Form going into Play-offs

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Matt I agree with you for once lol. I had and a argument about this on matchday who said that we should be beating Hereford. Hereford are a form team in the like, like Wigan! To say we should be beating Hereford is rollocks. If it was that easy to predict we would not waste our in the sport. People sometimes baffle me with clueless points. I am sure Torquay was a easy team to beat back when we was getting done every game but then we went on a run.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

usagullmichigan wrote:Matt I agree with you for once lol. I had and a argument about this on matchday who said that we should be beating Hereford. Hereford are a form team in the like, like Wigan! To say we should be beating Hereford is rollocks. If it was that easy to predict we would not waste our in the sport. People sometimes baffle me with clueless points. I am sure Torquay was a easy team to beat back when we was getting done every game but then we went on a run.
Must make a welcome change from being wrong then. :~D

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

usagullmichigan wrote:Matt I agree with you for once lol. I had and a argument about this on matchday who said that we should be beating Hereford. Hereford are a form team in the like, like Wigan! To say we should be beating Hereford is rollocks. If it was that easy to predict we would not waste our in the sport. People sometimes baffle me with clueless points. I am sure Torquay was a easy team to beat back when we was getting done every game but then we went on a run.
You live, quite voluntarily, among many Americans, your opinion is completely worthless. :~D

Matt.

Sorry, had two jokes and couldn't decide between them, so, rather than make Sophie's Choice, I went with both.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

brucie wrote:Coley actually makes some good points and typically by the morons on here has been called an idiot for it. We have done well to get where we are this season but as he said three points out of the last fifteen is terrible given the good position we were in.
"Bottle" isn't scoring two goals when you are three down - its not being three down in the first place. hereford have been relegated for a reson ie they are clueless. We definately lost our bottle on Saturday - lets hope we find it by next weekend.
So, all of us who pulled Coley up are "morons" are we? Just look in the mirror Brucie, many of your "moronic" comments are laughable. You hide when the team are doing well and come out four guns blazing when they slip up, real spirit that. I repeat below exactly what Coley said, just in case there is any misunderstanding:
What was it Lee Mansell said before the Wimbledon game (something about having the boll*cks), sorry Lee but you have been well and truly CASTRATED. The last 5 games have been a matter of 'bottle', and on performances Gulls have proved that they have none...(3 out of 15 points) Sorry.
So you think that comment is acceptable to a player (and a team) that HAVE achieved a lot this season? I don't and, on the basis of what others have said, nor do they! Did you go to Hereford Brucie, did you see the spirited fightback? I reckon if team won all their games you'd still moan.

I agree with everything Matt said back to you. He was spot on.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Cannot use 'nerves' or 'fatigue' as excuses for the Gulls' poor results in the last five games. These affect all clubs (except perhaps those with larger squads) at this time of year. Cheltenham is a similar size club to Torquay and their recent form has been twice as good.

However, it can be said that we had some difficult games against tough opposition: Oxford, Southend, Crewe, even Hereford who had just beaten Crawley away and were fighting for their own survival. And every team, as has been said, goes through spells of poor results.

But that's all history now. We are in the play-offs, and into cup-tie situations, when the form book can go out of the window, and everything can depend upon which team turns up on the day, which team wants it most, and whether the referee's decisions go the right way.

So the best of luck to the lads. Even if we lose in the play-offs it will have been a fantastic season, which last summer we could never have envisaged. It will still be a great springboard for another great campaign next season.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Had a feeling that we had a pretty poor run-in last season, and sure enough (having just checked) we backed our way into the playoffs with a return of 4 points out of last 15. But that didn't do us much harm against Shrewsbury
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Gullscorer wrote:Cannot use 'nerves' or 'fatigue' as excuses for the Gulls' poor results in the last five games. These affect all clubs (except perhaps those with larger squads) at this time of year. Cheltenham is a similar size club to Torquay and their recent form has been twice as good.

However, it can be said that we had some difficult games against tough opposition: Oxford, Southend, Crewe, even Hereford who had just beaten Crawley away and were fighting for their own survival. And every team, as has been said, goes through spells of poor results.

But that's all history now. We are in the play-offs, and into cup-tie situations, when the form book can go out of the window, and everything can depend upon which team turns up on the day, which team wants it most, and whether the referee's decisions go the right way.

So the best of luck to the lads. Even if we lose in the play-offs it will have been a fantastic season, which last summer we could never have envisaged. It will still be a great springboard for another great campaign next season.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
WRONG!
ferrarilover, correctly, in the Hereford match thread observed wrote:Cheltenham have made 13 points against teams with a rating of 69 and we have made 15 from teams with a rating of 64.
Our form, therefore, across the last 10 games, is, as near as makes no difference, identical.

