Local Cup Finals at Plainmoor

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

bruciesbootcleaner wrote:p.s. the life size inflatable justin fashanu doll will be donated to a good cause ( the sidney hindle memorial fund ) "anyone remember dear old sid"?

:nod: Flamboyant Sid, what a character. Owned the Hideaway Club.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
sonofwod
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by sonofwod »

happytorq wrote:They used to have the final of the primary schools competition there too. As I recall it was called the Bewley Cup.
Very true. To the best of my knowledge the Bewdley Cup Final was played at Plainmoor until at least 1989, when i played for Sherwell Valley against Babbacombe. I remember the game was drawn and we shared the cup, which was quite odd looking back, but then i suppose you couldn't expect 10/11 year olds to play extra time on a full-size adult pitch...

We also used to play Pioneer League cup finals there until at least 1995 and also certain representative matches. The Grammar School also played some 'high profile' games at Plainmoor, such as in the national schools trophy.

All in all i was lucky enough to play on the hallowed turf a dozen or so times as a kid and every time was a memborable and exciting experience. I was always going to be a Torquay fan, but my first game at Plainmoor cemented that permanently in my psyche. I wonder how many other youngsters would become fans if they could play there??
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

sonofwod wrote:I wonder how many other youngsters would become fans if they could play there??

Precisely. Good to see the club are actively engaged in bringing local cup finals back to Plainmoor.

It will do adults good as well, knowing first hand what it's like out there playing in front of a baying mob. Take a tip from someone who knows : show 'em the covert finger then listen to 'em howl even louder. :)
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I have enjoyed this thread. I played at Plainmoor in two cup finals in the early 60s firstly for Coombe Pafford against Brixham Villa Colts and scored in a 1-1 draw aet. The second final was for Upton Vale but I cannot remember our opponents.

In the Coombe Pafford team were guys like Tony Crispin, Frank Sweet, Dave Street and Mike Loewy.

The Upton Vale team included Barry Holmes who I still see, Derek Cload, Mike Nicholls, Adrian Head, Terry Wright, Pete Watton, Brian SPencer and Pete Martin.

At the time it was a huge thrill to play at Plainmoor and I really do applaud the club for considering re-instating local cup finals at Plainmoor. You never forget the experience. Great times. The Upton Vale team who won the Les Bishop cup final in 1966 held both a 25th and 40th reunion and we look forward to the 50th in 2016!
bruciesbootcleaner

Post by bruciesbootcleaner »

Trojan 67 wrote:
:nod: Flamboyant Sid, what a character. Owned the Hideaway Club.
quite right trojan, sidney hindle torquay`s answer to larry grayson - "i knew he was gay because when i kissed him, he closed his eyes!" ha ha memories of torquay past!
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

In a not-entirely-unrelated note; Is there any chance the club could do the end-of-season thing where you could play on the pitch at Plainmoor? I forget what they called it but as I recall the last time was in about 2004 - i think you paid some cash (dont remember how much) and you played on the hallowed turf with fellow contributors and some of the playing staff. I think it was for charity.

That would be great.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.