2nd in the table, 18th in attendances

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

All good points...a couple of thoughts

Online Ticketing - this is easy. I could get one of my developers to knock it out in an afternoon. The only possible reason that this could cause an issue is if - for example - somebody went into the shop to buy 2000 tickets at the exact same time somebody tried to buy 2000 tickets online. there could conceivably be issues ensuring that people buying home tickets are actually home supporters, but this is where the membership scheme could work out great - you're a member, you pay even a small fee of £3 to be registered, that allows you to buy tickets even if you're not local (but are a TQ fan)

Transport to Ground - sorely lacking ; I'd like to see a shuttle run in a circular route from both train stations (torre and torquay) *and* from the seafront; especially for visiting fans who often make a weekend of it. I understand there could be security issues, but that said, making sure we know where the 500 away fans are going could be quite helpful. I'm sure this wouldn't be cheap though - and I think we'd need to make it as close to free as possible to make it worthwhile. Would be nice if we could get some council assistance, but we all know that's about as likely as my oft-dreamt of threesome with Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. [edit - maybe seafront pubs might want to contribute a bit; these fans are going to spend money!]

Home support - due to the demographics of the town; people living there and then buggering off to college (or a foreign country, heh) or people moving in from outside, our away support is always going to make the home support look poor. You're not going to miraculously find 1000 extra people to show up - unless you make it free, then you lose the money for that one game and they don't show up the following week. It's a long hard grind to improve home attendances. Results and good performances help, but so does media coverage and a positive outlook. With Bateson saying "well, we can't afford to go up" you can't really blame people for staying away; so it's encumbent upon the staff - from Chairman right down throw the playing squad to the tealady - to be optimistic and set some high but realistic goals for the club. I also think the Herald going weekly will hurt us - lack of even local coverage is disappointing. I don't know what kind of relationship we have with Devonair (or is it Gemini) and Palm FM but maybe sending Mansell along now and again to get interviewed would help. Also, pushing our story in the national media would help; who wants to hear abou moneybags Crawley or moneybags Swindon or moneybags Northampton ( :lol: )? Shine a light on what we're doing and maybe we'll get a few interested people.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

NickGull wrote: All combined, our average over those years is 2916. I'd expect this seasons to end up around 3000/3100, as with any potential deciding games (Crewe, Southends a big one etc, and Accrington on Good Friday) I'll expect 3000+ from every game now really. Didn't realise we lost nearly 1000 average fans during our time in the BSP though..
yeah that is surprising; you 'd expect it to go down a bit cos of fewer away fans but you'd think being the 'big' team for a change, and ostensibly challenging for promotion, would have kept people. Mind you, I do remember us not exactly being Brazil back then..
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

happytorq wrote: from Chairman right down throw the playing squad to the tealady - .

I'm not so sure she would enjoy that at her age................ ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote:
I'm not so sure she would enjoy that at her age................ ;-)
oh, haha! the biter, bit, as it were. I'm not going to edit my post because it's funny. But you know what I mean.

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Lol, I know how you love a pedant :)

I saw one in another post but thought this one was funnier ;-)
Dave

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote:Lol, I know how you love a pedant :)

I saw one in another post but thought this one was funnier ;-)
absolutely - given my propensity to criticise and correct other people's mistake, it would be churlish of me to hide from this one. Plus, as you say, it's quite funny

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

WestLondonYellow wrote: Not sure i agree with this, if you are a football fan then you would try to go to games. I live in West London, and when I can i go to watch Fulham. If i lived in Spain or Portugal, as i hope to do one day, I would go and watch the local team and probably develop an affinity for them.
Well, you don't hear many scouse accents on the Pop side like you do everywhere else in the town. I don't think football fans automatically go and watch the local team of an area they are not born and bred in. Some do but I suspect the majority of people who have moved into Torquay care little about the club.

When I lived in Putney and Fulham I used to watch Fulham as you do but to be honest, it was never the same. I could take it or leave it and if Fulham lost (as they frequently did in those days), I never went home especially upset.

We are limited by our population and furthermore within that population is a further limit because the vast amount of people who are not local and have no affinity with TUFC.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

A model to follow is Exeter Chiefs. A club that a few years ago got crowds of a few hundred and now get between 7000 - 9000 most weeks. They whole operation is very slick with online ticketing, a tremendous matchday experience. There is a lot TUFC could learn from them.
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

To be honest I'd much rather we were a small, well run club that retains a respectable league position and builds slowly than end up like Plymouth.

I'd love to see shuttle buses from the surrounding area on matchday. Newton Abbot, Paignton, Brixham, Teignmouth, Dawlish, even Ashburton and onto the moor should all have one, plus one from the Town Centre. Pay £15 and you get a lift there and back and a ticket. Also, signposting to the ground from the Penn Inn would help. New bypass will be a big help with this, Newton will be 10 mins from the ground rather than a 35 minute crawl.

Kids for a quid long term. Need to get the kids to realise that they can see real, professional football on a fortnightly basis right on their doorsteps. Get the first team training at the local schools, going in to assemblies and selling tickets for a pound to our next home game. Honestly, what have we got to lose? Once they come once they will come again, especially the way we are playing at the moment. Unfortunately it takes kids a while to realise how much better supporting a league 2 club is than a Premier League one, I'm 21 now and its only in the past 4/5 years that I've realised Man Utd are a bunch of overpaid wankers and that nothing beats going to see your local club.

