plainmoor members' club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Indeed, it's a good idea. Sounds like there's still a couple of problems with the set up though, but as a club off the field we're in a better shape so I'd expect this to be improved this summer.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

so no sticky then?
still keeping the faith
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

I honestly don't see the point of this at all. It doesn't really make life any cheaper, so I assume it is some kind of charity payment as mentioned above. But sounds like they get less than £750/month from everyone, then deduct the money lost from cheaper ticket sales, so, in the scheme of things/compared to the annual turnover for example, this is a pittance.. divided by 100. The club will barely notice this, or more to the point, could live without it, and could make this money instead by devoting all the time and money spent dealing with the scheme, sending people out advertising on a Saturday morning to boost the crowds. Even if they only convinced/reminded 20 people extra to go to the game, that's about the same £ annually ....

So it seems a waste of time as a money earner for the club, and not much cop in saving the fans money. So again... What is the point exactly?

I'd personally much prefer 2 levels of membership, one being £20/month and entitled you to £5 tickets for you and a +1, to boost crowds, and maybe for those well-off a premium package, £50/month for free entry + £5 for a friend, and maybe every 3 months you get a £25 shop voucher. End product = more money spent, yet more savings to be had, plus crowd boosted and more people wearing yellow shirts as cashed in with their shop credit.

£18 a ticket is too much for me let alone having to pay same again for my mrs who has little interest in footy. So last season I saw 4 games, so total spent was about £70. If the club did these options I suggested I'd be tempted with either and I'd thus be forced to attend every game with my mrs to make sure I got good value. Bigger crowds, more money, more food sales, better atmosphere, more chance of winning ...
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

the_shredder wrote:I honestly don't see the point of this at all. It doesn't really make life any cheaper, so I assume it is some kind of charity payment as mentioned above. But sounds like they get less than £750/month from everyone, then deduct the money lost from cheaper ticket sales, so, in the scheme of things/compared to the annual turnover for example, this is a pittance.. divided by 100. The club will barely notice this, or more to the point, could live without it, and could make this money instead by devoting all the time and money spent dealing with the scheme, sending people out advertising on a Saturday morning to boost the crowds. Even if they only convinced/reminded 20 people extra to go to the game, that's about the same £ annually ....

So it seems a waste of time as a money earner for the club, and not much cop in saving the fans money. So again... What is the point exactly?

I'd personally much prefer 2 levels of membership, one being £20/month and entitled you to £5 tickets for you and a +1, to boost crowds, and maybe for those well-off a premium package, £50/month for free entry + £5 for a friend, and maybe every 3 months you get a £25 shop voucher. End product = more money spent, yet more savings to be had, plus crowd boosted and more people wearing yellow shirts as cashed in with their shop credit.

£18 a ticket is too much for me let alone having to pay same again for my mrs who has little interest in footy. So last season I saw 4 games, so total spent was about £70. If the club did these options I suggested I'd be tempted with either and I'd thus be forced to attend every game with my mrs to make sure I got good value. Bigger crowds, more money, more food sales, better atmosphere, more chance of winning ...
Lovely idea, but if £18 is too much, what's going to make you pony up £600/year? The idea is that this is for exiles who don't make many games, which is why they don't just have a season ticket... There's lots wrong with your alternative suggestion, so I shan't labour the point, except to say...

Then don't **** ing bring her!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
numpte
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Me

Post by numpte »

the_shredder wrote:I honestly don't see the point of this at all. It doesn't really make life any cheaper, so I assume it is some kind of charity payment as mentioned above. But sounds like they get less than £750/month from everyone, then deduct the money lost from cheaper ticket sales, so, in the scheme of things/compared to the annual turnover for example, this is a pittance.. divided by 100. The club will barely notice this, or more to the point, could live without it, and could make this money instead by devoting all the time and money spent dealing with the scheme, sending people out advertising on a Saturday morning to boost the crowds. Even if they only convinced/reminded 20 people extra to go to the game, that's about the same £ annually ....
I think your missing the point. Granted if doesn't make much sense if you live in the area and go to the games, either regularly or irregularly.

It appeals to exiles who want to contribute. I'd argue having 50 exiled members who don't go very often handing over £500 a month + was a good idea from the clubs point of view (money for nothing) and anyone attending away games in the South East knows we have alot of exiles.

