cheltenham town v torquay united - 14/2/2012

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

popside_yidlad wrote:This game is SO tight its going to come down to a mistake or bit of magic to split us. I cant help but think with the form Stevens is on he could be the person to do it. If we can win there and swindon beat crawley at we would go above them......how nice would that be, maybe bodin will do us a favour lol

Worked out just as we all hoped. Bodin apparently ripped them apart. His finish was fantastic too. Lets hope bodin can continue to score goals and pinch points from those around us.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Astonishing that we have won 1-0 without creating anything for the other 95 minutes of the game. Our game is built on our back four and keeper. Mark Ellis was superb, closely followed by Oastler who is a big improver this term and has looked quality in the games I have seen.
I actually though Mcphee was terrible and didn't know where he was playing. Gave the ball away repeatedly and didn't really close down anybody. Nasty kick in the mouth though. Stevens gave the ball away constantly in the second half and Eunan was not up to his normal standard.
For me Atieno again did really well and Morris was the best I have seen him. Two moments won us the game - the keepers save after Eunans cock up and Saahs blinding backward header from under the barl after a cross had looped up off Nicos back.
A word about the ref - a complete homer from start to finish. i swear he must have added on eight minutes at the end.
Are we really at the top of the league? - surely now we should go for a loan signing or two.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

The problem being if we signed a person or person(s) on loan all they would do is sit on the bench. Clubs are far more reluctant to let half decent or proven players out on loan unless they are guaranteed a start. Something we couldn't do.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Interesting views on their forum, the robins nest. Not impressed with us, mugged etc. Fair enough we weren't at our best and had to defend for our lives to get the points but all I'd say if any of them come onto here is this

Remember this fixture last season? When you deserved precisely ZERO and stole a point with the last kick after Torquay had totally outplayed your lot for 86minutes?

Evened itself out in the end didn't it.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: sloped off

Post by kingsgull »

Brucie thats sort of a positive post...i guess you dont get taken away by the moment however long it lasts....like Dave (forever) said in another post theres alot of manlove <3 going around (NOT in a gay way i add) towards a great team playing as a team with great confidence....c'mon Brucie...just for once...wet your pants with glee =D
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Noone was more pleased than me - exciting game. For me the win was deserved. Cheltenham were home, top of the league and despite their possession were well contained in the second half. To suggest they were mugged is nonsense.
At one stage in the second half I thought we were playing rugby though as we appeared to be kicking for touch.
Great team spirit and plenty of celebrations at the end from the players.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

I'm so glad I got to go last night. Can hardly believe we're doing so well. I don't want to get carried away with promotion but I do want to enjoy this feeling while it lasts. Thought McPhee did well after all the negativity surrounding him and was glad that he got a cheer going off. He did make the odd dodgy mistake but hopefully he went away last night feeling a bit more confident. But they all played their part and played it well.

For me the most important thing was seeing what it meant to every one of them, management and players, especially Manse. When you see such celebrations and displays of team spirit it's almost impossible not to get swept up in it.

I'm a very happy Gull.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by kingsgull »

HRG wrote:I'm so glad I got to go last night. Can hardly believe we're doing so well. I don't want to get carried away with promotion but I do want to enjoy this feeling while it lasts. Thought McPhee did well after all the negativity surrounding him and was glad that he got a cheer going off. He did make the odd dodgy mistake but hopefully he went away last night feeling a bit more confident. But they all played their part and played it well.

For me the most important thing was seeing what it meant to every one of them, management and players, especially Manse. When you see such celebrations and displays of team spirit it's almost impossible not to get swept up in it.

I'm a very happy Gull.
100% agree...alot of passion shown last night and we are all glad we went last night :~D :clap:
uberwozza
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: caldwell

Post by uberwozza »

Wasn't at the game so can't comment but looking at cheltenham websites today they were not that impressed by us. General view of 'we scored from one attack, parked the bus, took 3 points we didn't deserve and won't go up automatically'

Anyone who ever wants to understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder should look at two sets of fans verdicts on watching the same game :~D
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

It wasn't that many months ago (D&R away, Aldershot away etc) when I thought about easing of going to games, but after Plymouth away and last night, I am glad I stuck with it. They were awesome to watch last night, both teams had limited chances, but it did seem Torquay were more comfortable on the ball. Cheltenhamshire's passing was poor most of the time, with some very dodgy keeping. They did not look like a top of the table team at all last night.

