Atieno gone

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

I wouldn't worry about the comment made by Lingy as to it was a case of Jarvis or Atieno as that was all the budget would allow. Much the same as the situation with our centre halves, I reckon He probably wants 4 in the squad with Howe as his first choice, Jarvis second (or third) and Yeoman as fourth, leaving scope to bring in another one to fill the third (or second) slot. Of course, if he went for someone like Billy Bodin then as with the centre half who can also play left back scenario, he would have a player who could not only play as a striker but also as a wide man and more naturally I would suggest than Ryan Jarvis who is more of a striker than a winger for me.

Anyway, the right decision for me, I think Lingy is spot on in his assessment of Tai, he has served us well on occasions this season and I thank him for that but in all honesty if we were going to go with the same four forwards next season (Howe, Jarvis, Atieno and Yeoman) then we could hardly complain if we fell short again at the last hurdle could we? As Lingy suggests I think Jarvis has the better technique and in League 2 (having always played at a higher level) he may just have found a level that suits him and in which he can thrive. He (Jarvis) reminds me a bit of Blair Sturrock in some ways i.e. an underrated player who was quietly effective but lacked goals - hopefully Jarvis has a little more quality about him, particularly in front of goal ..... Oh and also let's hope he has a little more luck too, would be good if he could practice shooting/heading into the net during the close season rather than at the frame of the goal!!!!!
blueboy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by blueboy »

From the outside it looks like Ling is trying to go for more quality, less quantity. A great move if everyone stays injury free through the season but risky. He was accused of making those mistakes at Cambridge.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

You'd probably be correct, but as we only used 14/15 players in the season just gone, I'd expect us to have more than that (of a better quality) when August comes around. :)
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I feel Martin Ling will keep a couple of cards (or a small part of his budget) up his sleeve in case he needs to strengthen the squad halfway through next season, to ensure we do not fall away in the last few games of the campaign.

A couple of appropriate signings in January or February, something not possible with our budget this season and with the signings ML had to make last summer, with one or two players' wages being paid for three or four months instead of a whole season, could make all the difference to a promotion campaign next year.

Certainly ML will have learned lessons from the team's declining form during the last few games of this season.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Their is no doubt Tai Atieno scored some important goals for us, and during the christmas period when the team needed a player to step up to the plate Tai did just that.

However during the course of the season there were to may times when I felt as a fan, he looked dissinterested, and failed to step up when needed.

I have no gripe with the lad however, so thank you Tai, and I wish the best of luck.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I thank Tai for his efforts with us and he scored some vital goals but also played appallingly in most of the games i saw him play. He is not good enough for tufc and i,ve said thar pretty much from day one. It,s not a character assassination, he is simply not good enough end of. I am very pleased he has left but i say thankyou tai.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am still puzzled why everyone thinks Jarvis is better than Atiemo. I think he is underated, Jarvis couldn't score from two yards out in the play offs yet Atieno come on and scores straight away. It was a good header as well as the ball was going behind him.
If Yeoman and Jarvis are what we have to look forward to god help us.
TUFC92
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by TUFC92 »

I wouldn't worry about Lings comments either. I think what he is saying is that the budget for a 2nd/3rd choice striker was however much and he could afford to keep one or the other for the amount of money willing to pay for a striker who won't be first choice. As somebody else said, same with the centre half situation in that he didn't think Palmer was good enough to be 3rd choice so he couldn't keep him and McKenzie.

Good decision from Ling and once again good to see the truth being told, early on as well. When was the last time that we got to our first pre season game with quite a few of our plans into place? Usually it isn't until after the first game of the season that we can be pleased with our squad when we've been watching other teams start doing there business from this time. Hopefully this season things will be different and it is good management from Ling.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I don't know if this is true, but as Arthur Daly is the wizard of buying/selling goods, then Tai is the Kenyan equivalent. ;-)

If it is true then it would appear that football is only a hobby for Tai.

The Country & Western duo known as Richard Edwards and Bruce Stuckey pursued their "hobby" after their playing days.

Thank you Tai for your vital goals in the season just ended and best wishes for your future career. :-D
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Northumbergull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Watson
Location: Widdrington Station, Northumberland (hence the monicker)

Post by Northumbergull »

Thanks, Tai. You were, nevertheless, a servant to the club and, for that, we thank you.

Best of luck wherever you land next.

Cheers

Bruce
Northumberland Gulls, we drive south to all the games!
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

brucie wrote:I am still puzzled why everyone thinks Jarvis is better than Atiemo. I think he is underated, Jarvis couldn't score from two yards out in the play offs yet Atieno come on and scores straight away. It was a good header as well as the ball was going behind him.
If Yeoman and Jarvis are what we have to look forward to god help us.
I'm interested to see how Jarvis is used next season. Will he become Howe's back-up, like Tai has been, or go up 4-4-2.
It may surprise fans that Tai's goal tally in comparison to minutes on the pitch, compares favourably to Howe's!
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

Trojan 67 wrote:I don't know if this is true, but as Arthur Daly is the wizard of buying/selling goods, then Tai is the Kenyan equivalent. ;-) If it is true then it would appear that football is only a hobby for Tai.

The Country & Western duo known as Richard Edwards and Bruce Stuckey pursued their "hobby" after their playing days.

Thank you Tai for your vital goals in the season just ended and best wishes for your future career. :-D
)Please elaborate! Do you have a reliable source? By the way, he may play for Kenya, but he was brought up solely by the English side of his family so is more British than Kenyan!

Playing for Torquay was NOT just a hobby. Tai took his fitness regime really seriously - lots of additional exercise besides the training, strict diet regime and no alcohol. How many other team members themselves so seriously I wonder. His play may not have been good enough but please don't put it down to laziness or lack of interest!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

So, no beer, no sloth, plenty of interest, no distractions, extra training, high fitness. Only one thing left, he must suffer a lack of talent. Sadly, of all the traits here mentioned, the only one beyond his control is ability, you can't polish a turd, but you can make it run more and stop drinking. Shame.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
kittiwake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by kittiwake »

ferrarilover wrote:So, no beer, no sloth, plenty of interest, no distractions, extra training, high fitness. Only one thing left, he must suffer a lack of talent. Sadly, of all the traits here mentioned, the only one beyond his control is ability, you can't polish a turd, but you can make it run more and stop drinking. Shame.

Matt.
Nice to hear from you again, Mr Ferrari - and in predictable vein!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Another excellent rebuttal which addresses the points raised, have a cookie.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"