What do we need next season?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Why do you all assume Lathrope is off?

Ling said the deal was done a few weeks ago and it was to be signed after the season. Stop being bitter about what happened with Jo Kuffour and respect the gentleman's agreement! Lathrope isn't better than us yet anyway.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

Glostergull wrote: I bought by food outside.
have you got a cold gloster!! a 2nd class return to dottingham please!! the curse of the mobile phone strikes once again!
still keeping the faith
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

A marketing department...

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
loyalgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by loyalgull »

I see Southampton have released Lee Holmes. I hear Oxford are in for him (he was on loan there as well as Swindon, last season). However, if Swindon want him I am sure he will go there. Could we afford his wages? I thought he performed 'OK' when we played Swindon at their place, and was similar in the JPT final. He clearly has a bit of class about him; a good touch and delivery. If we can get him at reasonable wages, would be a very good signing.

Additionally, could we make a sneaky bid for McLeod at Barnet? I'm not sure how much the Sky coverage has given us, but that, plus money for Eunan meant we could perhaps make an offer (providing Ling is given a large percentage of it). Apparently Oxford want him and will offer £110k. Barnet apparently holding out for £180k. Granted, he was poor against us at their place earlier in the season, but his goal tally for the last few seasons is excellent; he has scored 32 in 73 appearances for Barnet. Think him and Howe would compliment each other well. I appreciate that historically we don't spend large sums of money on players (Constantine is the exception), however if we get £200k+ for EoK, then surely getting these two with that money would represent good business?

I would also like to see McDonald on a season long loan if Ellis leaves.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

Im back online at last... Hello Everyone.

I was thinking, if we could get a decent fee for Eunan and Ling get a large chunck of that to spend. I think we would be better off. Mr O'Kane is a class act we all know that but he wont be here for much longer. Right now i would honeslty let him go for the right fee and bring in a few good players to add more to the squad.

I would like to see Easton signed up as hes a good player and he could do a decent job for us. Plus he has experience which would be good for a fairly young side. I can see Ellis staying, i thought lathrope would but a lot of you think hes off to Luton which would surprise me really.

I would like to see an out and out winger with some pace signed as Morris doesnt do it for me out wide. Hes good out there but watching how Mclegshan and Mohammed or how ever you spell them got at us with that pace i just felt thats something we lack. Plus an extra striker who can score would be great. Rene scored 13 or so this season thats an average total, if we had one more doing the same we would have been fine.

There is a lot of good player being let go by clubs this summer and us like a lot of clubs have a chance to get a decent sqauad together to build on what we already have.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

loyalgull wrote:I see Southampton have released Lee Holmes. I hear Oxford are in for him (he was on loan there as well as Swindon, last season). However, if Swindon want him I am sure he will go there. Could we afford his wages? I thought he performed 'OK' when we played Swindon at their place, and was similar in the JPT final. He clearly has a bit of class about him; a good touch and delivery. If we can get him at reasonable wages, would be a very good signing.

Additionally, could we make a sneaky bid for McLeod at Barnet? I'm not sure how much the Sky coverage has given us, but that, plus money for Eunan meant we could perhaps make an offer (providing Ling is given a large percentage of it). Apparently Oxford want him and will offer £110k. Barnet apparently holding out for £180k. Granted, he was poor against us at their place earlier in the season, but his goal tally for the last few seasons is excellent; he has scored 32 in 73 appearances for Barnet. Think him and Howe would compliment each other well. I appreciate that historically we don't spend large sums of money on players (Constantine is the exception), however if we get £200k+ for EoK, then surely getting these two with that money would represent good business?

I would also like to see McDonald on a season long loan if Ellis leaves.
No chance of that happening, spoke to his dad before the Cheltenham game, Angus does not want to warm anyone's sub's bench, and is looking next term to be somewhere he will play regularly, I would be shocked to see back here next season, as he believed he was coming here as a first team starter.Again that was from his dad.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

forevertufc wrote: No chance of that happening, spoke to his dad before the Cheltenham game, Angus does not want to warm anyone's sub's bench, and is looking next term to be somewhere he will play regularly, I would be shocked to see back here next season, as he believed he was coming here as a first team starter.Again that was from his dad.
In fairness, if Ellis goes that's exactly what McDonald would be.

From what you say, that's the sort of attitude I wouldn't want to see at the club. McDonald is a young pro - he can't expect to come down here and walk into the side. I'm sure lingy - who saw him everyday in training - gave him the chance, but ultimately he couldn't displace the Saah/Ellis partnership
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Be surprised if Lathrope opts to join Luton now.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Jeff wrote: In fairness, if Ellis goes that's exactly what McDonald would be.

From what you say, that's the sort of attitude I wouldn't want to see at the club. McDonald is a young pro - he can't expect to come down here and walk into the side. I'm sure lingy - who saw him everyday in training - gave him the chance, but ultimately he couldn't displace the Saah/Ellis partnership
The fact he is a young pro (19) makes playing regularly more important, if he is to become stronger, develop, learn etc, etc he needs to be playing, dont think he expected to burst striaght into side, however according to his dad, he would never have agreed to come if he was going to spend so much time out of the team, which was not impression he was given, sort understand it as already said he is at a crucial age, and must at this stage of his career be playing football, but this is football never say never to anything.

Oh just to repeat as a general point, be saying since Port Vale home, still think it, Mark ellis will sign a new contract.
Formerly known as forevertufc
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

would love to see us spend all the eunan money on mcleod, but i guess a lot will need to offset the cost of the stand. a proper 20 a season goalscorer is the most important element for me
still keeping the faith
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

McLeod barely scored a goal post Xmas, I am also led to believe he's a massive belmont. My gut feeling is telling me we'll lose Ellis and O'Kane along with the standard few released (won't be many as for some ludicrous reason we gave 2 years to a few players who had LOADS to prove) so obviously we'll need 2 centre backs as Aberdeen Angus will be heading back to Ding u18s. Easton may well be one they've lined up to replace Eunan, i wouldn't be too disappointed to see Morris move inside and play central midfield, actually allowing us to sign at least 1 but 2 ideally proper wingers. Then of course we need another striker, my gut feeling is they'll offer Tai another year but even so we are 1 short up there.

I would personally like a new right back but I don't think that will happen nor do I think they believe it to be a priority. Fair enough.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

tai needs to be shipped out asap and we need more pace upfront
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gulltom
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by gulltom »

Richard Logan has been released, maybe worth a shout? Proven at this level and but has obvious Grecian connections and probably wouldn't come cheap. Thoughts?
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

McLeod has been released by Barnet. I'm sure he'll have lots of suitors though.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I too would like to see a real pacy winger (or two!) added to our squad next season. The likes of Marshall at Rotherham or Myrie-Williams at Stevenage (but played against us for Port Vale) have both been released by their respective clubs and would fit the bill.