Bodin back to Torquay!!

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

AlexGulls wrote:Torquay United have had an increased bid for Swindon Town attacker Billy Bodin accepted by the League One club.

Last week Swindon rejected an offer from Torquay believed to be in the region of £40,000 for the 20-year-old Wales Under-21 player.

The clubs will not disclose the fee but Swindon will be entitled to a share if Bodin is sold on by Torquay.

Bodin is expected at Plainmoor on Wednesday to have a medical and agree personal terms.

"He had other clubs interested in him, but the two clubs have come to an agreement on a figure that both clubs feel is fair," Ling told BBC Sport.

"It's been an ongoing saga, but Billy's always been my number one target.

Billy Bodin
•Born 24 March 1992
•Played 44 senior matches, scoring eight goals
•Son of former Wales international Paul
"If Billy moves on to be the top quality player that I feel he will be Swindon will share in the profits of his future success."

Bodin has been at the County Ground since he was 12-years-old but was told by boss Paolo Di Canio that he could leave the County Ground after the club brought in Tommy Miller, Gary Roberts, Andy Williams and James Collins.

He scored five goals in 19 appearances during a loan spell at Plainmoor between August and January last season.

He was also on loan at Crewe earlier this year, and the League One side have also expressed an interest in signing him.

Torquay have money available after bringing in around £400,000 in transfer fees from the sales of goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik and centre-back Mark Ellis.

And Ling says with Eunan O'Kane rejecting a move to Crawley Town his squad for the forthcoming League Two campaign is almost complete.

"Billy strengthens our front three, playing on either wing, down the middle or the top end of our midfield.

"The flexibility within our squad with O'Kane staying and Bodin on board is massively good and better than it was last year.

"Eunan's said all along that he hasn't got a problem with Torquay, he wants to play for Torquay, but if the right offer comes along he will have to consider it.

"He didn't think that Crawley was the right move, I'm delighted by that, but I'm also apprehensive that we have the transfer window open until the end of August and I think the O'Kane situation will be ongoing.

"We just need a defender to fetch us up to a 24-man complete squad in my opinion."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18672525" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
24 includes McPhee and Macklin. Likely Macklin will stay as we cannot off load him but was McPhee not off on loan hopefully? Maybe he has indicated he will not move and is happy to see out his contact. Hope this is not the case.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I am not sure we are any stronger than last season, possibly weaker with Ellis being gone. Having said that the signings of Poke and Bodin are good ones.
The problem still remains that outside the first eleven we don't have anything capable of doing a job in the first team. Its a shame we cannot off load the likes of Mcphee,Macklin and Halpin for starters and sign say Zebroski in their place.
That would make the squad look a hell of a lot stronger.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Easton looks a better bet than McPhee to play centre mid. Bodin and Jarvis looks better than stevens and Morris in my opinion which then means Stevens and Morris as backup/squad players which makes us stronger overall.

Obviously we need a proven CB and hopefully Cruise turns out to be more an Ellis than a Leadbitter. Poke was as good as we could realistically get, replacing Bob is nigh on impossible.
Bearne1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Zebra

Post by Bearne1 »

Is there a glimour of optimism there Brucie?
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

It remains to be seen whether we will be stronger or weaker without Mark Ellis. Based on his signing's already i would back Lingy to take his time and relace quality with quality. A bench with Cruise, Morris, Easton, Craig and Jarvis looks infinitely stronger than last season's options. If Macklin delivers what he is promising on twitter he may become a viable option too (remains to be seen) and Yeoman and Halpin may well improve as has been expected of them for a while (again remains to be seen)

In any case, still no loan signings made, so lets assess the squad after 10 games, not before a ball has been kicked. I remain extremely optomistic.
Spagull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Spagull »

Agree, I think we need another up top maybe not a Zeb, but more of a Benyon type player to really make the squad look a better one than last season, and give the manager options.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

A sensible post brucie. I think it depends who we get in at the back before we can say whether we are weaker there, but at present you are right.

In goal, whilst maybe not as strong, Poke is still a very good keeper at this level.

