The Bookies Odds Thread

General chat about anything else goes here.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

shes gone off to york races today, picked out a horse in all 7 races and managed five winners, 10/1, 3/1, 3/1, 5/6 and 8 /1, hopefully she backed them all!
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bookies early prices seem to favour the millers

rotherham clear favourite
then fleetwood
gas oxford chesterfield
southend
wycombe
then us northampton argyle and bradford on 20s

barnet huge favourites for the drop
still keeping the faith
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

If you want to work out how fair the bookies' odds are, this post by RussJulieG (for which, acknowledgements) on the brfcforum site, explains how:

"OK, say, for example, I'm a bookie and I am laying odds on a horse race where there are three runners.

I determine that Horse #1 has an evens (50%) chance of winning; Horse #2 has a 1 in 3 chance of winning (33%); Horse #3 has a 1 in 6 chance of winning (17%). My odds would be:

Horse #1 = Evens
Horse #2 = 2-1
Horse #3 = 5-1

The percentages of 50, 33 and 17 percent all add up to 100%, so an entirely "fair" book.

But, I'm a bookie and I want to add a "house percentage" to make me a profit. I'm going to offer the following odds:

Horse #1 = 6-4 on = 60% chance of winning
Horse #2 = 7-4 = 36% chance of winning
Horse #3 = 4-1 = 20% chance of winning

That means the overall total is 116%, so my overround, or percentage above 100%, is 16%.

In other words, the odds I have given you on this race is 16% different from totally fair odds.

Using the odds given for winning League 2 next year, at the top of the post, I was able to calculate that the odds added up to 128%......which I thought particularly unfair.

Once you know how to calculate betting odds it relies on simple multiplication, division and percentages. It's fun to do now and again, just to check how fair the odds are that are being offered. Part of how bookies make money is relying on people not knowing whether they have been offered fair odds."

To find the better value odds, go to http://www.oddschecker.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, and/or Betfair.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 05 Jun 2012, 22:37, edited 2 times in total.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Good stuff Gullscorer. Why are we 20's anyway? The bookies can **** off with that one! I'm going for Germany to win EUROS as i back them every tournament regardless and although i think Holland will win it would just be my luck to bet on Holland and Germany win.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I'm getting on Greece to beat Poland today in EURO2012 at 10/3. £150 on that one to get me £500, job done and i can buy my new drum kit. :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Haha did an accumulator for every group game earlier. Put a quid on and if i have all 24 right I get £164m.

Would be nice.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Gullscorer wrote:If you want to work out how fair the bookies' odds are, this post by RussJulieG (for which, acknowledgements) on the brfcforum site, explains how
I'm bloody offended- I must have posted an explanation at least as good as this - probably better - at least 3 times on this damn forum!! And you go and get something from another website?
you have to be kidding me.
I don't know why I bother.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Bloody Greeks! I,m glad your economy has bombed!!! Arggggghhhhh!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I like the Greeks philosophy of going into a major tournament intent on playing like England. Boo hoo and bye bye money. :'(
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I know Andy. I wanted that £165m!!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

happytorq wrote: I'm bloody offended- I must have posted an explanation at least as good as this - probably better - at least 3 times on this damn forum!! And you go and get something from another website?
you have to be kidding me.
I don't know why I bother.
Don't doubt that you did happytorq, but how long ago was it, we must have forgotten, or newcomers to the forum perhaps not even read your stuff at all. Anyway, what's the odds on somebody posting the same thing again next year? :)
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Gullscorer wrote:Don't doubt that you did happytorq, but how long ago was it, we must have forgotten, or newcomers to the forum perhaps not even read your stuff at all. Anyway, what's the odds on somebody posting the same thing again next year? :)
Basically, it's all about my ego. Me, me, me! :)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
adinojones
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: mark ellls

Post by adinojones »

it's better to stick to a very experienced handicapper....you will get better bets and complementary tips also.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Gulls are 3/1 tomorrow with Leeds at 4/6. I know it's only a friendly but who in their right mind would part with any hard earned at only 3/1?!! We should be 6 at least.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Betting odds are awful now. They just offer terrible odds and mugs bet on it. 10 years ago, the odds would've been 2/1 for Leeds and around 8/1 for us. Odds on bets were solely for games where it was pretty much a guarantee that the team would win.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"