and distant youth I remember Dennis as we had quite a rivalry with Torre Trojans. I played a season for Kingsteignton YC U15s and remember many a clash at Sandygate and down in various pitches in the Torquay area. One was the Pioneer League Cup Semi Final when it finished Torre Trojans 3 KYC 2 AET. Think that was 1974ish. Also more than one cup final at Plainmoor where it was just about honours even with a win apiece.

My younger brother went on to play for Trojans a few years later as well.

Thanks and Rest in Peace Mr Penfold.
Oblivion!!!!