Reasons for our good form + recent games review

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Reasons for our good form + recent games review

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

At times during our 7 game run without a win i honestly couldn't see the wood for the trees. We let in 3 in the first half at home to Rotherham, conceded late on at home to Morecambe, put in two of the worst performances i have EVER seen from a Torquay side against Shrewsbury and 10 man Bradford and were battered out of sight by Gillingham and Southend. At Bradford i sat in the stands and simply could not believe what i was witnessing out there on the pitch. Andrew Davies gets dismissed after about 20 minutes, they go one up and we hardly get out of our own half after spending 70 minutes passing the ball sideways. It was truly demoralising and came off the back of a similar performance away at Shrewsbury.

After our heavy defeat by the seaside at Roots Hall many people were seriously questioning Lings tenure as manager of Torquay not to mention his ability as a manager and as a recruiter of players. Saah was being pilloried and calls for Ellis were made by some, me included. I confess to not being overjoyed at Lings appointment and doubted his credentials, our bad run of form during this period plus the defensive floodgates opening with alarming regularity led me to believe i was correct in my assumptions. I was never AT ANY POINT calling for Ling to be sacked or resign but from what i'd seen in games thus far we had been far too sterile, too negative and didn't work hard enough. Obviously there are tactics and formations to take into consideration when sending out a team; however, i just thought that at least if we address these issues and see what happens then we'll see where we are.

October 25th, tuesday night at Plainmoor vs AFC Wimbledon was the unexpected turning point and set us up for where we are now. I couldn't see it coming and i'm sure many of you guys couldn't also. This game and the game vs Hereford at home the saturday following had some people saying 4 points at least here and the pressure is off Martin for the time being. I joked with the lad who works in my local bookies when he asked me how i thought we would do tonight ( vs AFC ) and i said given our propensity to ship goals faster than the speed of light and our propensity to score goals too it would be 3-3. We battered them out of sight 4-0 and followed up with a comfortable 2-0 win against Hereford too.

I didn't see any of those games but i did go to Crewe the next weekend and we absolutely blew them away. Yes they weren't great but i refuse to let anything take the edge of that performance, we were so positive, so confident in possession, working hard with and without the ball and creating chances. It was an absolute joy to watch and well worth the £19 ( yes £19 to sit down at Crewe - robbing t***s! ) i paid on the day. Everybody put in a real shift and were first to everything and contrasting that with the Bradford performance it really became apparent that a positive, confident, hard working approach had worked wonders. There were a few players that could have done a lot more without the ball that day like Howe BUT the last 3 games i've seen he has really worked hard, never given anything up and he looks fitter and more mobile.

Chesterfield in the cup, get in there just down the road from me. Defeat expected. Didn't play that well as an attacking force but kept up the work ethic and graft against a team a league above and we scored three great goals. This game made me applaud the character and resolve of the lads as when they equalised i thought that we would capitulate and get beaten three or four. We didn't. We dug in, stood firm and fashioned the odd chance out of nothing that were clinically despatched by Howe and Nico.

We beat the gargs 3-1 following this, a game most expected a win from so perhaps the pressure was more on the lads - that and it being an eagerly anticipated local derby. Character and spirit in abundance.

We then went to Vale Park on a freezing night in the potteries, i wouldn't have wanted to be in shorts on that night i can tell you! We had the odd chance but were under the cosh a little by a big, strong Vale side with a few tricky attackers. The workrate and desire to track back and win the ball especially from our defence was noticable - i even gave my man of the match to Oastler, he was that dogged.

