Torquay United v Crewe Alexandra - 28/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

A highly entertaining game. Crewe were excellent but our team spirit was just brilliant. True desire. I had a very good view of the disallowed goal in the 95th minute.
It was a huge scramble involving at least 10 players and in the circumstances I think the ref was very harsh not to give the goal.
It really was 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.
I was so disappointed we did not hang on as 4 minutes of added time seemed excessive, I do not remember either trainer being on in the 2nd half.
Powell looked very much a Premier League player in a couple of years . Real class.
Wonderful save from Bobby. We have the ability to beat Hereford will we get the luck?
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Popside Joe wrote: It's still in our hands, we just need to win 12-0
Love it! That's the spirit that made Britain great!

Accepted wisdom seems to be that with our recent showings, we'd have no hope in the play-offs. Did we play well enough today to show that we could come through them if we had to?
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
traveller gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: olejnic

Post by traveller gull »

gutted pure gutted powell excellent for them as was moore great advert for league 2 footy
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Yes we did, I saw enough today to give confidence that our team is more than capable of getting a win at Hereford, and getting through the play-off's.

Almost everyone was creaming themselves over playing Crewe, oh their the in-form side, oh we are tired, yet we matched Crewe every step of the way today.

That should fill us full of confidence, make no mistake about it, Crewe were well organized, played some good football, and you could see they were full of confidence and why they have been getting results of late, and we matched them thats the point.

The lads at the back were first class, with oastler and Saah the pick of the bunch, thought it was amistake to take Howe off, Atieno came on and did just nothing, they started to build up a real head of steam, as Howe was holding the ball up and chasing down everything,and with out him Crewe played out from the back with ease.
Formerly known as forevertufc
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Whilst very disapointed with Crewe's late equalizer I am encouraged by the reports of our battling performance. Yes we can win next week but it might not be enough. Southend are now in the mix too although I'm not sure of the goal difference as I haven't checked. Macclesfield perished today so we should be grateful that its not us down there. The play offs are more likely for us so lets be a bit upbeat as Wembley could still beckon for the Gulls. Keep the faith!!! :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Oblivion!!!!
jocktheknife
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Nicho

Post by jocktheknife »

At no stage was Phillips' hands anywhere close to the ball in that melee at the end. I too had a perfect view of it.

The ref bottled that one big time but these days they don't seem to like to let goalmouth scrambles go - Manse was visibly furious at the decision to chalk it off.

Fabulous game - very entertaining etc etc. 2 good sides, we just seem to have forgotten how to win just at the wrong time.

Once we went ahead....Crewe had to come onto us - the space it left for us to break was perfect for our game.

We should have killed them off with a second......auto promotion was there in our grasp and we let it it slip by not being ruthless enough.

Crawley have had a terrible result....bet they can't believe they're luck that it is still in their hands - they surely won't give us another lifeline, if they do can we take it?

The loss at Wimbledon (spanked at lowly Barnet 4 nil) and now this - 30 secs from victory.

Typical TUFC!
....aka jmgull.
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

An excellent game between two decent sides. I thought we played some really good football and everyone put in a good shift, including the much maligned (by me) hobbit who had the temerity to score a good goal.

I thought the three standouts were Rene who was immense up front, Ellis equally so at the back and Bobby who looked the best lower league keeper bar none.

To be fair it was probably the right result cruel as that may seem, and doubly cruel in the manner it was delivered.

I didn’t think it was a penalty. I thought the ball was taken before the man but I was a long way away and the FLS will no doubt prove me wrong. And where did 4 mins extra time come from? Unless it was their goalie’s time wasting.

And so to Hereford. I seem to recall travelling to Southend 2004 more in hope than expectation. I see no reason why history should not repeat itself.

And we know that Creepy are morally bankrupt and after today that they are jittery.

Be there or be square.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Got back to Chesterfield about an hour and a half ago and i'm well and truly knackered. Putting my feet up with a lemsip and nearly missed ko as i fell to sleep whilst parked up near Cary Park! First of all can i just apologise to Dave (forever tufc) for once again not being able to meet you and the others. I am going through a prolonged medical crisis at the minute and seem to have bad bouts of flu symptoms on and off for about a month and a half now. I felt ok driving down and then really felt like shit once in Torquay and had a kip in the car. Felt really rough and just really wanted to get the game out the way and get home. It's been a long day. Anyway, once again sorry and next season (illness permitting) i'll hopefully start getting to meet a few more of you. I felt like Alan Partridge did when he was making the Dante Fires presentation! Also, cheers to whoever nominated me for a half time birthday mention. I did hear it and Scottish Gull too so that was a nice touch, thanks.

Anyway onto the game. We played really, really well today and made Crewe look very ordinary. The reason why we didn't end up with the three points is due to a shockingly high number of missed opportunities in front of goal. Rene for all his hard work failed big time in this department and if we had got the second goal then we would have won the game. I'm afraid i must apportion the blame for this second failure to take a gift from Crawley squarely at the feet of Rene and other wasted chances by Eunan et al. The performance was superb, we just lacked the ability to finish them off, a problem i witnessed when i was down for the Vale game last month. We won 2-1 then but when they went down to 10 men we wasted a hatful of chances to score and cocked things up on many attacking forays forward. In the end Vale could have snatched a point late on when they hit the bar. Crewe did hit the bar late on but this time they scored at the death and with it our chances of automatic hang by a thread once again.