I hand over about £180 for my 5 or 6 games and would probably do more if there was some additional enticement.
TUST #324
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

Ok numpte so doesn't that mean you like the idea of a 2level membership fee? You would pay more if you could?

And in response to "don't bring the mrs" she's only been to a few games of any type and currently does t relish the idea but each time is enjoying it more n more. I converted an argyle fan to a gull (an ex) via a similar persistance, but it's too expensive to bother. So yes I leave her at home. How does anyone benefit from that? I have money, so my suggestions would appeal to me. However £18 for 1 game in league 2 does not. Like it or not, there's plenty of fans like me that check the scores and listen to the radio and attend the occasional game, but if the club wants to convert fans like myself into every-game-ers, then I'm suggestion a scheme angled at u would be a good idea too/instead as there must surely be far more that would use it.

Being able to pay monthly for the entire ticket prices of the full season on direct debit, alone, removes the decision of "do I want to gamble £18 on enjoying my afternoon or I could save it put it towards something else equally worthwhile" instead you only need to think going to TUFC is a good idea at the time you sign up and there-after the decision has already been made for you. Encouraging you to do what you want to do already but sometimes decide against for various finance or effort reasons.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

You need to decide whether you "have money" (very impressive, have a cookie)

Or

If "£18 a ticket is too much for me"

There are frighteningly few people kicking about who have the sort of money available. The club would administrate a scheme which, in all likelihood, would attract two or three people a year. If you feel so strongly, and have so much disposable income that it really doesn't matter to you, why not sign up to the present scheme and just donate your £x every month?

Matt.
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

Your humour has it's place, but there is little need to be rude and condescending for no reason whatsoever. I'm sorry if TUFC is your boyfriend and i have offended you.

I don't believe i was claiming to be rich, i said i have money or in other words, i have enough money to be able to splash out on a few games of footy if i want to, though it would be 'splashing out' as i am not rich. It depends on what value for money i'd be getting, and i'd rather spend twice as much if i was getting value for money, whereas in my opinion (more than just yourself have them you know) £18 for a league 2 game is not, on a regular basis.
I'd spend £5,000 on a car, but not on a chocolate bar. Does this make sense? Yes? You can have a cookie too.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

the_shredder wrote:Your humour has it's place, but there is little need to be rude and condescending for no reason whatsoever. I'm sorry if TUFC is your boyfriend and i have offended you.

Hut hummm
the_shredder wrote:Of course it was - it was banter - Matt seems to be a bit misunderstood sometimes for some reason? Such misunderstood comments make perfect sense to me :P life would be sh*t n dull without humour and banter, we can't spend our whole lives shaking hands and "how do you do"ing each other.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

the_shredder wrote:...there is little need to be rude and condescending... I'm sorry if TUFC is your boyfriend and i have offended you.
Physician, heal thyself.
the_shredder wrote:I don't believe i was claiming to be rich, i said i have money or in other words, i have enough money to be able to splash out on a few games of footy if i want to
So, you're not completely and literally penniless then, not really the same thing as 'having money' except in a strictly literal sense.
the_shredder wrote: It depends on what value for money i'd be getting, in my opinion £18 for a league 2 game is not
I'm very much afraid that this is how much L2 football is. There might be one or two clubs who will charge you slightly less, maybe follow them instead?
the_shredder wrote: I'd spend £5,000 on a car, but not on a chocolate bar. Does this make sense?
Yes, perfectly, thank you, you have proven my my point above perfectly. Cars are five grand, chocolate bars are 50p, no good suggesting that £5000 for a car is poor value, because that's just how much cars are.
the_shredder wrote: You can have a cookie too.
Excellent, please make yourself known to me at your next match, I would like a Maryland Double Chocolate Chip.

Matt.
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

Charging £18 for a L2 game because "that's how much L2 football is" is not a very 'thinking outside the box' way to go about improving attendance/turnover. From reading this thread, i can see that the membership scheme is not about boosting attendance, so maybe you're missing my point, but the point of the scheme is to boost revenue, which in boosting the attendance you will do - both in ticket sales, and helping to sustain a stronger fan-base.

