I thought Branston had had it. (but I was wrong)

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Fair enough. I take your point. I shall be watching him with interest tonight at the Krappam Stadium.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

chippygull wrote:"From match thread: "Something has gone wrong with our defense, their equalising goal was astonishing, how no-one bothered to try and clear the ball remains a mystery, and I too would like to see if Scott could have done anything to stop it going in."
From my brief look at the highlights, the Pickler looked pretty static. Others seem to think he did OK in this game. Is his bad spell behind him?
Chippy, the ball was whipped in with a lot of pace. The first Morcambe player volleyed it past Scotty, Branners was about 5 feet behind the scorer. There was no way either he or Scotty could do anything about it TBH.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

I consider myself well and truly corrected. Here;s hoping he further proves me wrong tonight!! I need bragging rights!!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

After watching the Pickler's imperious performance last night at Oxford, I utterly retract all previous criticism. He did sky a few though!!
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

He did sky a few, but so did Nicholson and Wroe. But he was diving low for headers and making sure any 50/50 ball in the air was his. I do not recall on any occasion that he put Bevan under any threat.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

The guy is a defender. People criticising his distribution are missing the point.
We are in League 2. We can't have Beckenbauer playing for us, we have to make do with defenders who do everything they can to prevent us conceding. That's what Branston does.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by chippygull »

Agreed. I hang my head in shame. I have edited the thread title.
Helen Frisby
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston (pickler)

Post by Helen Frisby »

This guy WILL be a Torquay legend!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

happytorq wrote:The guy is a defender. People criticising his distribution are missing the point.
We are in League 2. We can't have Beckenbauer playing for us, we have to make do with defenders who do everything they can to prevent us conceding. That's what Branston does.

Spot on analysis. Also his disciplinary record this season is very good considering his career record.
His partnership with Mark Ellis is as good as any in the Division.

I hope I haven't put the mockers on Branston ahead of tonights match.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Trojan 67 wrote:
Spot on analysis. Also his disciplinary record this season is very good considering his career record.
His partnership with Mark Ellis is as good as any in the Division.

I hope I haven't put the mockers on Branston ahead of tonights match.

You didn't, he was awesome tonight ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

And as ever with a confident side everyone gets in on the act. There was no hoofing at all from Branno tonight. He had to clear a few balls under pressure both with head and feet but if the short option was there he took it, and he played one or two lovely knocks down the line to get Hemmings away in the first half.

Branston is just a fantastic defender at this level. Him and Ellis, there aren't many better partnerships around in League 2, if any.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

They are a fantastic duo, agreed.
What is also great is that Ellis publicly acknowledges how much influence Branston has had in his development as a player. He is worth more to us than just being a player.