Midfield, its as last season with one extra option in Easton, so Id say stronger.

Up top we have Howe, Jarvis and Bodin, which is stronger than Howe Bodin/Jarvis and Atieno.

I guess hes keeping some budget for later on, which is sensible
Sexy_Gulls
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Sexy_Gulls »

Not sure we will see another forward come in. Ling as so far preferred to trust those in teh squad, turning to the next in line if a player is injured or out of form. We have Howe/Jarvis as centre forward then Morris, Stevens and Bodin for the 2 wide slots. Macklin and Yeoman (Craig can play on the wing too, I think) in reserve. I'm happy with that, and I'm also happy with given Macklin a chance if a place in the team is available.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

i can't for the life of me see how anyone could claim we are worse off than we were a year ago.

Last year, from the squad that got us to Old Trafford, we "lost" : Branno, Zeb, Stanley, Tomlin, Robinson, Bevan.............and of course the management team (just throwing that in there because a year ago, we had no manager in place). We brought in ML, who in turn brought in Bobby, Saah, Atieno, Howe - we had barely heard of these players, and also in, Oastler on a permanent move following his loan, Morris, Rice and McPhee.

this year, we have lost : Bobby, Ellis, Atieno, Rowe Turner, and i'll even throw in Robertson as he was here a year ago. But looked who we've brought in - Poke, Bodin, Easton, Craig, Cruise, Jarvis, and all being well, Eunan will still be here come the start of the season. i am really expecting Macklin to step up to the plate in the same way Danny did this season just gone.

ok, yes we need to replace Ellis, no doubt about it, but he was on the bench at the start of the season, i'm not knocking him, he's done well, but for anyone to suggest we're worse off because he's gone despite who has come in, well that's just ridiculous. of course we need another centre back, ML knows and is addressing this, but all in all, we're much better off than we were a year ago.
Brady

I Wish I Was There
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Regiment wrote:i can't for the life of me see how anyone could claim we are worse off than we were a year ago.

Last year, from the squad that got us to Old Trafford, we "lost" : Branno, Zeb, Stanley, Tomlin, Robinson, Bevan.............and of course the management team (just throwing that in there because a year ago, we had no manager in place). We brought in Bobby, Saah, Atieno, Howe - we had barely heard of these players, and also in, Oastler on a permanent move following his loan, Morris, Rice and McPhee.

this year, we have lost : Bobby, Ellis, Atieno, Rowe Turner, and i'll even throw in Robertson as he was here a year ago. But looked who we've brought in - Poke, Bodin, Easton, Craig, Cruise, Jarvis, and all being well, Eunan will still be here come the start of the season. i am really expecting Macklin to step up to the plate in the same way Danny did this season just gone.

ok, yes we need to replace Ellis, no doubt about it, but he was on the bench at the start of the season, i'm not knocking him, he's done well, but for anyone to suggest we're worse off because he's gone despite who has come in, well that's just ridiculous. of course we need another centre back, ML knows and is addressing this, but all in all, we're much better off than we were a year ago.
Agree with pretty much all of this - and last season our biggest problem was probably a lack of strength from the bench. I think our starting XI, when fit, was a match for pretty much anybody. With the moves we've made this post-season, I'd suggest we're at least as strong from the start but it's on the bench where we've really improved.

I'm feeling really optimistic. Quick, brucie, remind me again why we suck.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Regiment
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Regiment »

oh yeah, and we've got Andrew Candy now. Club's best signing by a mile !!
Brady

I Wish I Was There
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Regiment wrote:oh yeah, and we've got Andrew Candy now. Club's best signing by a mile !!
Yes, but where's his boots? :~D
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

Over the moon with this signing, definitely looking forward to next season! :)
The gulls are going up
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

All in all a very promising season ahead I think. Great signings and shrewd business all round. I remember years ago on the previous incarnation of this forum all the doom and gloom going around as we bumped along in the basement of the 4th division. How refreshing to look forward with justifiable optimism to the new season. Bodin will do us proud I'm sure. Upwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Oblivion!!!!
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Another Oxfordshire clap to second that!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.