Torquay United v Barnet

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

huge win tonight. had a feeling it would be close, and after the draw at Port Vale, and the defeat at Sheffield, this was a big test. very very happy with this result. well done the lads.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

austrianandygull wrote:Wasn't there tonight but very proud of the team for their efforts and the result. Another league clean sheet and a goal at the death. Its actually looking really good for us at the moment and i imagine the confidence and camaraderie in the camp after such a dramatic victory is sky high. Maybe we can dream of not a play off spot but something much more elusive....................................................................a win at Accy next sat in the freezing grimness of witch country!!

:clap: :rofl:
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

A good win, but still some question marks for sure.

The first half was a lacklustre performance, from both sides, and other than Eunan's cracking strike, nothing really happened of note.

Second half greatly improved, much more urgency and how we didn't score earlier i will never know! So many chances went begging, and not just half-chances, they were full-blown hit you iin the face chances. Manse (or Danny) was the main sitter, after Nico had zipped in a low cross-shot.

But what a strike from my motm Kevin Nicholson. People around me questioned the idea of getting Nico all the way across there just for a throw that was nearer the half way line than the byline. But after that throw was rebuffed, what an effort, what a goal. Me and my mates were telling Nico to "Release the Kraken" all game, but when he his this we didn;t have enough time to get through the sentece as it zipped into the net so quickly!

How they rated:
Olejnik:8.5 - Some cracking saves, and good distribution, only concern would be some small indecision when coming off his line. But that is probably harsh on my part.
Nicholson:9 - My MOTM, solid defensively, and a big help going forward, and what a goal!
Ellis: 6.7 - I thought he looked shaky in the first half, hacking clearances when a simple ball was on and sometimes missing his tackles. Improved in second half, although had little to do.
Robertson: 7.2 - Generally solid, but i feel he could be more vocal at the back, as i'm sure has already been said.
Oastler: 6.2 - Exposed by pace. Why Sanchez took off their left winger i will never know. He was their main threat and although Oastler gave his all in the chase, his pace ultimately let him down.
Mansell: 6.5 - Shocking miss after Nico's ball in. Other than that he passed quite well and, to his credit, did try to rouse the troops in the first half when things weren't quite clicking.
O'Kane: 6.9 - Not the best game i've seen him play, but he is still undoubtedly a talent. An O'Kane on a mediocre day is still a joy to watch.
Bodin: 6.6 - Drifted in and out of the game, but as with the rest of the team, improved after the break
Stevens: 6.9 - Some direct running and generally kept the ball for our side. Some decent dangerous deliveries also. Still not as dangerous as i would have liked.
Lathrope: 7.5 - I don't think anyone can underestimate how important this man is for the team. Mopping up loose balls, playing it simple and generally getting himself about. Good game today, and i look forward to seeing him develop further.
Howe: 7.0 - I thought he did alright today, but the people i brought weren't happy with him, as it was their first time seeing him. They said he didn't work hard enough, which is ultimately true, but he does have a fantastic presense when he is found with the ball. Held up the ball well and brought others into play.

Morris: 6.8 - In this short amount of time, i think there is reason to be encouraged by his display. He is undoubtedly a 'ball-playing' winger, and is all about the delivery with him. Almost slipped a lovely reverse pass into Stevens, but just over hit it. I think he will come into the side more in the coming weeks.
Atieno: 6.5 - Not a lot of time to impress, but won some headers and chased the ball!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

90+2, I say goodnight to Matt and Diamond Girl and leave the naughty step to make my way out of the ground.

I hover around on the wall infront of the Popside exit steps with my brother, and watch Nico take a throw in directly in front. I look at me bruv and give him a ;-) and knowing :nod: then WALLOP ! :scarf: :clap: :scarf:

Up go my arms in wild celebration and I turn toward me bruv and he's not there ! I'm thinking, where the f'ck's he gone ?

It's a cracker, after Nico's throw, he went for a piss and missed it. :rofl:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Trojan 67 wrote:90+2, I say goodnight to Matt and Diamond Girl and leave the naughty step to make my way out of the ground.