Matt.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

ferrarilover wrote:You live, quite voluntarily, among many Americans, your opinion is completely worthless. :~D

Matt.

Sorry, had two jokes and couldn't decide between them, so, rather than make Sophie's Choice, I went with both.
I'd have gone with neither :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

gullintwoplaces wrote: So, all of us who pulled Coley up are "morons" are we? Just look in the mirror Brucie, many of your "moronic" comments are laughable. You hide when the team are doing well and come out four guns blazing when they slip up, real spirit that. I repeat below exactly what Coley said, just in case there is any misunderstanding:
So you think that comment is acceptable to a player (and a team) that HAVE achieved a lot this season? I don't and, on the basis of what others have said, nor do they! Did you go to Hereford Brucie, did you see the spirited fightback? I reckon if team won all their games you'd still moan.

I agree with everything Matt said back to you. He was spot on.

I've only just read what Coley said and i find it truly abhorrent. Mansell has been magnificent ALL season err did he not win the player of the year? Jesus. OK , Manse has been not at his best the last few games and even when he gave the pen away on saturday i accepted it as a bad mis-timed challenge, one he didn't need to make but he can be forgiven that for his effort this season. I think in most games i have seen this season EVERYONE bar Stevens, Atieno and Howe on occasions has given me as a fan everything i ask for. Those three mentioned have been excellent in part but are not consistent enough and when they drift out of games it is really obvious and gives us a real problem. I'm not gonna slag them off at games and shout abuse, some fans around me were having a real go at Ellis on saturday and for what? Ok he wasn't the best but did ok and this season he has been immense so i just hope the lad din't hear it as it was embarassing and no need for it. Apart from the Bradford away game where the players deserved every criticism that came their way, all the other games i've been to i've been fairly happy. To slag Manse off like Coley has done is quite unbelievable. We didn't lose our bottle, we just got found out and maybe we aren't as good as we think we are. We're tired and have a small squad that came up short in terms of auto. Nothing wrong in that as i know in my heart of hearts that is what has happened. We have massively overachieved and in the cold light of day after all the excitement of possible promotion has gone we should remember that.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote: WRONG!
Our form, therefore, across the last 10 games, is, as near as makes no difference, identical.

Matt.
Matt, recent form is better indicated by the last six games rather than the last ten. In their last six games, Cheltenham gained 12 points, Torquay 6 points. But as I said above, the Gulls were playing, in theory at least, somewhat tougher opposition.

So I'm right and you're wrong! :na: :na: :na: :na: :na: =D =D
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ferrarilover wrote: You live, quite voluntarily, among many Americans, your opinion is completely worthless. :~D

Matt.

I'll keeeeeeeeel you!
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

Going back to much earlier in this thread where somebody asked me as an outsider who did I fancy to go up. I think a great deal depends on who reaches the final.
I honestly think that you are capable of beating Cheltenham over two legs provided you don't capsize like saturday.If you come back to your ground with anything other than a greater thgan one goal defeat then I think you will win. In the final I think it will depend who wins the other semi final. If it is Crewe then i think you can go up however if it is Southend then I think they will go up and I base that on current form and I think they have the players up front capable of outscoring you.
One thing I would say YOU as supporters must go to each game CONVINCED you can win. Believe in your players because over the season they have done you proud. I would say your position has been against all the odds and as such you have shown on many occasions that you CAN win games 1-0 and come back strongly in games as you did against us. These factors could be VERY important in the cup finals ahead.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

You base that on current form?!?!? WRONG!

Scorer, any mathematician, scientist or data analyst will tell you that taking your sample from a more narrow range will make your results LESS representative. 10 games is a perfect balance between relevance (not too long) and representativeness (not too short). I stand by my results.

Matt.
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Post by GulldenBoy »

Oi!

This is the first time i've been on since I posted this and there was me thinking I've got a good debate going but then to see that it has turned into a sniping match.

I don't agree with what some of the people who are being attacked are saying but just because they have a different opinion to you doesn't mean you have the right to start calling people "morons" and shouting them down.

A forum is there for debate and differences in opinion are healthy but whether some of you realise it or not you are going to far with your castigation of some of the members when their opinions don't match your own.
Wubble U
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Sills
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Wubble U »

ferrarilover wrote:You base that on current form?!?!? WRONG!

Scorer, any mathematician, scientist or data analyst will tell you that taking your sample from a more narrow range will make your results LESS representative. 10 games is a perfect balance between relevance (not too long) and representativeness (not too short). I stand by my results.

Matt.

form generally takes into account the last 6 games rather than 10.
if anything form is something better represented by a narrower result set.
the most recent results IS you're form

i think for once you may need to accept you're wrong Matt

or at least accept that, by you're own logic, form is more representative over 46 games :lol: