Lee Hughes

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

"There for the grace of God go I"

Driving through our village the other day, my youngest lad told me to slow down....I looked and was surprised to see I was going 45 in a 30 mile zone........

....it would be bad enough to kill someone driving to the law, but how would I, or you, feel if you killed some child in your own village knowing you were going 45 mph, 50% above the speed limit?

My best guess is, many of you who slam Hughes have done similar yourself....is that crime as bad?

A few years back a family member was killed by a drunk driver yet I still drove outside the law that day......that was as much pre-medidated as Hughes or McCormick in my opinion....I was just lucky.......
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Exactly. How many of us drink the night before we drive? The alcohol is still in your system. If you had an accident and killed someone you would be in McCormick shoes.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

MidDevon wrote:"There for the grace of God go I"

Driving through our village the other day, my youngest lad told me to slow down....I looked and was surprised to see I was going 45 in a 30 mile zone........

....it would be bad enough to kill someone driving to the law, but how would I, or you, feel if you killed some child in your own village knowing you were going 45 mph, 50% above the speed limit?

My best guess is, many of you who slam Hughes have done similar yourself....is that crime as bad?

A few years back a family member was killed by a drunk driver yet I still drove outside the law that day......that was as much pre-medidated as Hughes or McCormick in my opinion....I was just lucky.......
No you weren't lucky. You were criminally negligent. So you've done similar yourself? You should be ashamed. The law is there for a reason. If you disregard it, you deserve everything you get. Though that may be small comfort to your victims..
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

We've covered all the angles on this on the new goalkeeper thread. Some people believe that someone who makes a mistake deserves a second chance, some dont. Some people think that causing an unintentional accident is unlucky, some don't.

Neither opinion is categorically right or wrong, otherwise
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Kernowgull »

Otherwise opinion wouldnt be so divided.
wodger of awabia
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Carol Vorderman..eh?

Post by wodger of awabia »

Gullscorer wrote: No you weren't lucky. You were criminally negligent. So you've done similar yourself? You should be ashamed. The law is there for a reason. If you disregard it, you deserve everything you get. Though that may be small comfort to your victims..
Forwarded to Jeremy Clarkson for his observations!
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

Gullscorer, I should just clarify that I do not drink drive myself and never have. The point I was making is that the vast majority of the population speed and do so constantly. Just drive along the road opposite Sainsburys and you will find almost all the traffic is above the speed limit. In fact if you and another car drove at the speed limit side by side down the dual carridgeway you would have a massive traffic jam behind you.

The vast majority of us speed intentionally, yet I very much doubt anyone involved in a fatal accident today, this week or this year will ever have intended to kill anyone

and that is what I meant by "There for the Grace of God go I"
Spagull
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Spagull »

An incredible statement that has got my blood boiling, especially if you have lost a family member to a drunk/drug driver as I also have. Your lack of concentration and one off speeding within a 30 zone ( you said you were suprised by your speed ) is not premeditated

So how can it be as premeditated as Hughes, who snorted lines of crack and knecked spirits (allegedly), before deciding to go get in his £100 grand merc and drive through a village on the wrong side of the road at twice the speed limit. After the crash which killed the father of 3 and crippled the other man for life, he then made the decision to go on the run for 36 hours.

If Hughes had picked up a gun or a knife and done what he did, im sure you would be saying throw away the key, because it was with a car its somehow not quite as bad, tell that to the familys involved. The law is an ass, and to answer your question NO, speeding through lack of concentration is not as bad as what that scumbag did, and its bloody rediculous to suggest it is. :@
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Lee Hughes? NO. And that's all.
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

chippygull wrote:Lee Hughes? NO. And that's all.
End of thread.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

It's not SO much that he knowingly got behind the wheel of his car, whilst under the influence of DRINK & DRUGS, but the fact that he fled the sceen, of the accident, and came forward several hours later, rendering it impossible for the police to prove that he was over the limit/drugged up, at the time of the incident.

NO WAY do I want him anywhere near MY club!!!
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

Well we all seem United on one thing, I do not want to him in a Torquay shirt either
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

let's not bother having threads anymore. Let's just go back to the old Mervo style of board because it seems as though most of the topics seems to descend into pretty much the same discussion anyway
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Spagull wrote: An incredible statement that has got my blood boiling, especially if you have lost a family member to a drunk/drug driver as I also have. Your lack of concentration and one off speeding within a 30 zone ( you said you were suprised by your speed ) is not premeditated

So how can it be as premeditated as Hughes, who snorted lines of crack and knecked spirits (allegedly), before deciding to go get in his £100 grand merc and drive through a village on the wrong side of the road at twice the speed limit. After the crash which killed the father of 3 and crippled the other man for life, he then made the decision to go on the run for 36 hours.

If Hughes had picked up a gun or a knife and done what he did, im sure you would be saying throw away the key, because it was with a car its somehow not quite as bad, tell that to the familys involved. The law is an ass, and to answer your question NO, speeding through lack of concentration is not as bad as what that scumbag did, and its bloody rediculous to suggest it is. :@

Lines of crack? That would be a first.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

happytorq wrote:let's not bother having threads anymore. Let's just go back to the old Mervo style of board because it seems as though most of the topics seems to descend into pretty much the same discussion anyway
That's what a thread is for...discussion. This thread is titled Lee Hughes. That's what we are discussing.
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."