Torquay United v Cheltenham Town - 17.5.12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
clemy1989
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Wroe

Post by clemy1989 »

The "clowns" were from the torquay end. Once again stupid kids thinking there clever. Think manse went over to them would love to have heard what he said
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

We couldn't have asked for much more from the lads tonight. On another day we would’ve been 4-0 up at half-time, but it just wasn't to be for us over the two legs. If that was the last we see of the likes of Eunan and Ellis, then they can take enormous credit for their efforts tonight and throughout the campaign.

Kudos to Mark Yates for producing a Cheltenham side immeasurably better than the one last season. This tie between two evenly-matched sides was always going to be decided by which could make best use of their chances and luck - that side proved to be CTFC. I wouldn't begrudge either them or Crewe the win at Wembley and a place in League One.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

If we had their front 4 we'd have won this tie about 8-1 overall. Sadly we don't have players with the same quality as their wingers and strikers and it's been the massive difference over the two legs and is the reason they are in the final.

Over the course of the season we've been a nearly side but we've massively over achieved in the 1st place. It's been a great effort from the management and players with the lack of resources and talent available. As ever though hard work will only get you so far and unfortunately we are slightly imbalanced within the squad in that we've got too many 'hard workers' and not enough 'matchwinners'.
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

Tai scored!

Funny how quick fans are to criticise him and how slow they are to acknowledge any success,
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

The wingers were the difference tonight; that and the fact that we only have one worthy striker on our books.

Morris, Jarvis and Atieno can go bye-bye. I was prepared to give Jarvis a chance, but he could hardly stand up tonight.

Players that we must keep (or get good money for):

Bobby
Ellis
Saah
Nico
Manse
Lathrope
O'Kane
Rene

Players that do a useful job for TUFC, but whose departure would not matter greatly:

Rice
Oastler
LRT
Stevens

Ones for the future:

Leadbitter
Halpin
Craig

The rest could leave tomorrow and it wouldn't affect our performance next season or any other.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
yellow
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by yellow »

Limitations exposed

Lack of quality up front.

Not ready for Div 1 yet anyway.

Did Morris really play at a higher level?

Season over.

Goodnight.
"A day without football is a day lost" (Ernst Happel)
"Look at the (Plainmoor) stars, Look how they shine for you, And everything you do, Yeah they were all yellow" (C. Martin)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

kittiwake wrote:Tai scored!

Funny how quick fans are to criticise him and how slow they are to acknowledge any success,
Yup, utter shit all season, one pointless, meaningless consolation makes up for everything...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I left as a fan with pride, I hoped if we were going to fall tonight we would go down fighting, and their is no doubt the lads did that, their keeper and the post stopped us in the end, us fan's,could ask for no more out of our team tonight.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Ausgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs -Legend

Post by Ausgull »

I'm not sure the boys could have done much more tonight they really gave it their best but in the end it wasn't good enough.We have had our chances and if you look at the last six games ( no wins ) you cant help think that we threw it away.
OK we may have overachieved this season but when you are sitting second in the league 8 weeks ago and had a chance for automatic promotion and the loan window was still open I cant understand why we did not bring in a couple of players as it has come back to bite us in end.
I still think we have the nucleus of a good team and need a few more positional players so I hope Lingy brings in some decent players over the off season.
Yes it has been a great season but it could of been so much better.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

forevertufc wrote:I left as a fan with pride, I hoped if we were going to fall tonight we would go down fighting, and their is no doubt the lads did that, their keeper and the post stopped us in the end, us fan's,could ask for no more out of our team tonight.
I echo that sentiment
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Echo most of the above, we gave it a very good go, thats all you can ask for.

Lets be honest, we'd have struggled in L1 and as a club we're not yet prepared for the next level.

I think we'll lose Olejnik, Eunan and possibly Ellis.

I'd actually keep Tai, he's done ok for me, scored 7 or 8 is it in considerably less than a full season and although doesnt suit 4-5-1 as he cant hold the ball up, does do better in a 4-4-2. I do actually think we need another striker though as options are limited and chances go begging.

Wouldnt keep Jarvis and the fringe players need to step it up. Halpin, Yeoman (if retained), Leadbitter (where has he been?).

Looking forward to the fixture release already, fingers crossed Cheltenham stay down to add to the west country feel of L2.
TUST #324
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

absolutely gutted, but just proves again you don't always get what you (think you) deserve in football. over the 2 legs we didn't have a single ounce of luck. over the 180mins we hit the woodwork 4 times, not one lucky bounce, none fell to one of our players, and not one went in. both mcglashan goals in off the post. if ever there was living proof for what can happen if you don't take your chances at 0-0, anything can happen. even when we got a goal, and looked like getting at least a draw on the night, they go up the other end and score a goal he'll only ever hit that well 1 in 100.

feel really gutted for the lads, because they have put so much in this season, it feels right now that we'e blown it, but realistically it's been a great effort, the players and fans should be really proud of what they've done this season. this, Mr Buckle, is what is known as over-achieving, take note.

unfortunately i wasn't able to be there last night and had to make do with Sky, but what it did make me realise, which being at the ground would most likely have gone un-noticed, is Cheltenham must have the ugliest team on the planet. what is with all the pikey haircuts ?!?!? what a freak show.

so, cheltenham will not win at wembley because crewe will beat them, and they won't even win a consolation beauty pageant either. suddenly i feel like a winner.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Morrissey scored the winner didn't he?
TUST #324
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Mav wrote: I echo that sentiment

I do too. I still believe the future could be a good one as there is the spine of a really good side at Plainmoor and with a lot less loanees as well. ML is building gradually and it may be the best way forward for a sustained promotion push and, more critically, a settled club in League 1 (3rd Div in old money). No luck at all over the two legs but our results have been poor leading up to the POs so although it hurts is still better than losing at Wembley or even winning and going up but coming straight back down again. Next season? why not!! :-D
Oblivion!!!!
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

ferrarilover wrote: Yup, utter sh*t all season, one pointless, meaningless consolation makes up for everything...

Matt.
Thought this would being out an OTT response from you, Matt. Jusv waiting for something similar from Austrian Andy who seems to have gone to ground.