Then came the sour defeat at the weekend at Bramall Lane. The stats say we lost the game but for nearly 70 minutes we were absolutely unbelievable trying to hold on to a lead against what is effectively a championship side at home. They have got full internationals in the squad whilst we are just happy tohave a full squad! But for 2 humongous errors by Ellis and Bobby and we could have drawn that game or even got the win. I was proud to support Torquay that day despite some idiotic chanting and despite me leaving the stadium after the third went in. I left the stadium not because i was deeply unhappy as the team had played shite but because i was SO annoyed and frustrated you wouldn't believe and i had problems dealing with it so i just left. I apportion no blame to Ellis and Bobby for the errors as they are just things that can happen. Yes you could argue they should have done better but the rest of the game they were both immense, they were ALL immense.

Getting to end of the novel now and i put forward my theory as to why we have improved so much since the Shrimpers battering. Simple, everybody working their b******s off, trusting each other and believing that they can go out there and do the business against anyone - and i believe generally they can. We have had key players out at various stages Saah, Morris, Bodin, O'Kane and Lathrope yet we have still progressed and dealt with it. Ling has got his tactics and selection spot on AND he has approached the games in a POSITIVE manner believing the lads can get a result anywhere. I know it can, and will change soon and we will have another bad spell but Ling and the players have proved to us that they are good enough to compete at this level, a couple at a higher level like Damon, Eunan, Manse, Bobby, Rene, Ellis maybe and a couple should be at a lower level IMHO like Stevens, Atieno and McPhee but i'm not going to stop thanking them for giving their all to us fans in recent weeks, especially away from home where we spend shedloads of money to watch them and lots of time too. Thats all we ask. Congrats to Martin and the lads for a great last 1 and a half months!

As as side issue, does anyone reckon Saah will fit straight in to the starting line up after he recovers from injury? Despite Ellis using his leg as a nine iron on saturday, i still prefer the defensive line up we now have.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Damn, I was going to post something like this, but you beat me to it. And you've done it much better than I would have done.

I was beginning to get worried during that winless run, but credit where it's due, manager and players have turned it around bigtime. The Gulls are now a team to be reckoned with, and prospects are good. Martin Ling has answered the pre-season doubters in the best possible way. We could even be in a play-off spot come January.

The only possible worries now are injuries and suspensions, but there's always the possibility of another signing or two in January should it be necessary. I don't think it will be, with Danny Stevens in the team.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 06 Dec 2011, 17:03, edited 1 time in total.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Credit where credit's due, the lads have been playing excellently the last few games.
Need to keep our feet on the ground though, a busy period coming up and the lads need to keep working hard in order to sustain the good form.
You mention Stevens as a lower league player, but i've been impressed with him recently too, he has scored some very decent goals too.
Keep up the hard work.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Gullscorer wrote:I think he's so prejudiced against Stevens, he must have been bullied as a child by someone called Danny.. =D

I know, poor lil Danny. He must have had a really hard time against BIG OL' Danny and thats why he is repressed as a footballer! :clap: :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Andy, the one thing I love about you is how you can fly off the deep end and throw your toys out the pram, it has me in hysterics knowing full well you'll be back later with an open apology. One thing nobody can take away from you is that you go with your emotions. That was a quality OP and I'm just glad that I was able to see past what was happening and keep faith in Martin Ling to turn things around. As I;ve said before, he;s a real breath of fresh air after Buckle and I know that's how the players view him too, even those not currently in the starting eleven. I get the feeling there are now players prepared to run through brick walls for ML and that is something you just can't buy at our level. Good on him for turning things around, long may it continue.

Martin Lings Yellow Army :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Good post post A-A Gull, dont want to hash over old ground to much, i was shocked at martin Ling's appointment the same as everybody else purely because he was not in anyway linked to the job, however i think we all know know, his appointment was borne from a recommendation to our board who went to him.

Again old ground , however we all know Martin Ling's has had one sucsess in management and one failure, many Orient fan's will tell there club is what it is today thanks to work done by Lingy, also i believe he has set up scouting networks for Walsall and Hib's north of the border, so when i read through countless posts during that winless run questioning whehter Lingy could spot a player if one was right in front of his nose, i did chuckle..of course he can, however our budget will only stretch so far.

