Bid for Benyon rejected!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Bid for Benyon rejected!

Post by Plymouth Gull »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 207245.stm

Good news for now, but thinking in the long run, what with Benners' contract up at the end of the season, a tribunal might not be as kind to us as a bid we were to receive now, in my opinion.

I'm a bit unsure on the issue really, as he's proved his importance with his potency to put anything in the goal (admittedly a lot of his goals are from about 6-yards, but not all strikers can manage that - see here ), but if the club were rejecting bids of what I'd imagine would be close to six-figures (or am I overpricing EB here?!) but then the wanting side waited until his contracts up, then we end up with a fraction of what it could have been.

I'll admit I haven't been his biggest fan, but you obviously haven't seen how much the lad has improved since coming here, and at the moment, he's an important player for us.

What do you all make of this?
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I'd expect the club to offer him a new contract, he is important for us, hope to see him get many many more for us!
Steve23
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Steve23 »

Didn't he reject a contract offered recently?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Haven't heard anything like that Steve, but it could easily be true.

A young, hungry player, wanting to move further up the ladder? It wouldn't surprise me, to be honest.

:|
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Dagenham isn't the right move for our Elliot, playing in that side wouldn't be beneficial to his career in my view.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

It was Dagenham!?!?

Well, no disrespect to them but I'd see that as a sideways move if he went there, at most. Not a bigger club than us by any stretch of the imagination..
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

Am with you Nickgull not a great fan of his. It was the right choice by Buckle at this time, as we cannot ignore the fact that he has scored important goals for us this season. If he was to go though it would be nice to get a bit of money for him.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Pretty sure that even if Benyon rejects a contract we offer him, we'd be entitled to compensation if he left in the summer? I mean, he's under 24, so I think I'm right.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

It seems we're turning down bids for our players left-right-and-centre.............................at long last!

We may be a bit short of cash at the moment, but at least we're not selling our players for peanuts as we did in the past!
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Where are we going to get another striker who will score 15 + goals a season?
How much money would we have to pay in transfer fees & wages to get an adequate replacement for E.B.?
I am not surprised that Buckle is not in a hurry to sell Benyon. It's too early yet to put Billy in that spot, & P.B. seems to favour Zeb playing out wide.
Plymgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Plymgull »

The longer we can keep Benyon the happier i will be.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

maybe a part exchange with Rotherham for le fondre will only make me want to sell benyon. ;-)
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I have been a fan from the day he joined - he has been the most natural goalscorer we have had since David Graham.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
ReadinGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicholson

Post by ReadinGull »

he won't be sold. how can i be so sure? simple. he isn't modelling any gear in the online club shop, this and only this guarantees you a move!
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I would be very surprised if Benyon was to move to Dagenham, however it's not suprising that he's getting interest from clubs in League One.

He has improved season after season and I fear if we were to let him go, who would take the role as our 15+ goals a season striker?

Glad to see the club trying not to sell him on the cheap, but PLEASE Bucks, give him a new contract.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!