Greeting From Bristol

General chat about anything else goes here.
oasisgas
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: kuffour

Greeting From Bristol

Post by oasisgas »

Afternoon Gulls fans...

I just wanted to know on what your views are on Keith Curle when he was with you as manager/coach???

I know you guys were relegated under him but do you blame him for it or was it a no hoper even before he took it on???

There is talk that he has applied for the job that is vacant since Tango Man got the boot!!!

Regards

Oasis
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

It's surely about time we make the relationship official; Bristol Rovers are we we send our outcasts.

We'll send Joe Barlow up in a taxi next week.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Difficult to give an opinion really as he wasn't here long enough (15 games) to make a really lasting impression. By the time he took over it was realistically too late to save us after a disastrous takeover which left the club in complete turmoil.

About the only thing I can say was that he (Curle) was actually Colin Lee (CEO)'s first choice as Manager when we got relegated to the BSP. I think he declined becuase his time here wasn't exactly a pleasant one with all the off field problems - not helped by the fact that the acting Chairman at the time upset his wife by not allowing her a seat in the Directors box and also because I think he always knew that Neil Warnock had him lined up for a coaching role as soon as he got back into management.

When Curle turned us down, Lee turned to a young guy, ex player of ours, who was Assistant Manager to Paul Tisdale at Exeter at the time and the young fella did pretty well for a rookie - got us out of the BSP at the 2nd attempt, kept us up 1st season in the FL and then got us to a PO Final in his 4th season. Of course he eventually moved on .... don't know what he's doing now tbh.... :whistle:

From memory, the Chester fans, where he (Curle) had his most recent managerial spell prior to us - had a very divided view on his ability.
Last edited by CP Gull on 13 Jan 2012, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Happy. Thats a bit hard on Joe. Poor Joe!!

Curley Wurley. Hard to know. Dont blame him for our relegation, but not sure if he is a manager. Ok as an assistant, I would think. Can't see your board going for him, as I thought they said they wanted an "experienced" replacement. If they went for Neil Warnock plus Keith, that might be different.

Keith had no chance with the idiot chairman that we had at the time. Cant bring myself to even mention his name.Grrrrr :@
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Well, it is better than trying to steal another team's manager. It seems the Rovers Chairman is still on the same tack, trying to steal Burton's manager but thankfully being rebutted.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

oasisgas wrote:Afternoon Gulls fans...

I just wanted to know on what your views are on Keith Curle when he was with you as manager/coach???

I know you guys were relegated under him but do you blame him for it or was it a no hoper even before he took it on???

There is talk that he has applied for the job that is vacant since Tango Man got the boot!!!

Regards

Oasis
Bonjour!
Had a look at your forum, & you all seem very keen for the board to sign a new manager double quick. I can't see what the rush is because even if you got Alex Ferguson he would not have be able to do much before your match against Crawley. I.M.O. any result less than 3-0 against would be OK, you never know you might even snatch a draw or get a lucky goal & win. Sean North has as much of a chance of a result as any other manager. :scarf: :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Just make sure that if he does get the job, you employ someone else to make sure he has remembered to turn off the lights on his Range Rover (no, you don't get it, but that's ok, you're not supposed to).

Lovely man, really friendly and reasonably intelligent. Warnock knows enough to avoid surrounding himself with idiots, so we must reasonably presume he is more than qualified to take over at the helm of a fourth division club.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

happytorq wrote:It's surely about time we make the relationship official; Bristol Rovers are we we send our outcasts.

We'll send Joe Barlow up in a taxi next week.

And They will probably send him back via parcelforce next week, 2nd class
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
gasrex
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by gasrex »

For me Keith Curle lost his way in football when he left Oldbury Court Junior School, and was no longer able to call on the undoubted talent & tactical advice of a good looking young keeper whose name modesty prevents me from mentioning :~D

The100% win ratio of KC, Rex and Paul Heon take on the rest at break time was no mean achievemnet I can tell you.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

gasrex wrote:For me Keith Curle lost his way in football when he left Oldbury Court Junior School, and was no longer able to call on the undoubted talent & tactical advice of a good looking young keeper whose name modesty prevents me from mentioning :~D

The100% win ratio of KC, Rex and Paul Heon take on the rest at break time was no mean achievemnet I can tell you.
It seems an age ago I sat in the stand at Eastville watching KC in a FA Youth cup match agains't Spurs watching this young kid run with the ball like the proverbial wind and he hadn't had a whiff of curry then. Boy was he fast, Shame they coached it out of him and he slowed a fair bit after. He showed so much promise as a young center forward.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843