Martin ling goes about his buinsness in a much difference way to Buckle, i dont think our current squad is any where near want Martin Ling would like and because of the finance's at the club Lingy will have to go about things in a slow and methodical way, he will get there, that i have never doubted from the start.

The winless run i believe was actually 8 games, and yes i was concerned aswell, however on two front's, we as you rightly said were leaking goals and some real badun's to boot, i did not understand this as we had Shuan Taylor on the coaching staff a quailty defender in his time, if he could not fix our defensive woe's, who could.

Also at the time i did a thread , where i questioned whehter our club finances/attendances were so poor , could our club only now support conference football, thats still a long term worry to be honest.

I think the turn around in results performances could have a lot to do with the fact we have a new manager and half the squad our new aswell, there was allways going to be time needed to gell, and we have seen Mansell come out and say the squad are doing more things togehter off the field now, and becoming a tigher group.

I think also it has taken time for Lingy to understand what his best team /formation and tatic's are, he appears to have found a way of playing that suits the team, and fair play to both him and Taylor the back four look so much tighter and solid now, long may it continue, as no doubt there will times were the team struggle to get results again.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Southampton Gull wrote:Andy, the one thing I love about you is how you can fly off the deep end and throw your toys out the pram, it has me in hysterics knowing full well you'll be back later with an open apology. One thing nobody can take away from you is that you go with your emotions. That was a quality OP and I'm just glad that I was able to see past what was happening and keep faith in Martin Ling to turn things around. As I;ve said before, he;s a real breath of fresh air after Buckle and I know that's how the players view him too, even those not currently in the starting eleven. I get the feeling there are now players prepared to run through brick walls for ML and that is something you just can't buy at our level. Good on him for turning things around, long may it continue.

Martin Lings Yellow Army :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Cheers Dave. I did get slightly concerned when i read of the thing you love about me but carried on reading and it all became clearer. =D . I did have a shocking disciplinary record when i was playing football mainly due to throwing the toys out of the pram like you say. I had two scouts from Newcastle United and Forest come to watch me specially once and i got dismissed after 10 minutes for taking the match ball into the changing rooms after he wouldn't give me a penalty!! Needless to say my fledgling football career didn't begin at St James's or the City Ground. It began at Boothferry Park no less and ended at Brodsworth WMC. Mores the pity. I do suffer an autistic spectrum disorder which makes people think i'm a bit eccentric, i like to think i'm straight and true and say what i mean and not a lot of people like bluntness but often its just the best way of going about things. If i'm harsh or wrong then i'll admit it after reflection but if its something i believe in then i'll be stubborn to the death. Glad you enjoyed the thread anyway, but you didn't answer the final question - SAAH back in or ELLIS to stay? :-D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You remember I said a few months ago now, that I was really disappointed with something (stupid) you had said, not because it was intrinsically stupid, but because you are capable of so much better. Well this, motherlover, is the sort of thing I was talking about.

Top drawer OP, not seen one that good (except in the matchday threads, eh Nick ;-) ) for a while.

It helps, of course, that you're right. ML has turned around what was a disastrous opening few games. I, like Dave, managed to keep the faith with him, understanding that he's a new manager in a tough division, working on a budget of £6.50, and I'm glad I did. Same thing happened with PB the start of the second year in the Conference, and, despite his problems (massive ego, tiny penis brain) look where he took us in the end.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Sometimes not signing someone is just as important as signing someone. Ling saying in public (during our bad run) that he has 100% faith in the lads in the squad here to turn it around and that he wouldn't sign anybody looks as though it gave the players that extra bit of motivation and maybe confidence. Our much maligned paper thin squad has also most importantly come up trumps. Thus far Ellis has stepped into the defence extremely well, Lathrope has come into the team and played his part and also Stevens is showing a consistency that he has never shown. That's credit to the individuals (all 3 were previous subs) as well as the coaching staff for seemingly getting a consistency out of 3 traditionally inconsistant players. I also think we have 1 or 2 others currently not playing that if were needed wouldn't let anybody down either.

