Successful season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Has this season been a successful one for TUFC?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 52

tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Successful season?

Post by tktufc91 »

I know this may seem like a stupid question after our play-off defeat, but looking at the bigger picture, this season has surpassed my expectations as a fan. Considering I was expecting us to be nearer the lower end of the table this season, can we consider this season a successful one?
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Without doubt, if someone says we havent then I dont know what they expected
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

overachieved by miles.

well done to everyone at the club and our great fans! :bow: :clap:
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

There are 14 league 2 clubs that began the season wishing they where in our position(excl top 3) so yes in that respect we had a great season, but had 1 of those chances in the 1st half gone in???????
Lucy
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

It's Ling's fault we're in League 2.

In all seriousness just like last season it's been a massive overacheivement, we have no right whatsoever to be in the top 7 this season with the absolute lack of quality and depth in our playing squad and all of the players and management staff deserve a huge pat on the back for this season.

Over the course of the season I've been positve with my thoughts but I was seriously worried when we kicked off this season with our squad. I felt their were players with huge ? next to their names and when it was clear we were going to be playing 2 or 3 players that have been squad players for the last couple of years I genuinely thought we could have a battle against relegation this year. To finish 5th was beyond my wildest dreams, i was waiting for us to collapse horrendously and although we couldn't get over the line, the 9 or 10 straight defeats (macclesfield style) that I thought could happen with our squad never materialised thankfully.

Again credit to everyone at the club, I just wonder if the board are quite happy with how it ended up. I mentioned elsewhere about how L2 could well be financially better for us than L1, we won't have those extra costs, we've got into the playoffs so had 2 Sky games which would have helped the coffers for the new stand.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

I just hope the fans dont expect too much next season putting a lot of pressure on the club. I think everyones more surprised at how this season turned out after the disasterous summer we had, what with Buckle buggering off taking half our players with him and and then Ling coming in who wasnt most peoples first choice candidate!! Expectations were low going in to this season and they werent helped with the terrible blip we suffered near the beginning.

As often said, its a hell of a lot easier playing the game with no pressure on your shoulders, than playing when expected to win!!

We've got a steady ship this summer so Lingy can work his finger in pie magic and sort out the dead wood and he's got time to look at new players with out rushing his signings!!
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

tufc si wrote:I just hope the fans dont expect too much next season putting a lot of pressure on the club. I think everyones more surprised at how this season turned out after the disasterous summer we had, what with Buckle buggering off taking half our players with him and and then Ling coming in who wasnt most peoples first choice candidate!! Expectations were low going in to this season and they werent helped with the terrible blip we suffered near the beginning.

As often said, its a hell of a lot easier playing the game with no pressure on your shoulders, than playing when expected to win!!

We've got a steady ship this summer so Lingy can work his finger in pie magic and sort out the dead wood and he's got time to look at new players with out rushing his signings!!

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

:nod:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Wonderland
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nathan Craig

Post by Wonderland »

With out any shadow of doubt it was successful and enjoyable. I think at the end of the day with Rene's injury as well- we just ranout of steam

We are after all a Division Two Club over achieving on the second lowest budget in our league. We have been 'Bloody marvellous'. The squad is small and yet sometimes we have seen some breath taking footy. Well done to Martin and his staff.

Those who moan are the younger ones i.e. under 55 who were not brought up on a diet of wall to wall Premiership on the goggle box. When I was a teenager we had the Cup Final , The European Cup and the odd England match live on TV. That was it !! In 1962 the World Cup was shown from Chile - now that was living!

Then it was an honour for us kids to go along to Plainmoor with 8,000 gates and watch our heroes - or else we just played in the streets or parks.

But having come home and thoght about I have enjoyed this season, I have just watched the first half of the match on Sky, and the commentators thought that we had a superb first half and that we were unlucky plus hge plaudits for Brown was on top form in The Robin's goal.

Roll on August.

Den

P.S. I spoke to The Chairman on the way out and he agreed that we need more forwards. Yippee. Can't wait !!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

using the strict definition of successful, i'd say no, because ultimately we acheived nothing tangible? impressive yes.successful no
still keeping the faith
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

bixieupnorth wrote:using the strict definition of successful, i'd say no, because ultimately we acheived nothing tangible? impressive yes.successful no
With what he had to start with, and where he has taken us with the squad size/wages he had available are you serious?
Success for us is being in league 2 next season, let alone anything over and above that.
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

Success or not, did we enjoy it? YES.

Will take another one of those next year please.
TUST #324
Craney TUFC11
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Craney TUFC11 »

Excellent season with a very limited squad, lets face it you would have had half of the side Buckle had last year above some of our lesser players. The starting 11 we had this season was capable of promotion but the bench was not and that was our undoing in the end. Ling has proved everyone wrong and is very refreshing how he handles himself. He does not seek self gratification like Buckle, lets the football do the talking, gives an honest assessment and stands out the way at the end of the game and lets the players take their applase. Good luck to him for next year.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

31-1 so far for a successful season. I see Brucie has had a chance to vote. ;-)

Cracking advert last night for League 2 football.

Proper football. So much better than that over hyped Premiersh@t or the European 4 Champions per Country League.

Now that it's all over we can all relax and enjoy the Summer for a couple of months. As one of the few people still living who can remember England winning the World Cup I have no expectations for our national team so the penalty shoot out defeat in the Quarter Final will pass me by ... I will be living La Dolce Vita in a bar in Florence during the quarter finals so may just feign interest whilst mixing with those Il Calcio loving crazy Italians!

Next date for diary .... 18 June 2012 ... Fixture list announced so we can plan our diary for the following 9 months and visits to Gnome Park and Sid James Park.

Have a good Summer everybody. :engflag:
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

Very enjoyable, and unexpected season. Sad end, but then someone had to lose. Unfortunetly it was us. Credit to the boys, on the pitch, and those behind the scenes. We have some great matches to look forward to next season. A good summer and ready to go again August 18th,
COYY
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

A very successful season, I would have been happy with a 12th-14th place finish this year so for us finishing in the play off's is truly fantastic. Obviously as we were so close to go up automatically it is a little disappointing that we will be playing league 2 football next year, however as I've already mentioned a great season and bring on August! COYY!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.