Bodin back to Torquay!!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Great policy from the club. The bigger lump of income from the sale of Bobby goes into the club (training facilities etc) and the sale of Ellis is given to the manager for re-investment. Win Win.

As said before - if had to pick between Ellis or Bodin then I am happy with this outcome and if Bodin develops as expected then we will re-coup and then some.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

£70k is also similar to the fees we've received for Robertson, Zebroski and Buckle in the last 12 months, so it's not too large a fee by comparison. I wouldn't value him at any less than Zebroski for example, and he has the potential to be a far greater player.

Billy would also give us another saleable asset for the future, to hopefully keep the cycle going.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agree pretty much with all todays replies, don't think anyone is trying to pretend Billy Bodin is the finished article, as said today he will improve us no doubt, he is already good enough to have an impact as a starter, or a game changer from the bench, he adds strenght as a wide player or a central striker.

What Billy Bodin would bring, is a player with stacks of potential, and as already said if he develops would in the future bring in another healthy transfer fee, at 19 and looking how he has already developed, I think this is a fairly low risk investment, and really hope it comes off now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I personally think £70k is a bit steep, but I am certain he will represent more value for money than the last player we had on loan who we shelled out for (where is Mr Constantine these days?)

Although I think there were cheaper, similar alternatives available, I'd be happy to see Bodin back in the side. He offered a natural balance that we were massively lacking once he left. Morris never quite filled that role comfortably.

If this comes off, I'd expect to see Morris spend more time covering O'Kane's role in the centre rather than spending time out wide. Gives us decent cover in a couple of positions.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Jeff wrote:I personally think £70k is a bit steep, but I am certain he will represent more value for money than the last player we had on loan who we shelled out for (where is Mr Constantine these days?)

Although I think there were cheaper, similar alternatives available, I'd be happy to see Bodin back in the side. He offered a natural balance that we were massively lacking once he left. Morris never quite filled that role comfortably.

If this comes off, I'd expect to see Morris spend more time covering O'Kane's role in the centre rather than spending time out wide. Gives us decent cover in a couple of positions.
We also now have Nathan Craig who might fit this role nicely. His preferred position is in central midfield.
TUST member 328
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

would be very happy to see Billy back in Yellow. I thought he did well for us, and clearly ML rates him highly. i'm not too bothered about the fee, if ML is willing to pay that, and feels Bodin is worth it, that's good enough for me. in the short term he'll be a big asset on the pitch, and in the long term, he's an investment. don't want to think about him leaving before he's even arrived, but just hope the club put a decent sized release clause in place in case it does happen.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Second bid confirmed by the man himself
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18672525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does not say it has been accepted but seems we are a lot closer than last week.
TUST member 328
nicktufc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Euuuuuuuunan

Post by nicktufc »

Have to say I'm very pleased by this news. I would never have broken the bank for him, and as other have said, it leaves us with all the Bobby money untouched, and a small amount of the Ellis cash left over. I think £80k would've been my limit, mainly because that is what we got for Mark.

Bodin has shown signs of class, and great quality, so it is a sensible move by the club as he is a promising player, and should develop further in the next 2/3 years, and his value should naturally increase. I'm sure he'll also have been buoyed by the way that we have developed and furthered the careers of both Ellis and Olejnik, and will be hoping for similar career progress combined with the promise of first team football may just swing it for us. I can't imagine Lingy would've spent so long tracking and bidding for Billy if the player wasn't at all interested in coming here.

Very shrewd and a morale boost for all supporters.......IF it comes off!
Spagull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Spagull »

For what it's worth, just spoke to the source I mentioned in my last post on Saturday who seems to have been spot on again. Billy is desperate to join Torquay, but he believes the 70k has been turned down as Swindon are holding out for the price they gave Lingy last week which is 75k. Wouldn't have thought this will ruin things if true but who knows. Think Billy's old man may be looking for a new club in the not to distant future too from what he says. Maybe there will be 2 Bodins working at TUFC in the future.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well if the difference in valuations between the two clubs is £5k and Billy Bodin does want to come here this should be a done deal,

Even a slight adjustment in the % on any sell clause should take care of the £5k difference.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Brez60gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Brez60gull »

If and hopefully when it happens then all will welcome him. It will give us the balance we need that was definately lacking after he returned to Swindon. He also scored a couple of good goals for us so is more of a threat than Morris was for last season.
5K if that is the difference should be paid and then welcome Billy into Yellow again.
Eirik
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Eifion Williams
Watches from: The sofa

Post by Eirik »

-Eirik-
Proud member of Torquay United Supporters Norway
https://www.facebook.com/groups/norwaygulls

TUST MEMBER - https://www.tust.co.uk/
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I would be very pleased if Bodin was back at TUFC, he's a class player with bags of talent and ML obviously thinks highly of him. 70k is a large amount for Bodin IMO, but I have every faith in Ling that he knows what he's doing and as the 70k bid is in, we might as add on the 5k if Swindon are demanding that 75k price.
Last edited by Colorado Gull on 02 Jul 2012, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

dannyrvtufc4life wrote:I would be very pleased if Bodin was back at TUFC, he's a class player with bags of talent and ML obviously thinks highly of him. 70k is a large amount for Bodin IMO, but I have every faith in Ling that he knows what he's doing and as the 70k bid is in, we might as add on the 5k is Swindon are demanding that 75k price.
Disagree; £5000 is £5000. It's about time the Gulls became tough negotiators, if they haven't already. £70k is quite enough, particularly if there's a sell-on clause, and is about what could be expected at a tribunal, taking everything into consideration..
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

You could argue that a signing like Bodin would put an extra 5k on turnover over the course of his contract.

I'd hate to miss out on him for the sake of that relatively small amount.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.