I have this opinion based on a real life example: me. I am someone who attends some games. Now look at the attendance of a "big" game compared to a "small" game, and tell me how many people really fall into a similar category as myself, so far? (not taking into account financial stability yet)

£18 for me to stand on my own (none of my friends who support TUFC can afford to go anymore) is bad value for enjoyment factor, especially as we may play badly and spend the whole afternoon feeling disappointed. If you're now thinking "so what, call yourself a fan?!" well, you can call me what you want. I follow Torquay, and i like to pay money to watch the team play, if they win/lose not important, but i like to be entertained which i always am, as long as they're trying. That's my/most peoples belief, i think? I am sure most people would agree that this is more fun to watch with a friend as opposed to on your own. So hopefully we can agree on everything so far (though i am not in any way assuming so)

So like i said, last season the club made £70 from me, and i watched 4 games. I just don't fancy forking out that much money, to watch the game on my own, knowing we might play badly, because it's bad value for money in a world where there are many other hobbies, let alone bills etc. But if i could pay £20/month by DD, i would see that as just another bill, i wouldn't really notice it among my electric/gas/water/phone/internet/car/mortgage etc. but then if i could get a ticket for say £5 and bring a friend too for £10 or something, then i would suddenly attend every game, and sure i could find a friend to pay that too (or pay for the mrs!) because i'd already be comitted to! the club would make £50/month out of me effectively. This might be less than "how much L2 football is" but it would be more money than no money. I'd rather sell 100 DVDs for £3 than 0 DVDs at £10. (i sell DVDs sorry for random analogy)

You can think whatever you want about such an idea, at the end of the day i'm just thinking outside the box of something the club could try. And fact is, it's never been done, so you can't say it wouldn't work, as there is no way to accurately know how many people who take advantage of such an offer unless it became available. You say 2 or 3 i say 200 or 300. Who knows.

Anyway i'll pipe down so you can return to discussing the scheme that DOES exist that makes a huge 0.00001% increase in the turnover
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

You make a lot of sense. Football is a rip off. People say it's a great move when the club freezes ticket prices. Whens the last time ticket prices were reduced? will they ever be reduced? Surely they can't keep going up every other year. It's time prices came down by a quid or 2 I think.
the_shredder
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by the_shredder »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... sfeed=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - man city, wigan and villa all offering season tickets for under £300, where you can see the worlds best (even if it is only in the away squads :devil: )

L2 prices are disproportionate to the clubs outgoings, compared to that of the premier league. Premier League clubs have other income to help with the costs, granted, i don't want to get into a huge debate about that - but this also supports my point that, perhaps L2 clubs can find a better way to get fans to reach into their pockets, other than just raising the ticket prices. Everyone seems to have missed my suggestion that the wages spent on people dealing with the membership scheme could be spent on sending someone round town on a saturday morning with a sandwich board getting people / reminding them to come to the game. I'd say TUFC is run very well, and to even be making a profit is great - but what better time than to experiment with something that could potentially increase turnover by a big percentage, not to mention knock-on effect of more fans = better atmosphere = more wins = more points on the board.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Parry wrote:You make a lot of sense. Football is a rip off. People say it's a great move when the club freezes ticket prices. Whens the last time ticket prices were reduced? will they ever be reduced? Surely they can't keep going up every other year. It's time prices came down by a quid or 2 I think.
Well, that makes one of you.

Are you nine years old?

Matt.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

the_shredder wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012 ... sfeed=true - man city, wigan and villa all offering season tickets for under £300, where you can see the worlds best (even if it is only in the away squads :devil: )

L2 prices are disproportionate to the clubs outgoings, compared to that of the premier league. Premier League clubs have other income to help with the costs, granted, i don't want to get into a huge debate about that - but this also supports my point that, perhaps L2 clubs can find a better way to get fans to reach into their pockets, other than just raising the ticket prices. Everyone seems to have missed my suggestion that the wages spent on people dealing with the membership scheme could be spent on sending someone round town on a saturday morning with a sandwich board getting people / reminding them to come to the game. I'd say TUFC is run very well, and to even be making a profit is great - but what better time than to experiment with something that could potentially increase turnover by a big percentage, not to mention knock-on effect of more fans = better atmosphere = more wins = more points on the board.

Premier League clubs have enough tv revenue to be able to pay their fans to watch them, hardly a valid comparison is it?
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com