I did wonder whether the referee and linesman were at the same game. There were fouls not given, and some dodgy decisions that were for both teams. I would still question why these officials (who get paid) are not bought into questioning when they have had a poor game. If they were players then they would be treated totally differently if they under performed etc. I appreciate being lower league we are not going to get the creme of the creme in refs, but these guys should be at least getting the basics right.

Anyway looking forward to Gillingham away as my next match (crap ground / stand) but hopefully we will see some more great football.
TUFCforever
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by TUFCforever »

A great result from a great team. We are playing with confidence and shows throughout the team I can't believe we are joint top and if anyone had suggested that at the start of the season I would have been calling for the van with the men with white coats. But you don't get to the top of the league by luck, a lot of hard work has gone in by everyone associated with the club and I can't wait for Saturday and hope that those that don't normally come on a Saturday decide to let the girlfriend/wife go shopping on their own and come and watch the form team in the Country. Can it get any better????????????? Yes 3 points Saturday see you all on Saturday.
kingsgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by kingsgull »

TUFCforever wrote:A great result from a great team. We are playing with confidence and shows throughout the team I can't believe we are joint top and if anyone had suggested that at the start of the season I would have been calling for the van with the men with white coats. But you don't get to the top of the league by luck, a lot of hard work has gone in by everyone associated with the club and I can't wait for Saturday and hope that those that don't normally come on a Saturday decide to let the girlfriend/wife go shopping on their own and come and watch the form team in the Country. Can it get any better????????????? Yes 3 points Saturday see you all on Saturday.
yes...bring the girlfriend/missus too !!
Bigman
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Bigman »

If the Cheltenham fans weren't impressed with us what did they think of their own team?!?! Their best chance came from a pass by our player, and the only other time they looked like scoring was a deflected cross, again off our player. The rest of the time all they did was punt it long, if there was a stat for goal kicks our tally would be through the roof! I admit we showed nothing in attack second half, but it wasn't exactly seat of the pants defending and I'd say we were much the better side first half. Just wished we'd shown a bit more composure and stuck to our passing game throughout, looked very effective on the few occassions we got it down and played.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

tufc si wrote: Think peeps have said on here that it was 441 or 451 or summin similar!! Absolutely brilliant turn out though and I know it ent exatly a million miles for most Gulls fans to travel but a midweek game in winter, it ent half a bad number!! :clap:
461; amazing away support for the Gulls as always.

To be fair to Crawley fans though, Swindon's admission prices for away supporters are obnoxiously OTT; shouldn't be allowed.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

What a great day yesterday and what a result. It was my first time at Cheltenham since 2004 and I, like many other fans would have taken a draw from this game. However, with Cheltenham in poor form as of late and with us winning ALL games in 2012, maybe I should have been more optimistic. I spoke to some Cheltenham fans in their supporters club, who were very friendly and said and I quote “You are the team to beat”. They are absolutely right and, I don’t know how, have won ALL 7 games in 2012. Who would have thought that at the beginning of the season......I’m going to say no-one.

As for the game well we played some very nice football. When we got the ball down and passed the ball we looked like the better side. “We only win 1-0” should be a new song for the Yellow Army as it was our 4th in a row, but if we keep it tight at the back (which is what we are doing) and take the chances that we are creating, we will stay at the top of the table fighting for promotion.

The goal was a sign of how good our central defenders are when going forward. The movement of Ellis was class. He moved ever so slightly towards the ball which leads two defenders to mark him. Then Saah was left alone to head the ball across to Morris who put it in the net. Our defence is on top form at the moment, defending very well and clearing away the danger as soon as possible. We are now a threat at set pieces as well. We kept it tight throughout the whole game and deserved the victory. The only thing I was disappointed in was that we weren’t going forward too much in the 2nd half. We were sitting back and defending, we defended well but I would have liked it if we went forward to try and get another goal (which I thought we could have got).

