The Bookies Odds Thread

General chat about anything else goes here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

not quite sure why this thread has been relegated from the TUFC section, i do believe that it is about us and our odds on winning the league or promotion??

anyway, after last nights heroics our odds for the title have been slashed to 22/1!! if you think that we should beat burton and swindon have a tough game at crewe this weekend, and then we go to theirs on tuesday, we could conceivably be within a couple points of them, albeit they will still have a game in hand. 22/1 seems very big to me given the run we're on?? i may have a small e/w bet??

we're now odds on for promotion at 5/6 with bet365, i have to pinch myself, the bookmakers are convinced that we're going up!! crawley are a smaller price than us, even tho we're ahead of them, if they win their games in hand or not tho?
still keeping the faith
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

bixieupnorth wrote:not quite sure why this thread has been relegated from the TUFC section, i do believe that it is about us and our odds on winning the league or promotion??
I would guess that it's because even though it started as a TUFC-orientated thread, it ended up being a place for anybody to talk about football bets on any team.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

bixieupnorth wrote: anyway, after last nights heroics our odds for the title have been slashed to 22/1!! if you think that we should beat burton and swindon have a tough game at crewe this weekend, and then we go to theirs on tuesday, we could conceivably be within a couple points of them, albeit they will still have a game in hand. 22/1 seems very big to me given the run we're on?? i may have a small e/w bet??
?
I'd be amazed if you can still get an each way bet. Probably win only. could possibly by 1/4 odds 1-2, but any better than that would be hugely surprising to me. could be wrong
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

bixieupnorth wrote:not quite sure why this thread has been relegated from the TUFC section, i do believe that it is about us and our odds on winning the league or promotion??
Hi Bix, it was moved because we don't want to be seen promoting gambling on the main board. We have a lot of Junior members so it's best that any discussions relating to betting are put on here. It's no big deal but we have had a few moans about it over the years.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bloody junior members strike again, pesky kids, mutter mutter, grumble!! if that ball comes into my garden again.......
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

happytorq wrote: I would guess that it's because even though it started as a TUFC-orientated thread, it ended up being a place for anybody to talk about football bets on any team.
yeah but my other betting tips thread is the place for me and andy to swap stories of success, and more often, woe! this is def meant to be torquay only, but the feds have decreed its corrupting our youth!!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

happytorq wrote: I'd be amazed if you can still get an each way bet. Probably win only. could possibly by 1/4 odds 1-2, but any better than that would be hugely surprising to me. could be wrong
you're quite correct yet again happytorq, win only available, i often type before i think things thru properly! i'll still have a quid tho, who knows?? i can see swindon dropping two points on saturday and us winning
still keeping the faith
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

[quote="bixieupnorth"
you're quite correct yet again happytorq, win only available, i often type before i think things thru properly! i'll still have a quid tho, who knows?? i can see swindon dropping two points on saturday and us winning[/quote]

That must make Swindon strong odds-on, right? 1/5, 1/6 maybe?

(trying to see if my bookmaking mojo still exists after 6 years in a country where I can't bet)

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

they're now 1/8 swindon to win the lague, despite us being only 4 points behind them now

we're 12/1 2nd favourites and now 8 /15 to get promoted!!
still keeping the faith
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

bixieupnorth wrote:they're now 1/8 swindon to win the lague, despite us being only 4 points behind them now

we're 12/1 2nd favourites and now 8 /15 to get promoted!!
Ah yes, I didn't take into account the fact that they'd have taken quite a lot on swindon already...they don't want any more money on them. Be interesting to see where we stand if we manager to beat them. 1 point behind makes things a bit squeaky for Swindon. probably drop to about 5s or 6s.

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

We are 4/1 in places to win at Swindon. I was on at Crawley AND at Cheltenham both at similar odds and can i make it third time lucky? Do the bookies know we are in second place with a recent away record that defies belief? Obviously not. COYY!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

why are we 19/4 to win tonight, bet365 price way larger than any other bookies, about 3/1 in general, its seems HUGE to me?? i'm all over it anyway, thats way too good a price to turn down!!
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I agree. We are 4/1 with Ladbrokes who were 7/2 yesterday so we're drifting in the market. Why? God only knows. It's first against second and we've been beaten down with the small club brush again it appears. If Man City were away at Man Utd would they be 4/1? If Reading were away at Southampton would they be 4/1? If Sheff Utd were away at Charlton would they be 4/1? If Wrexham were away at Fleetwood would they be 4/1? If Rangers were away at Celtic would they be 4/1? We are awat at Swindon and we are 4/1 everybody! The bookies gave me 9/2 for us to beat Cheltenham and the same to beat Crawley. More of the same please!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

austrianandygull wrote:I agree. We are 4/1 with Ladbrokes who were 7/2 yesterday so we're drifting in the market. Why? God only knows. It's first against second and we've been beaten down with the small club brush again it appears. If Man City were away at Man Utd would they be 4/1? If Reading were away at Southampton would they be 4/1? If Sheff Utd were away at Charlton would they be 4/1? If Wrexham were away at Fleetwood would they be 4/1? If Rangers were away at Celtic would they be 4/1? We are awat at Swindon and we are 4/1 everybody! The bookies gave me 9/2 for us to beat Cheltenham and the same to beat Crawley. More of the same please!
weight of money. for some reason people are betting on the mighty Swindon to beat little old Torquay and the market is reacting accordingly.

bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

price has come in a bit, had some at 19/4 bet365, but now 4/1, so some people must've stuck money on us? anyone on betfair that can see the amounts wagered either way?
still keeping the faith