Torquay.v.Dagenham Tue. 24/1/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

See both sides of the Atieno argument, and while I agree that from a man management point of view, Rene cannt be allowed simply to walk back into the side, from a purely footballing stance, Rene should start.
For all our good work, Tai has brought surprisingly little to the table in terms of his primary duty (sticking the ball on the onion bag). While he may have done some good ancillary work, we must ask the question as to whether we may have done somewhat better with the big dude in the team?

While Tai is an ample replacement who doesn't do any particular harm to our overall play (unlike, say, McPhee ;-) ), he probably doesn't do it a great deal of good either.

Have we considered the two together?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

sonofwod wrote:I don't think it does any harm for Howe to have to fight to get his place back. He got himself sent off for a stupid tackle, he's missed 4 games and his replacement has done nothing wrong, with the team hitting some great form. There's no question he's the better footballer, but he's also the more rash of the two. Let him learn his lesson on the bench and let Atieno be rewarded for his part in recent success.
First of all I'll caveat that what I am going to say is mainly from the basis of listening to games on the radio and highlights - the two games I've seen were the Sheff Utd game on a stream and Hereford at my only game of the season so far...

I've actually been surprised by the lack of rashness from Howe - he generally seems to play with a smile on his face and doesn't seem to get wound up easily. I'm not sure how much the sending off was a rush of blood or simply just a very badly timed tackle.

There is no doubt that of the two Howe is the better player - a composed finisher and for a big man very good with his feet (in fact he is probably weakest in the air). However, I wonder whether, especially away from home, Atieno actually adds slightly more to the overall team play. Howe, while quicker than he looks like he should be, does not have the genuine pace that Atieno does. Atieno is strong enough to look after himself as a lone striker and I think combined with the pace he has he forces opposition defences to play deeper and so actually allowing O'Kane, Morris and Stevens to push further on and have a little more room to play. I think Atieno also pressures defences/keepers slightly more.

One other thing that was noticeable about Howe in both the games I've seen - he comes both deep and wide to win the ball but once he has done his job he doesn't get into the box quick enough - he seems to like staying involved in the play (which he is good at) and not make his presence felt in the box.

Just my two pence worth anyway - a regular attendee may point out it is all rubbish!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I'd favour Howe too, but with Ling's style of management I'm expecting to see Atieno for the forseeable future, and with the position we're in it would be petty to challenge it.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

ferrarilover wrote:
Have we considered the two together?
Matt - I think we need the 4-5-1 formation to get the best out of Eunan and our two wide players. I just don't think Eunan is effective in a 2 man midfield, especially alongside Manse who will always want to get forward. The current formation allows Lathrope to screen, Manse to play box to box and Eunan to be free.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

maybe even 433, with howe tai and lil danny running about in crazy circles, drop morris and have manse damon and eunan in middle??

hoping for a big win, backed 4-0 and 3-0 but expect it'll be much tighter and will settle for a narrow 2-1 as usual!!
still keeping the faith
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'm a big fan of big Rene (no, really) but Atieno has to keep his place. Its basic man-management. Taiwo has done nothing wrong - regardless of whether we believe Rene would have done more "right", if you know what I mean. To drop Taiwo now, you might as well say to him "Don't bother training or playing well in the reserves, because unless Rene hurts himself you ain't playing son". Rene has to earn his place back, he lost it in the first place and we've been on great form since. You don't change a winning team, plus the team are probably getting used to having Taiwo up there and looking for his runs so the selection may have even more to give.

As for them playing together, well it worked o.k at Southampton and Rovers earlier in the season but less so elsewhere. And who would you drop? Morris? Stevens? Lathrope? Nobody in the current XI deserves to get the boot.

Anyway, we are all aware of the ex-player syndrome and how you always expect your rejects to score against you? Well Tai had a little spell at Dagenham - cue goal-fest!
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Howe starts
Gazzableedsgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by Gazzableedsgull »

JamieE wrote:Howe starts
Dodgy move if you ask me! I think Tai deserved another chance against a team that's been shipping goals.
Dreaming Of Promotion ..
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

JamieE wrote:Howe starts
Where did you find out that?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

its true, teams just in off player

Robert Olejnik

Joe Oastler
Chris Robertson
Mark Ellis
Kevin Nicholson

Damon Lathrope
Lee Mansell
Eunan O'Kane
Ian Morris

Danny Stevens
Rene Howe

subs
Brian Saah
Martin Rice
Lathanial Rowe-Turner
Chris McPhee
Taiwo Atieno
still keeping the faith
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Jeff wrote:I'm a big fan of big Rene (no, really) but Atieno has to keep his place. Its basic man-management. Taiwo has done nothing wrong - regardless of whether we believe Rene would have done more "right", if you know what I mean. To drop Taiwo now, you might as well say to him "Don't bother training or playing well in the reserves, because unless Rene hurts himself you ain't playing son". Rene has to earn his place back, he lost it in the first place and we've been on great form since. You don't change a winning team, plus the team are probably getting used to having Taiwo up there and looking for his runs so the selection may have even more to give.

As for them playing together, well it worked o.k at Southampton and Rovers earlier in the season but less so elsewhere. And who would you drop? Morris? Stevens? Lathrope? Nobody in the current XI deserves to get the boot.

Anyway, we are all aware of the ex-player syndrome and how you always expect your rejects to score against you? Well Tai had a little spell at Dagenham - cue goal-fest!
Tai has had a spell at most clubs! Should be scoring at least 20 a season! :lol:
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I am pleased Howe is starting. Very tough call for Ling but if you were a D&R defender, who would you rather be facing in ten minutes time? I fancy him to bag a couple today.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
JamieE
First Regular
First Regular

Post by JamieE »

Scott Brehaut wrote: Where did you find out that?
I have my sources. @InsidePlainmoor on twitter.

Good move I think, never believed in the never change a winning team thing, if you can improve the team by changing personnel or shape then it should be done.
eastyorksgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: BRANSTON

Post by eastyorksgull »

evening everybody,COME ON YOU YELLOWS
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Is Ross what his face drunk?