Tai infuriated me as as soon as he came on he just stood around and let the Crewe players run past/away from him. He'd only been on the pitch a minute and couldn't be arsed!!!!!! Thats why you don't start Tai. He did this on a few occasions. Lathrope gave the ball away a lot in midfield and Stevens first half was getting stick from those around me for not offering an option down the wing. I actually think he prefers playing at the Grandstand side of the pitch away from the comments. Morris today i though was superb as was Saah. Oh and it was deffo a penalty as i was pretty much in line with it too. Poor challenge but hero save from Bobby.

Finally just some observations from some of the fans around me. One kept on going on about Damon saying he's useless and don't know why Martin plays him - err because he is one of our best players you tit and does a shift every week. He is one of the reasons behind our success you total knob. Ok he wasn't the best today but that happens. Stevens also got the usual hammering, most of it justified as first half he simply refused to run on ahead of Nico choosing to hug the touchline every time. This was poor play from Stevens but he improved second half and i didn't comment. One bloke even called him shit after celebrating his goal minutes earlier and calling him brilliant!! What a sack! Also another bloke kept on going on about how shit we were playing and calling all the Crewe players faggots over and over again when they went down injured. Brainless or what?! I do realise that most of our fans don't use this forum and most of us on here are generally quite sensible and knowledgable but it makes me realise that we do have some pretty retarded fans who are really quite simple.

Proud of the lads today and you could see how deflated they were when they equalised and i'm not sure they will be able to recover from that hammer blow at Edgar Street. I felt sorry for them.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Didn't go today but having listened to the last 15 minutes of the game on the car radio I am absolutely gutted with that 94th equaliser. I could scarcely believe they scored when it appeared there were seconds left on the clock.
Yet to see our disallowed goal but reports seem to suggest that the keeper did not have either hand on the ball. If thats the case we have been done again by yet another crap decision.
Its impossible to forecast what will happen next week. It just needs a rash moment, a red card, a bad ref's decison to change everything.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

We are still in with a shout. Lets hope that Accers, who gave the majority of their normal starting XI a rest today, will come back refreshed and give Creepy a game that they will not want to remember.

Meanwhile at Hereford next Saturday . . . . . . . .
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I forgot to say in my previous post, I was so annoyed with Tai when he came on. He had so much energy and hardly ever moved, put no effort in whatsoever closing down and chasing balls. Very, very disappointing!

Three fans made similar comments, so I thought a probable explanation is called for. Tai has suffered with a very painful back the past two weeks. Fans at Wimbledon can't have failed to see the extensive physio session Damian was giving him on the pitch during warm-up time. Some may even have noticed the enormous white pill he was given at the end of the therapy. What they won't have seen was Tai after the game looking and feeling totally spaced out!

Tai wants to get Torquay promoted as much as any other player or fan. He woudn't deliberately jeopardise his club's chances, so please accept that, frustrating as his apparent lack of effort is to us all, he was either suffering extreme pain or, I suspect, was a spaced out on painkillers.
Aussie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Aussie »

Where exactly did that Ref get 4 minutes of added on time?
popside_yidlad
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by popside_yidlad »

kittiwake wrote:
Three fans made similar comments, so I thought a probable explanation is called for. Tai has suffered with a very painful back the past two weeks. Fans at Wimbledon can't have failed to see the extensive physio session Damian was giving him on the pitch during warm-up time. Some may even have noticed the enormous white pill he was given at the end of the therapy. What they won't have seen was Tai after the game looking and feeling totally spaced out!

Tai wants to get Torquay promoted as much as any other player or fan. He woudn't deliberately jeopardise his club's chances, so please accept that, frustrating as his apparent lack of effort is to us all, he was either suffering extreme pain or, I suspect, was a spaced out on painkillers.
Well then with the greatest respect to Tai he should have put the team first and declared himself not fit. He is not doing the team any favours by playing if he cant give everything. The bench role could then have been taken by mcphee or craig. You can be sure mcphee would have busted a gut and we know he can hold the ball up well
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

First of all the reason you gave for Tai hardly moving kittiwake is a justified one however if it were me and i was in such extreme pain or felt so spaced out then i would have admitted to the manager that i just was not well enough to play any part in the game. It didn't look good and whoever made the decision to let Tai take the field of play in such a vital game knowing that we needed all hands to the pumps made a massive error of judgement.

Secondly, i'm not just saying it but the officials, especially the ref were an absolute jest. The lino in the first half put his flag up for offside on numerous occasions when the ball reached the striker. MESSAGE TO LINO - It is offside when a player is in an offside position WHEN the ball is played and not when the ball reaches it's intended target. This happens a lot with officials. The ref was a tit and i honestly believe that the time added on was intended to be a punishment for Rene when he was subbed as he appeared to take the piss taking a long time to walk and laughing and joking. Tho officials don't like anyone upsetting them.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

Fair points Yidlad and Austrian Andy but not sure who makes the decisions as regards match fitness. Will see if I can clear this up and report back.