I've warmed to Ling, he wasn't my 5th choice at the start of the season but the players respect him, he knows how to get the best out of what he's got and he doesn't moan about stuff. He just quietly gets on with things and he knows what he wants. Doesn't complicate things and doesn't ask players to do things they aren't happy doing. One criticism of PB which I would agree with was at times too many square pegs in round holes, and often he'd be moving around who I felt were our better players to accomodate others. Ling doesn't do that, I am certain had PB been in charge when we lost O Kane to suspension and then Lathrope he'd have changed our system, Ling hasn't. He knows the players are happy in it and it's up to someone else to come in and do a job within that framework. For me, that's the way to go. don't complicate things, especially with lower league footballers that possibly don't have the quality to keep changing systems.

A month or so ago I thought there were more questions than answers with a lot of our squad but a lot of them have now answered them with flying colours, the likes of Oastler, Lathrope, Saah, Stevens and Ellis, I now feel totally fine with them playing for us in League 2 whereas I had doubts not so long ago. There are some we still don't know about but I look at the spine of our team and it's very strong for this level Olejnik - Saah/Robbo/Ellis - O Kane Mansell - Howe, we've got 3 of the outstanding players in this league for me there in Olejnik, O Kane and Howe. It will keep us around the middle of the table. In the same way the players aren't world beaters now, they weren't utterly useless a month ago either. We are what we are and that's a solid League 2 side that on our day can beat anyone in this league and if we aren't at it can lose to anyone in this league.

I think we'll win slightly more than we lose over the course of the season, finish around 12th/13th place and that will represent an excellent achievement for this squad this season with the difficulties Ling has been presented with in terms of making this squad.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers Matt for the kind words.
Sunny
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: DANNY STEVENS

Post by Sunny »

austrianandygull wrote:At times during our 7 game run without a win i honestly couldn't see the wood for the trees. We let in 3 in the first half at home to Rotherham, conceded late on at home to Morecambe, put in two of the worst performances i have EVER seen from a Torquay side against Shrewsbury and 10 man Bradford and were battered out of sight by Gillingham and Southend. At Bradford i sat in the stands and simply could not believe what i was witnessing out there on the pitch. Andrew Davies gets dismissed after about 20 minutes, they go one up and we hardly get out of our own half after spending 70 minutes passing the ball sideways. It was truly demoralising and came off the back of a similar performance away at Shrewsbury.

After our heavy defeat by the seaside at Roots Hall many people were seriously questioning Lings tenure as manager of Torquay not to mention his ability as a manager and as a recruiter of players. Saah was being pilloried and calls for Ellis were made by some, me included. I confess to not being overjoyed at Lings appointment and doubted his credentials, our bad run of form during this period plus the defensive floodgates opening with alarming regularity led me to believe i was correct in my assumptions. I was never AT ANY POINT calling for Ling to be sacked or resign but from what i'd seen in games thus far we had been far too sterile, too negative and didn't work hard enough. Obviously there are tactics and formations to take into consideration when sending out a team; however, i just thought that at least if we address these issues and see what happens then we'll see where we are.

October 25th, tuesday night at Plainmoor vs AFC Wimbledon was the unexpected turning point and set us up for where we are now. I couldn't see it coming and i'm sure many of you guys couldn't also. This game and the game vs Hereford at home the saturday following had some people saying 4 points at least here and the pressure is off Martin for the time being. I joked with the lad who works in my local bookies when he asked me how i thought we would do tonight ( vs AFC ) and i said given our propensity to ship goals faster than the speed of light and our propensity to score goals too it would be 3-3. We battered them out of sight 4-0 and followed up with a comfortable 2-0 win against Hereford too.

