Torquay United v Barnet

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Dave_Pougher wrote: a point or three !!!

=D :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

NICHOLSON NICHOLSON NICHOLSON NICHOLSON (My favourite player don't you know?). Effing beautiful!! I'm gonna now get absolutely hammered!!!!!!!!!!! Whhhhhhhhhoooooooooahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Its taken me 5 minutes after the event to post this but who gives a shite ? WE WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :goal:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Oh, Nicho, YOU BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TUST member 203
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

8 / 9 and 6/7 tonight, arse!! but that nicho goal made me a small profit after i'd got on at 3/1 and 4/1 in play!

anyone know why typing 8 / 9 without the spaces results in a smiley face, not the odds i wanted to portray??
still keeping the faith
northharrowgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northharrowgull »

Ok so when was the last time we won a match in the 4th minute of extra time. Answers on a postcard please !!!!
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

northharrowgull wrote:Ok so when was the last time we won a match in the 4th minute of extra time. Answers on a postcard please !!!!
I am probably mistaken but didn't we get a last minute goal maybe the 5th injury time minute when we won 5-4 against someone (kidderminster?) in the BSP?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Lovely Stuff, not my words Michael but the words of Shakin' Stevens.

Back of the Net.

Fantastic win against a decent side, that's the time to score!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Jellied eels and mash for the lads tonight :rofl:
Magnificent result - decent little run going now :clap:
Up to 8th... :bow:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

royalgull wrote:Lovely Stuff, not my words Michael but the words of Shakin' Stevens.

Back of the Net.

Fantastic win against a decent side, that's the time to score!

Kiss my face, not my words but the words of top gear magazine. I bet Nico's got some batteries for an Eriksson~!!! haha royal - get in there. :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

5-4... wasn't it Mansell?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The 5-4 result was Histon, if I remember correctly!

As for tonight, a tight game which I think we just edged! Hit post, two off the line, narrow misses, a disallowed goal from Stevens. I thought it was just offside, but obviously I was in the minority, so I'll have to check the highlights tomorrow night.

As for Barnet, they came with a plan, and it worked for long periods. McLeod occupied the space between Robbo and Ellis for prolonged lengths of time, causing a few problems, but nothing the two centre backs struggled with.

Just as I was accepting a point, Nicho pulls an absolute belter out - incredible goal! Could not have been more in the corner! Really great finish and a perfect end to a good game!

Yellows!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well to be honest that was real tough match, Barnet are a much improved side, and enjoyed periods were they were on top, Bobby was at his brilliant best tonight and had to be as our defense came under a lot of pressure.

However our team created a stack full of chances aswell, and to be fair there keeper was on form aswell, the game appeared to be heading a fair result draw, when up stepped Nicho and stole the points.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

Bloggy wrote:5-4... wasn't it Mansell?
Dont think it was Hilly, may have been Todd or Ellis as am sure it was a CB and didnt we go 3-0 up???....
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Wasn't there tonight but very proud of the team for their efforts and the result. Another league clean sheet and a goal at the death. Its actually looking really good for us at the moment and i imagine the confidence and camaraderie in the camp after such a dramatic victory is sky high. Maybe we can dream of not a play off spot but something much more elusive....................................................................a win at Accy next sat in the freezing grimness of witch country!!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

My report tonight could just talk about Nicholson’s goal, what a wonder strike! But more of that fantastic goal later, let’s get into the match report.

In the first few seconds of the game, Danny and Nicholson linked up down the wing. Then the possession was over on the other side with Bodin. Billy was then fouled and won a free kick. A ball was then played to Oastler, he played a ball to Howe but no danger was created. It was then Barnet on the attack with their midfield using pace down the middle and in the end won a corner. However back to the Torquay attack a nice bit of play with Eunan, Nicholson and Danny linking up but nothing came from the move. Barnet were still using pace making Bobby make saves from crosses. After this Torquay were keeping hold of the ball but not creating much except corners. One corner was won after Bodin’s shot was deflected wide. Eunan took the corner, it came to Danny who played another ball towards goal the fans thought it came off a Barnet hand, but no penalty was given.