I hover around on the wall infront of the Popside exit steps with my brother, and watch Nico take a throw in directly in front. I look at me bruv and give him a ;-) and knowing :nod: then WALLOP ! :scarf: :clap: :scarf:

Up go my arms in wild celebration and I turn toward me bruv and he's not there ! I'm thinking, where the f'ck's he gone ?

It's a cracker, after Nico's throw, he went for a piss and missed it. :rofl:

A fact I no doubt will enjoy with you when we meet hopefully on Boxing day.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

you an olympic diving judge stevegull, 6.7, 7.2 etc!!
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Just maybe that the goal seconds before the end of the game is some twist of good fortune being returned to us after suffering the other side of the coin last saturday. Ok i know it was a belter but to crack one in like that and to do it with the last kick of the game doesn't happen to us! I'm no mystic meg ( thank f***) but its weird.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

bixieupnorth wrote:you an olympic diving judge stevegull, 6.7, 7.2 etc!!
hahaha! Gotta try and be accurate! :|
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

austrianandygull wrote:Just maybe that the goal seconds before the end of the game is some twist of good fortune being returned to us after suffering the other side of the coin last saturday. Ok i know it was a belter but to crack one in like that and to do it with the last kick of the game doesn't happen to us! I'm no mystic meg ( thank f***) but its weird.
To be fair though, throughout the time I've been watching Torquay (or at least, since I can remember watching Torquay), we have constantly been dealt bitter blows of the last minute goal. It's about time we had a few back.

Probably about an entire seasons worth will do!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
gullsrus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by gullsrus »

funny how fans see things differently. i notice stevegull gives oastler the lowest mark he was actually my mom.i thought he did well against marshall and thats why he was taken off because he was getting no joy. also going forward he was very good tonight with a fantastic pass to eunan at one point shows what he is capable of doing. still its all about opinions but at least the official report backs my thoughts so perhaps i'm not going mad after all :)
cidergull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: eunan okane

Post by cidergull »

A grafting performance against a very competent side. It's not often we win in the last minute from my memory. My personal man of the match was Robbo. A quiet but extremely effective performance at all stages I thought. We should bask in our defensive strength including ofcourse the keeper. We are fortunate for a League Two side to have this strength in defense. McCloud, League Two'sTOP scorer was nullified!
And ofcoufse hats off to Mr Ling and Taylor
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

As Gullsrus said, it's funny how we see things differently, I thought Robbo was awful at times last night. Hesitant, criminally allowed a ball to drop in front of him on the edge of the box as he backed away from it and more than once he failed to attack balls he really should be dealing with. He did some things well but overall I thought he looked very nervous and far from his best. I also thought Oastler was pretty poor, he looks really slow at times. These are two of my favourite players so it pains me to knock them but I honestly thought both were poor. If it wasn't for Lathrope and Olejnik we could have shipped a few last night.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

gullsrus wrote:funny how fans see things differently. i notice stevegull gives oastler the lowest mark he was actually my mom.i thought he did well against marshall and thats why he was taken off because he was getting no joy. also going forward he was very good tonight with a fantastic pass to eunan at one point shows what he is capable of doing. still its all about opinions but at least the official report backs my thoughts so perhaps i'm not going mad after all :)

Oastler is your mom? :~D
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by stevegull »

We're not in America now usagull!

I saw many people gave Oastler credit in the motm thread on here, so maybe i am a bit off the mark! However, i do still think he was a little exposed in the first half especially. Although, i may have been a bit harsh in my report, as he did attack well in the second half, and helped the side by being a wide 'outlet' for the team. As you've said though, everyone has their opinion! :)
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Health warning about this comment because I didn't see the match. But judging from the comments I am very encouraged. Opinions very about who played well who didn't but it seems to me that this result was achieved by a team that is confident and together. OK some players not on top form but the team found a way to win, albeit late on. It just has a good feel to it all.
TUST number 080