I didn't see any of those games but i did go to Crewe the next weekend and we absolutely blew them away. Yes they weren't great but i refuse to let anything take the edge of that performance, we were so positive, so confident in possession, working hard with and without the ball and creating chances. It was an absolute joy to watch and well worth the £19 ( yes £19 to sit down at Crewe - robbing t***s! ) i paid on the day. Everybody put in a real shift and were first to everything and contrasting that with the Bradford performance it really became apparent that a positive, confident, hard working approach had worked wonders. There were a few players that could have done a lot more without the ball that day like Howe BUT the last 3 games i've seen he has really worked hard, never given anything up and he looks fitter and more mobile.

Chesterfield in the cup, get in there just down the road from me. Defeat expected. Didn't play that well as an attacking force but kept up the work ethic and graft against a team a league above and we scored three great goals. This game made me applaud the character and resolve of the lads as when they equalised i thought that we would capitulate and get beaten three or four. We didn't. We dug in, stood firm and fashioned the odd chance out of nothing that were clinically despatched by Howe and Nico.

We beat the gargs 3-1 following this, a game most expected a win from so perhaps the pressure was more on the lads - that and it being an eagerly anticipated local derby. Character and spirit in abundance.

We then went to Vale Park on a freezing night in the potteries, i wouldn't have wanted to be in shorts on that night i can tell you! We had the odd chance but were under the cosh a little by a big, strong Vale side with a few tricky attackers. The workrate and desire to track back and win the ball especially from our defence was noticable - i even gave my man of the match to Oastler, he was that dogged.

Then came the sour defeat at the weekend at Bramall Lane. The stats say we lost the game but for nearly 70 minutes we were absolutely unbelievable trying to hold on to a lead against what is effectively a championship side at home. They have got full internationals in the squad whilst we are just happy tohave a full squad! But for 2 humongous errors by Ellis and Bobby and we could have drawn that game or even got the win. I was proud to support Torquay that day despite some idiotic chanting and despite me leaving the stadium after the third went in. I left the stadium not because i was deeply unhappy as the team had played shite but because i was SO annoyed and frustrated you wouldn't believe and i had problems dealing with it so i just left. I apportion no blame to Ellis and Bobby for the errors as they are just things that can happen. Yes you could argue they should have done better but the rest of the game they were both immense, they were ALL immense.

Getting to end of the novel now and i put forward my theory as to why we have improved so much since the Shrimpers battering. Simple, everybody working their b******s off, trusting each other and believing that they can go out there and do the business against anyone - and i believe generally they can. We have had key players out at various stages Saah, Morris, Bodin, O'Kane and Lathrope yet we have still progressed and dealt with it. Ling has got his tactics and selection spot on AND he has approached the games in a POSITIVE manner believing the lads can get a result anywhere. I know it can, and will change soon and we will have another bad spell but Ling and the players have proved to us that they are good enough to compete at this level, a couple at a higher level like Damon, Eunan, Manse, Bobby, Rene, Ellis maybe and a couple should be at a lower level IMHO like Stevens, Atieno and McPhee but i'm not going to stop thanking them for giving their all to us fans in recent weeks, especially away from home where we spend shedloads of money to watch them and lots of time too. Thats all we ask. Congrats to Martin and the lads for a great last 1 and a half months!

As as side issue, does anyone reckon Saah will fit straight in to the starting line up after he recovers from injury? Despite Ellis using his leg as a nine iron on saturday, i still prefer the defensive line up we now have.
JUST WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM WITH DANNY STEVENS ???? When he plays well, scores, makes goals you still have something to moan about. When others have a poor game I don't see you mentioning them and running them down do as you do with Danny. Do you actually know him and he's done something to p**s you off, or is it that he's better looking than you, because there has to be a reason why you are so against him.

Ling has given him the chance to prove himself and he has definately done that, he's scored 5 goals so far and although unfortunately TUFC lost on Saturday, the last goal by Danny was brilliant and even the commentator on Sky Sports remarked on his goal.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Sunny,

Brother, do us all a favour and don't quote the whole post, there's a good chap.