Barnet were playing quite well coming forward winning a few free kicks but really caused pressure from open play, mainly on the wing. After this Eunan was on the break running towards goal one on one with the goalkeeper. O’Kane was at the side of the goal mouth he shot with power and it rattled off the post. Even though we had this chance to score, it was really Barnet on the front foot, their winger causing the most of the pressure. With that attack from the visitors, a cross came in with a header coming on the end of it, but Bobby saved superbly well down to his left. That was about it for the first half, we weren’t playing very well the long ball wasn’t working. A very short first half report but the second half will be just the opposite!

Straight away an attack came from Torquay. Eunan tackled and got the ball and played a through ball to Danny. The pass was intercepted however Danny gambled and retrieved the ball back. Stevens then ran with confidence he shot towards goal but the goalkeeper saved. Barnet then came forward a minute later but nothing happened. Nicholson then took a throw in and he gave it to Danny. Stevens then crossed the ball in but no-one was there. Howe and Oastler then linked but Joe’s cross was cleared. Up the other end Barnet had a throw in and it was played in long. The ball was controlled the Barnet striker turned, shot but was saved and the ball went out for a corner. The corner made no danger but later on a shot came in but it was saved by Bobby. We kept playing this long ball and that gave the ball away and the Barnet midfield ran with pace. A Barnet player ran forwards with no-one tackling him, he found a pass but the player he was looking for was in an offside position.

Then Torquay had a nice bit of play Nicholson, Danny, Lathrope and Eunan involved. Danny played a ball to Nicholson, then Nicholson made a cross but it went wide. A few seconds later Danny made a nice run, he was given the ball and put it in the net, but it was ruled out for offside. Mansell was playing well, linking up with Oastler. Joe put in a nice ball to Howe but the defender just got to the ball first and cleared away for a corner to Torquay. The following corner unfortunately came to nothing. Mansell again linked up with Oastler and later won a throw in. Eunan took it, played a one two, crossed in a good ball but again no-one was there! Nice link up play but not a lot being created, until the clock was at twenty past nine. Bodin off for Morris on 77 minutes.

Nicholson, Eunan and Howe linked up well. The ball eventually came to Nicholson, he shot from a distance it came all the way through the defence and Danny was just a whisper away from sticking the ball in the net. Eunan then linked up with players around him, he put another good ball in but it again came to nothing. It was all Torquay creating decent chances. Nicholson skilfully played down the wing, found a pass to Eunan who was on the edge of the box. O’Kane shot with power but his shot was saved. The ball then went up in the air, bounced and just missed the crossbar while going out of play for a corner. A few minutes later, Howe then received the ball passing to Morris he then shot well but his shot curled just wide. Atieno on for Danny Stevens.

A free kick and a corner were won by Torquay but they were both wasted. When 3 minutes added on time was about to be played we tried to get through the Barnet defence but we couldn’t. We made one last push and it definitely paid off. Eunan gave the ball to Nicholson and from 40 yards out his shot went straight in the top corner it was a belter! The referee blew the whistle as soon as the game restarted and United won the game 1-0!

Team Performance: 8.5
Defence: 9
Midfield: 8.5
Attack: 8

Officials: 7

Now for the Player Ratings:

Bobby 9: Bobby played well once again and looked comfortable all game.

Oastler 8: Joe played well also; he worked well defending and also going forward.

Ellis 8: Defended with confidence all game and worked well heading.

Robertson 9: I thought Robbo played really well, heading and clearing the ball away very well.

Nicholson 9: Nico played well in the 2nd half linking up with Eunan and Danny and his strike was just top class.

Mansell 8: Lee put in his usual 100% effort, linked up and tackling well.

Lathrope 8: Damon played well just behind Mansell and Eunan and linked up well with Oastler at times.

Eunan 8.5: O’Kane played his usual top class way by linking up with players around him and creating chances.

Bodin 7.5: I thought Bodin didn’t play too well tonight, however he did link up with Howe at times.

Howe 8: Rene played quite well, using his strength to a good effect; he also linked up well with players around him.

Stevens 8.5: I thought Danny played well, running down the wing really well linking up with Nico. He also deserved to get a goal.

Morris 6: I thought Morris did ok as soon as he came on, he had a good shot at goal as well.

Atieno 4: He didn’t do much when he came on, but he wasn’t on long enough to get a proper rating.

We go on to play Accrington away next Saturday.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.