Lastly, there needs to be posters in every local business in the Bay giving details of our games, and the ability to buy tickets at these shops. Go into the town on a match day and you'd have no idea we had a professional football club playing 10 minutes away.

I
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

happytorq wrote:All good points...a couple of thoughts

Online Ticketing - this is easy. I could get one of my developers to knock it out in an afternoon. The only possible reason that this could cause an issue is if - for example - somebody went into the shop to buy 2000 tickets at the exact same time somebody tried to buy 2000 tickets online. there could conceivably be issues ensuring that people buying home tickets are actually home supporters, but this is where the membership scheme could work out great - you're a member, you pay even a small fee of £3 to be registered, that allows you to buy tickets even if you're not local (but are a TQ fan)

Transport to Ground - sorely lacking ; I'd like to see a shuttle run in a circular route from both train stations (torre and torquay) *and* from the seafront; especially for visiting fans who often make a weekend of it. I understand there could be security issues, but that said, making sure we know where the 500 away fans are going could be quite helpful. I'm sure this wouldn't be cheap though - and I think we'd need to make it as close to free as possible to make it worthwhile. Would be nice if we could get some council assistance, but we all know that's about as likely as my oft-dreamt of threesome with Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis. [edit - maybe seafront pubs might want to contribute a bit; these fans are going to spend money!]

Home support - due to the demographics of the town; people living there and then buggering off to college (or a foreign country, heh) or people moving in from outside, our away support is always going to make the home support look poor. You're not going to miraculously find 1000 extra people to show up - unless you make it free, then you lose the money for that one game and they don't show up the following week. It's a long hard grind to improve home attendances. Results and good performances help, but so does media coverage and a positive outlook. With Bateson saying "well, we can't afford to go up" you can't really blame people for staying away; so it's encumbent upon the staff - from Chairman right down throw the playing squad to the tealady - to be optimistic and set some high but realistic goals for the club. I also think the Herald going weekly will hurt us - lack of even local coverage is disappointing. I don't know what kind of relationship we have with Devonair (or is it Gemini) and Palm FM but maybe sending Mansell along now and again to get interviewed would help. Also, pushing our story in the national media would help; who wants to hear abou moneybags Crawley or moneybags Swindon or moneybags Northampton ( :lol: )? Shine a light on what we're doing and maybe we'll get a few interested people.

What follows has nothing in common with the quoted post and everything in common with the animated avatar.

Smell it ?

You can't ?

Can you see it then ?

Watch what happens to the shorts during the black and white section.

Smell it now ?

:Z :rofl:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I think you need to stop looking at other peoples shorts mate.............

:rofl:
Dave

Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Southampton Gull wrote:I think you need to stop looking at other peoples shorts mate.............

:rofl:

:@ :rofl:
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
A Candy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by A Candy »

The Focus Group that I run for the Club has been discussing amongst other issues, on line ticketing and bus/ coach service for fans. I have all the details of the on line ticketing system introduced by Cheltenham and it is very good but quite expensive . If we could find a sponsor it is something that we would like to introduce for next season. Similarly with the bus service for fans, one of the Group is in discussions with a local coach company about the possibility of running a coach from Newton Abbot on a pilot basis to see if it can be made to work on a commercial basis. Hopefully both initiatives will be implemented and as always, any one interested in sponsorship would be very welcome to make contact with me.
Regards,
Andrew
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Excellent debate.

IMO reason why we are 18th in the list is due to the Grandstand and if it were not currently being built or already built we'd be over the 3k mark simply due to the large followings for a couple of games we've turned away , the limited seating for locals and the absolute pain in the backside it is to get tickets for exiles and probably locals. Having said that, we'd still only probably nudge a couple of places up.

I must admit I havn't bothered with Plymouth, Rovers etc etc as I've not been able to ensure sitting with my lad and neither have I had the desire to go in advance (300 mile round trip) to get seating tickets. Instead when I've visited I've taken in the lower profile games. Online ticketing is a must, put a charge on it per transaction to pay for it and if people dont want to pay it they can always visit in person. At least it gives them the option.

Historically, we're alwasy going to be up against it in terms of support simply due to population but these things take time and success. I think we have the right group leading the way and some interesting times ahead, new grandstand and L1.
TUST #324
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

A Candy wrote:The Focus Group that I run for the Club has been discussing amongst other issues, on line ticketing and bus/ coach service for fans. I have all the details of the on line ticketing system introduced by Cheltenham and it is very good but quite expensive . If we could find a sponsor it is something that we would like to introduce for next season. Similarly with the bus service for fans, one of the Group is in discussions with a local coach company about the possibility of running a coach from Newton Abbot on a pilot basis to see if it can be made to work on a commercial basis. Hopefully both initiatives will be implemented and as always, any one interested in sponsorship would be very welcome to make contact with me.
Regards,
Andrew
Good to see that the club are actively trying to work some of these things. If both of these things were implemented in time for the new season then I'd anticipate the gates being a bit higher. Also with the bus system, perhaps the club will make more money in B&L as there'll be less drivers... ;-)