Eunan's International Career

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Eunan's International Career

Post by Gullscorer »

http://www.torquayunited.com/page/News/ ... l#continue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder how long it will be before he plays for the full Irish international team. Hopefully before he leaves the Gulls. This guy's worth a million. And if he's worth that much, so are a few other United players! The way things are going, chances are the coming season will be even better than the last two for Torquay. :-D .
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

And here are the teams for yesterday's game:

IRELAND: I. McLoughlin (MK Dons); J. Egan (Sunderland), S. Duffy (Everton), N. Canavan (Scunthorpe United), G. Cunningham (Manchester City) - capt; J. Hendrick (Derby County), R. Towell (Unattached), E. O'Kane (Torquay United); R. Brady (Manchester United), R. Murphy (Unattached), A. White (Leeds United).

Subs: A. McCarey (Wolves) for McLoughlin (59 mins), J. Collins (Shrewsbury Town) for Murphy (89 mins).

ITALY: F. Bradi (Livorno); D. Santon (Newcastle United), M. Capuano (Pescara), L. Caldirola (Brescia), A. Crescenzi (Bari); A. Florenzi (Crotone), M. Verratti (Pescara), L. Marrone (Juventus), L. Insigne (Pescara); M. Destro (Siena), C. Immobile (Pescara).

Subs: A. Paloschi (Chievo) for Destro (73 mins), S. El Shaarawy (AC Milan) for Immobile (85 mins) S. Romagnoli (Pescara) for Paloschi (90 mins).

Playing with and against players from illustrious clubs in a creditable performance can only enhance his prospects.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Santon, El Shaarawy and Paloschi are all top end Serie A prospects, as you say, being on the same field as that quality of player must really help a young lad like Eunan.
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

If he needs any inspiration he need look no further than Mark Kinsella who was ever present for the Republic of Ireland in the 2002 World Cup after playing for Colchester in the Conference ten years earlier.

If he does play for Ireland in Qatar in 2022, I will make every effort to get there to see him do it.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Accepting that Eunan is probably a stand out talent (assuming that isn't too Billy Big Balls), would it be worth us having a look at the two unattached lads?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Eunan should have stuck with Northern Ireland, he would have been guaranteed a place they are THAT bad! He would have been their star player.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

Proud to have such a quality and promising player at our club. Desent lad too. Hope when (not yet I hope) he does leave us he'l go far, and Il too definatly catch an ROI match if he does make it
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:Accepting that Eunan is probably a stand out talent (assuming that isn't too Billy Big Balls), would it be worth us having a look at the two unattached lads?

Matt.
They're probably already destined for bigger clubs. But I wouldn't worry; ML seems to have a knack for finding diamonds, even rough ones, in obscure places.
ROIGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Gary Nelson

Post by ROIGull »

As long as Trappatonni is Manager He does'nt hold ANY chance (at least for the next two years). The guy does'nt even go on scouting missions - it's all VHS material! Plays a 442 formation - back to front and bypasses the mid's (ala Jack Charlton). Maybe when Chris Houghton becomes manager He'll get his chance.

Not one for being political but there should be a united Ireland team and not the North, South divide here. The North could actually have a decent squad if players committed to their cause rather than the Republic's. Take a leaf out of the Rugby game and football could learn a hell of alot!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Admin Edit: Content Removed (SG)

I'm not sure why, all I said was...

If that's how you feel ROI, I suggest a series of talks between our respective governments, culminating in the IRA laying down their arms and the British government embracing Sinn Fein and Jerry Adams as the genuine, honest and peace loving political instruments they have always been.

Matt.

Admin Reply: If that WAS what you'd written the contents wouldn't have been removed, as you well know.
Last edited by ferrarilover on 06 Jun 2012, 17:56, edited 2 times in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ROIGull has a point. Why shouldn't the whole island of Ireland be represented by a single football team? The only reason it's not is because of politics and the history of sections of the population having opposing views.

Or, while we're at it, how about all the islands in the British Isles being represented by one team. (Okay, maybe not practicable).

Alternatively, let each different population group have their own team, and players decide with their feet which team to play for. Those teams with little support will wither away naturally into insignificance..
Last edited by Gullscorer on 07 Jun 2012, 01:44, edited 3 times in total.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

ferrarilover wrote:Admin Edit: Content Removed (SG)

I'm not sure why, all I said was...

If that's how you feel ROI, I suggest a series of talks between our respective governments, culminating in the IRA laying down their arms and the British government embracing Sinn Fein and Jerry Adams as the genuine, honest and peace loving political instruments they have always been.

Matt.
Matt, I'm not sure why you think the IRA and Sinn Fein have any relevance here. Surely you're not implying that everybody who believes that one team should represent the whole of Ireland in sport, or anybody who believes that there should be a united Ireland in a political sense, is each and every one not genuine, honest and peace-loving?

There are indeed people with such views (and with opposing views) who would not dream of resorting to arms and violence. And Gandhi himself achieved far more through peaceful non-violent passive resistance..
ROIGull
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: Gary Nelson

Post by ROIGull »

A genuine thanks for having to state the obvious Gullscorer - it's a pity that some people can't see the wood from the trees here!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

It's almost too much effort to bother explaining this, but I shall anyway. My original message was a home relating to an infamous bomb attack in London. It lasted all of 8 hours before enough of our members got their pretty pink panties in a bunch and PM'd admin and asked for it to be removed. As an amusing retort, I then made the above post, knowing it to be equally contentious, but absolutely unlikely to result in any complaints.

I have no strong feelings either way about Ireland, in politics or football. It's a delightful place full of delightful people and a curiously pretty language, but so far as devolution goes, as is always the way, democracy rules.

Matt.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

ROIGull wrote:
Not one for being political but there should be a united Ireland team and not the North, South divide here. The North could actually have a decent squad if players committed to their cause rather than the Republic's. Take a leaf out of the Rugby game and football could learn a hell of alot!
The individual FA's of Northern Ireland/Scotland/Wales/England will fight tooth and nail to keep autonomy for reasons of self interest.

In the eyes of FIFA, a "Country"/"Nation", in football terms, is recognised by having it's own FA/Leagues run separately from another FA/League.

I mean, Andorra and Faroe Islands for ffs. :@
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"