Bobby: He made some great saves to keep the score at 1-0 and made some brave challenges to retrieve the ball. I got into the ground 45 minutes before kick off to watch the players train and I have to say the goal keeping warm up is fantastic .Nonstop shots are aimed at Bobby; it really was great to watch. Bobby put in his usual 100% effort and played very well. Some of his kicks went a little wayward, but that can’t dampen his performance at all.

Oastler: Joe was brilliant on the right last night. He defended fantastically well and he did well going forward also. He was put under pressure a lot of the time, but dealt with it well at the back. I think he enjoyed his new song too.

Saah: He was my MOTM last night, he defended superbly. He headed and cleared the ball very well and set up the goal. But his highlight was a quite stunning header of the line. The ball was going in, it went over his head, but he managed to head it out and clear. A fantastic performance from Saah and he has replaced Robbo fantastically well straight away.

Ellis: Mark played very well at the back also. The whole defence was put under pressure in the 5 minutes of stoppage time and Ellis was very cool and cleared away any danger. He also headed very well; I think Saah and Ellis are a very good pair at the back.

Nicholson: Nico was very good on the left and was also put under pressure at the back like Oastler. However he also dealt with it superbly and cleared away danger brilliantly. He passed the ball linking up with Eunan, Morris and Mansell very well. His cross from the corner was a good one; it was high and went straight onto Saah’s head. His footballing brain is very important in our team.

Mansell: Manse put in his usual 100% effort, tackling and passing really well. He did very well at RB in the last 5 minutes, defending to try and keep the score at 1-0. However he is much better in the middle and he is a great skipper.

Lathrope/Mcphee/Howe: Damon started very well tackling and passing with class, but unfortunately he had to go off. A free kick was awarded to Cheltenham and Lathrope closed down the player who took the free kick. The ball was struck very hard and it bounced off Lathrope’s foot. He got up straight away but he could not continue. This was a great opportunity for Mcphee to get a chance in CM. There wasn’t much confidence in the fans (including me) when we saw Mcphee getting ready to come on. But I was very impressed by Mcphee’s performance. He tackled well and linked up with Oastler and other players well also. Sadly Mcphee had to go off, due to a nasty cut to the nose, when he defended at the back. He showed bravery when going into a collision with Bobby and a couple of Cheltenham players. Howe came on to replace him and was a great presence up front and helped keeping the ball in the corner.

O’Kane: Eunan showed us his class in the middle, beating players and passing well. He linked up with Mansell, Nicholson and other players with skill. He made a couple of mistakes, but luckily our defence was on top form to put an end to any incoming danger.

Morris: Ian is getting better and better each game. He is doing very well on the wing, linking up with players around him and finding himself in good positions to have a shot at goal. He was in a great position for the goal and scored that all important goal. He defended quite well towards the end of the game too.

Atieno: Tai played well at the front last night. I thought that he played better in the first half than the second half, but his overall performance was good. He got up well for headers and linked up with Eunan, Danny etc very well.

Stevens/Rowe-Turner: Danny played well on the wing and when he used his pace he went passed 2 or 3 players with ease. He was a very tricky player to defend and he linked up with players as well. Danny is also getting better and better each game and long may that continue. When Stevens came off LRT replaced him. Rowe-Turner did his part defending and made another great run up field to keep the ball in the corner. LRT is a great player to bring on with about 10 minutes to go to keep the play tight, neat and tidy. He gives you confidence when he comes on, because you know he is going to put in 100% effort to defend.

The Torquay fans were brilliant as usual. 461 made the journey and I’m convinced that if the game was on a Saturday that number would have doubled. The atmosphere was fantastic and it got better towards the end of the game. The drum was superb as usual and a lot of the fans came together to sing their hearts out! I have two videos from the game and I will upload them onto Youtube ASAP.

I love being a TUFC fan at the moment and I am overwhelmed by the way we are playing and the results we’re getting. Who would have thought that we’d get 6 points from the last couple of games? Again I’m going to say no-one. But every fan is loving the football and I hope it can last and I hope we can go on now and fight for an automatic spot.

Yellow Army! :scarf:
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.