What Are You Listening To?

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

cambgull wrote: Don't know WWPJ or Wir Sind Helden but how can you go from all that Post-Rock to Rammstein?! Polar opposites!

Usually into my metal/rock but recently I've been listening to bands like Death Cab For Cutie and The Postal Service.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; : Death Cab - I Will Follow You Into The Dark
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; : The Postal Service - Such Great Heights

Hey cambgull, i love The Postal Service. Got their first album and it is immense. Thought i was the only one who had ever heard of them. The second album i just couldn't get along with. I like post rock but also death metal and other stuff too. I love Coheed & Cambria, System Of A Down, Tool, Audioslave too. If you like TPS you may want to listen out for an Icelandic band called MUM. They are a bit modern experimental / electronica. I've got a remix of The District Sleeps Alone Tonight which i got free with a mag and its a million miles better than the album track. Good to see someone out there knows good music and that i'm not alone OR weird! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

This is Andy's tune

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

DJ Smash - From Russia, With Love

I was watching Soccer Saturday in a sports bar over here, and this song was playing as Danny netted our first. The video is quite tame for Russia.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Haha! Quality WG! I've actually got this on CD single ( but i never told you that ok! :Oops: ). It's a great tune though anyway.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Whilst playing the intro to 'In a Sentimental Mood' by Duke Ellington ( Remember this one GG?) it struck me that Julia Fordham had recreated it with Cocooned in the 80's. Pretty close
So here it is " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOGOF deal here you need to get through Invisible War first to get to Cocooned - still a fine tune and a fine british singer :engflag:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

One for St Patricks...Moving Hearts
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

austrianandygull wrote:
Hey cambgull, i love The Postal Service. Got their first album and it is immense. Thought i was the only one who had ever heard of them. The second album i just couldn't get along with. I like post rock but also death metal and other stuff too. I love Coheed & Cambria, System Of A Down, Tool, Audioslave too. If you like TPS you may want to listen out for an Icelandic band called MUM. They are a bit modern experimental / electronica. I've got a remix of The District Sleeps Alone Tonight which i got free with a mag and its a million miles better than the album track. Good to see someone out there knows good music and that i'm not alone OR weird! :lol:
This man has a good taste in music! Going on from the Rock/Metal side of things, that's a great choice of bands, especially Tool who are in a fight with Pink Floyd for my favourite band. Good to see they are finally getting back into the studio though, hopefully an album on its way later this year. Nearly 7 years is too damn long!

Have you listened to A Perfect Circle? If you like Tool, you'll like them, Maynard sings for them.

Recently been going through a Melodeath phase, In Flames, Soilwork and Scar Symmetry are well worth a listen, especially the latter.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yeah, i've got both PERFECT CIRCLE CD's cambgull, they are ok but not as good as AENEMA or UNDERTOW. I've not really been listening to much new music just some Martin Grech and a lot of Neds Atomic Dustbin! They are just superb!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

Ahh, you're an early Tool fan! I'm a Lateralus fan myself, although I love all their albums. A Perfect Circle are off on a tangent from Tool but Mer De Noms is one of my favourite albums.

Don't know of Martin Grech and vaguely heard of Ned's Atomic Dustbin, any recommendations of what to listen to of them both?
Luke.

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

The first album from Martin Grech is called OPEN HEART ZOO and it is a corker, surreal, haunting vocals with heavy percussion at times but ebbs and flows. The rest of his albums are pretty shite though. Neds Atomic Dustbin are immense and old school but catchy and loud. Get their first CD called GOD FODDER although it is nearly 20 years old it is still raw and i love it. I just realised that A Perfect Circle did a third album which i've also got but it's pretty bad, it has a cover version of IMAGINE by John Lennon that is the highlight but apart from a couple of other tracks it's piss poor and disappointing of Maynard. Have you got 10,000 days by Tool? It is their newest album but has been out a couple of years now. Half of it is bloody weird and half are serious tunes. I recommend it for the serious tunes on there. Also for a bit of post - rock try GODSPEED YOU BLACK EMPEROR and EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY. Nothing better.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by cambgull »

I'll have a listen to Martin Grech and NAD, sounds pretty good.

APC had Mer De Noms, Thirteenth Step and eMOTIVe (and then aMOTION, but we definitely won't count that one). Mer De Noms was quite raw and Thirteenth Step then had a more rounded feel to it. eMOTIVe was quite embarrasingly, an anti-war album of covers. Imagine was a very good cover (I actually think I prefer it to the original) and Passive was a pretty good song too. Other than that, it was pretty poor.

10,000 Days is a fantastic album and actually, was the one that got me into Tool. I'd say it's a close 3rd behind Lateralus and Aenema. The quality of songs is good and has less filler but generally, not quite as amazing as the other two. Rosetta Stoned is definitely a highlight for me, especially for the "Overwhelmed as one would be..." section after the solo. I can't believe that was 6 years ago already, their record label must be the most frustrated people in the world, knowing how much they could make, but don't because the band are rubbish at releasing albums!
Luke.

SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Ludovico Einaudi, Nuvole Bianche.

Simply beautiful.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Are they lyrics from Nessun Dorma? 8/ ;-)
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

KORN III - not heard it before as their last few albums were worse than Jedward but this is serious dark metal ladies and gentlemen. A real return to the heavy, grinding sounds of earlier Korn stuff. Also looking forward to the new iLIKEtrains CD THE SHALLOWS.