Torquay.v.Dagenham Tue. 24/1/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

austrianandygull wrote:

Common sense and 100% correct (IMO) SDYellow.
I'm pretty sure if 'common sense' prevailed, we'd stick with the same side that was won 9 out of the last 12. He's doing something right, maybe we just can't see it.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Also, if as many have suggested, Tai is a confidence player who has started to show some form and we haven't lost the four games that Rene was suspended, what will it do to that confidence if he's left out after doing not much wrong?

I realise I'm not in a position to comment too much having only been to two matches this season and one pre-season friendly. :Oops:
Last edited by HRG on 24 Jan 2012, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
sonofwod
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by sonofwod »

I don't think it does any harm for Howe to have to fight to get his place back. He got himself sent off for a stupid tackle, he's missed 4 games and his replacement has done nothing wrong, with the team hitting some great form. There's no question he's the better footballer, but he's also the more rash of the two. Let him learn his lesson on the bench and let Atieno be rewarded for his part in recent success.
Grumpy
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Grumpy »

Hello Torquay i'm Grumpy :nod: but you can make me happy by winning tonight and on Saturday.

I think you are in with a good shout of improving your league position by 6 points this week and of course you will be doing us poorer relations a big favour.
So come on you Gulls
Come and pay us a visit on ATD.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

I think we should stick with Tai for tonight. Like a few of you have said, since Rene was suspended, we've gained 13 out of 15 points. I do think though that Tai needs to be told to up his game and try and find some more goals. 2 goals for a striker at this stage of the season isn't brilliant.

As for the game itself, on paper it looks like an easy game, but since when was football decided on paper.

Head thinks we'll batter them 4-0, heart says 2-1.

COME ON YOU YELLOWS!!!
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Whats the weather like in Torbay? - suppose to have been light rain up here but it has been sheeting it down since seven this morning.
Hope there is no chance of a cancellation as I don't fancy a wasted trip.
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

Its kinda on off spitting down here
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

brucie wrote:Whats the weather like in Torbay? - suppose to have been light rain up here but it has been sheeting it down since seven this morning.
Hope there is no chance of a cancellation as I don't fancy a wasted trip.
Very much doubt it'll be cancelled. In fact i'm 99.9% sure it'll be on.

Heading up tonight, really looking forward to it. :scarf:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Grumpy wrote:Hello Torquay i'm Grumpy :nod: but you can make me happy by winning tonight and on Saturday.

I think you are in with a good shout of improving your league position by 6 points this week and of course you will be doing us poorer relations a big favour.
So come on you Gulls
Come and pay us a visit on ATD.
Poorer? Not for long I think; your crowds are normally three times as big as ours - a pretty good revenue stream. Looks like there'll be a handful of Argyle fans coming to this match, which will double our normal mid-week attendance. Anyway, I don't think you'll be needing any favours from us. Your recent results indicate that you've turned the corner and are beginning to play your way out of trouble. Just avoid any more red cards, and you'll be fine. :-D

ATD? You've been banned from PASOTI? =D
Last edited by Gullscorer on 24 Jan 2012, 13:54, edited 2 times in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Just heard that Dagenham have asked any of their fans attending the match this evening to bring their boots in case they're needed to make up a full team.. =D
Grumpy
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Grumpy »

Gullscorer wrote:
No not banned I have never been a member I'm pleased to say. The thought police are not my thing :whistle:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

YellowMurphy wrote: I'm pretty sure if 'common sense' prevailed, we'd stick with the same side that was won 9 out of the last 12. He's doing something right, maybe we just can't see it.

I somehow knew that someone would take the opposite view to me regarding common sense when i posted and fair play. I'm not saying you are wrong. Common sense could be, like you say, sticking with the side that has won 9 out of the last 12 after all why change a winning team? Or IMO common sense is to play our best striker in Howe and drop Tai who has done really well for us but has only scored once whilst Ellis has scored twice. I hardly think swapping like for like in terms of position (Tai for Howe) is going to totally disrupt our way of playing and confidence, in fact the rest of the team may be even more confident that Howe is going to get goals to help relieve the pressure and play better. It's a no brainer. It's like saying that Alex McLeish would rather stick with Emile Heskey just because he is working hard than put in Gabby Agbonlahor as Premiershite example, one doesn't score but works hard and the other scores and works hard. Yes we are doing amazingly well at the moment without Atieno scoring many but we NEED more than this at some point i'm sure of it.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

sonofwod wrote:I don't think it does any harm for Howe to have to fight to get his place back. He got himself sent off for a stupid tackle, he's missed 4 games and his replacement has done nothing wrong, with the team hitting some great form. There's no question he's the better footballer, but he's also the more rash of the two. Let him learn his lesson on the bench and let Atieno be rewarded for his part in recent success.

This...........
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Well. Let's look for the start of 6 points tonight to cement our position in the playoff position. We may yet have a rough patch and tonight and Saturday is the start of an important 6 points to make sure if we do we won't be far off and be able to regain ground.
One of the last evening matches if not the last evening match I can come to so on the way down the M5 to stand on the Naughty step with Alan and co. No Farting Alan. and Matt wear something thats not orange for a change. I need shades when I see Orange now.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

I think 3-0 to us with Atieno to get 2, think he may get a bit more luck in front of goal tonight! i've just signed up to GullsPlayer so i can actually listen to home games now instead of relying on you lot lol not that you do a bad job ;-) COYY!!
Dreaming Of Promotion ..