Local Cup Finals at Plainmoor

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Local Cup Finals at Plainmoor

Post by Trojan 67 »

I'm unsure as to why they are no longer an end of season feature at Plainmoor. Was it Mr Bateson that ended them ?

The facilities of local South Devon clubs have improved vastly since my day, and are now able to facilitate Cup Finals at their grounds.

When I was at school, it was my goal to get to a Cup Final and play at Plainmoor. I achieved it twice with Torre Trojans (Torquay United Ex Professionals Cup) and twice with Torquay United Colts (Dahl Cup).

If today, you gave a keen schoolboy footballer the choice between playing a Cup Final at say Coach Road Newton Abbot and Plainmoor, which would they choose ?

One senior South Devon League Cup Final was a regular fixture at Plainmoor, that being the Dartmouth Cup Final (SDL Division 1). The Wednesday League Cup Final (Calder Cup?) was another regular fixture together with the Sunday League Cup Final. And not forgetting the Torbay & District Schools Webber Shield (under 14's).

Can we have our Cup Finals back please ?
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

Hi Trojan,
I have already met with The South Devon Football League with a view to holding discussions at the start of next season about using Plainmoor again for some of their finals. The SDFL has already made arrangements for this season. I was very pleased that we now have the opportunity to work together again, hence the discount deal in place for tonight's game for groups of local footballers who do not get the chance to come to Plainmoor because they are playing themselves on Saturday's.
Regards,
Andrew
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

That is great! As a keen football in the SDFL this really is encouraging, and will surely boost the reputation and interest in the club throughout the area. Good to know the club is already on it!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Andrew

Are you able to say anything about the take up of that offer?
TUST number 080
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

A Candy wrote:Hi Trojan,
I have already met with The South Devon Football League with a view to holding discussions at the start of next season about using Plainmoor again for some of their finals. The SDFL has already made arrangements for this season. I was very pleased that we now have the opportunity to work together again, hence the discount deal in place for tonight's game for groups of local footballers who do not get the chance to come to Plainmoor because they are playing themselves on Saturday's.
Regards,
Andrew
Even though I can't make tonight due to funds or lack there of, that's a belting idea. My Saturdays are taken up by playing so that is great stuff.
bruciesbootcleaner

Post by bruciesbootcleaner »

i remember when wait for it
there was an annual game played between " the inner & outer teams"
much to the late freddy kings annoyance!

a free inflatable fullsize doll of justin fashenu to the 1st person who can identify who both teams represented - all thru the 60`s untill early 70`s!
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Torbay v Rest of South Devon
TUST number 080
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

lloyd...your a brave man to be wanting an inflatable Justin Fashaneu :O
bruciesbootcleaner

Lloyder5 wrote:Torbay v Rest of South Devon
:scarf: sorry mate answer not correct!
WHG
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by WHG »

Was it Hele v Watcombe at the back of his shop.That would of been more of a war I thunk :lol:
bruciesbootcleaner

WHG wrote:Was it Hele v Watcombe at the back of his shop.That would of been more of a war I thunk :lol:
no not hele v watcombe either!
:keepie:
bruciesbootcleaner

bruciesbootcleaner wrote: no not hele v watcombe either!
:keepie:
come on trojan 67 you must have some idea! :goal:
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

bruciesbootcleaner wrote:come on trojan 67 you must have some idea! :goal:

Give us a clue Cap'n, and a better one than the original.

As for Freddie King, remember him well. :clap:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

They used to have the final of the primary schools competition there too. As I recall it was called the Bewley Cup.

Oldway lost in the final to...place in Brixham, began with F (played in colchester-esque blue and white stripes) 2-1 the year I remember...probaly about 87 or 88.

[Edit - I had to check - it was Furzeham. That was driving me mad, thank you Google]
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
bruciesbootcleaner

Trojan 67 wrote:
Give us a clue Cap'n, and a better one than the original.

As for Freddie King, remember him well. :clap:
ok trojan old bean, the annual game on the "hallowed turf" that is plainmoor, took place at the end of every season, for approx 15years from late 50`s to early 70`s,
between as i previously said the "inner & outer" teams
these teams were made up from the local council staff who were based in the westhill road main depot ( now where drug city tramways is built )
the inner team were as the name suggests, made up from the people who worked in the offices, & obviously the outer staff consisted of the men who, worked outside i.e.
dustmen,groundworkers, & the like,
it was allowed because plainmoor was owned by us or in other words the local council.
they played for the right to hold for a year an old battered silver cup which i belive was found at our local tip.
as i said the game was scheduled & played each year as the last game of the season,
hence freddy kings annoyance at having to wait for what he percieved to be a nonsense game
before he could start to rip up the playing surface & start to prepare his pitch for the next season,
for me as a plainmoor lad it remains another great memory of days gone bye!

p.s. the life size inflatable justin fashanu doll will be donated to a good cause ( the sidney hindle memorial fund ) "anyone remember dear old sid"?