Secondly, have you considered that Andy has spent (as have we all) the last 4 years watching Danny being just about the worst player at the club, and it's taking more than a third of a season of good form to change his opinion totally?
Please, tell us why you rate him as highly as you seem to.
Yes, he's hit some good form just lately, but there is no saying that will last. He certainly doesn't seem to have demonstrated too much natural aptitude to play above this level, indicating that he relies more on hard work than God given talent. This is fine, but with no real skill to fall back on, impact wains with a lack of effort, enforced or otherwise.
I'd love to see him continue the way he is presently, but I don't think he will. This isn't a downer on the boy, it's just the way of life. Eunan will always be as good as he is, because he is such a talent, Danny, I'm not so sure.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Matt this might come to a suprise to many, But Danny is thought of very highly within the sqaud.

I talk to Mr Branston on occasions and he said the talent has always been there, just need his chance on the pitch. Its come to no suprise that Danny is doing well.

To me he is a good footballer, not blessed with height or srength but we all cant be perfect. I agree over the last few seasons hes not done much. Last time i felt he was doing anything was last season in the BSP. Most people have have worked in the club or still do, do think Danny is good enough for league 2. So theres no doubt that the ability is there as we all seen it last few weeks, just what people have quite rightly said he needs to be consistant else that talent is just watsed.

For me the change in form is not down to a single player, i just feel Ling has found the right system and each player fits in well in it. Nice to see players are being used to their strengths.

Ive always loved a defensive mid player, gives that extra cover to the back 4 that i feel every team needs. Damon has come in and done really well, thich is very good. This has given Mans and O'Kane more chance to push forward with less worries. Again Rene up top using his strength, size and ability with two quick guys playing off him is also working a treat. The players have been great but its nice to see the coaching staff in training have found how to make there system work.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

tufcbrett wrote:Matt this might come to a suprise to many, But Danny is thought of very highly within the sqaud.

I talk to Mr Branston on occasions and he said the talent has always been there, just need his chance on the pitch. Its come to no suprise that Danny is doing well.

To me he is a good footballer, not blessed with height or srength but we all cant be perfect. I agree over the last few seasons hes not done much. Last time i felt he was doing anything was last season in the BSP. Most people have have worked in the club or still do, do think Danny is good enough for league 2. So theres no doubt that the ability is there as we all seen it last few weeks, just what people have quite rightly said he needs to be consistant else that talent is just watsed.

For me the change in form is not down to a single player, i just feel Ling has found the right system and each player fits in well in it. Nice to see players are being used to their strengths.

Ive always loved a defensive mid player, gives that extra cover to the back 4 that i feel every team needs. Damon has come in and done really well, thich is very good. This has given Mans and O'Kane more chance to push forward with less worries. Again Rene up top using his strength, size and ability with two quick guys playing off him is also working a treat. The players have been great but its nice to see the coaching staff in training have found how to make there system work.

Why would that be such a surprise? He's been here for four seasons, he wouldn't have lasted that long if nobody liked him. That doesn't mean he'a any good though. He's hit a purple patch, big deal, some of us have paid out thousands of pounds over the last four years to watch him serve up dross most of the time so we're entitled to ciriticise him if that's what we want to do. As it happens, when he's playing well he's a joy to watch, it just doesn't happen as often as it should.

As for talking to Branston about him, what do you expect him to say? "He's shit, couldn't tackle a wet paper bag". I know, I'm being facetious, but the point is, we all know what Danny is capable of, we also know he hasn't maintained any form for long in the last 4 years. Maybe, just maybe, Martin Ling is the man to do bring it out of him, I hope so, nothing personal against Danny Stevens, no matter how many of his family want to come on here sticking up for him, but if we pay our hard-earned to watch him play, we're entitled to air our views.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com