Your starting 11

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Poke

Oastler
Saah
Downes - so impressed with him last night - won't miss Ellis if that was anything to go by
Nicholson

Lathrope
Mansell
Bodin (EoK role)

Macklin
Stevens

Howe
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

------------------------Poke------------------------------

-----Oastler-----Saah-----Downes-----Nicholson-----

--Macklin----Easton----Mansell----Morris----Bodin--

-----------------------Howe--------------------------------

Subs: Rice, Cruise, Lathrope, Craig, Stevens, Jarvis, Thompson.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote:There is no way Easton will start in front of Lathrope so I wouldn't worry too much about that andy.

Poke was competent last time he was here no question, be interesting to see what he's like now on the back of a few injuries and a setback at Brighton. bit like most of our signings, question marks but to be honest those are the gambles we have to take. Worked last year, lets hope it works this year as well.
Ahh - because you say so? Ok then!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Yep. Lathrope played nigh on every game for us and we got to the playoffs. He's not going to be dropped any time soon and nor should he on the back of a couple of meaningless friendly games.

If some of these sides were selected I'd give up any remaining hope right now.
bc-gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Pearce

Post by bc-gull »

poke
oastler saah downes nicholson
easton bodin mansell
macklin stevens
howe
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Andy, Easton looks like a better bet than Lathrope. He is considerably better going forward without being less good at the back. I reckon, if he plays, he'll chip in with (maybe) 5 goals. He is a wiley old fox and has the knack of being in the right place at the right time, which is his asset at the back.

Aside from Royal's ever more bizarre and disjointed reasoning for who will and will not play, I think it would be a mistake for Dinger to cling too tightly to the team from last year based on the success we had. We can be better than we were lastyear, but we won't be if nothing changes. Its not like we're Crewe and we played a team of kids who now have a years extra experience, the players themselves aren't going to improve to any real extent and certainly not more than any other players from any other squad. All we can do is bring in better players and employ better tactics involving them.

For me, we can minimise the loss of Eunan by utilising NC and we can improve all round by replacing Stevens with Macklin, Morris with Bodin. Downer for Mark seems a push and Pokey for Bobby is a negative which is A) unavoidable and B) hopefully negated by a much toned Rene (who is an exception to my earlier rule).

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheers Matt, pretty much how i would have seen it. Lathrope was sensational last season but he does only offer that break things up / lay things off option. No goals or no assists. Don't get me wrong, Damon was super efficient and effective at the job last season but If Easton can do that AND more then i'd be happy to see him in the team obviously. I think Downes for Ellis is a straight swop in terms of experience and ability. Bobby is the real loss but hopefully Pokey can grab his second chance.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

As someone who has suggested keeping faith in the majority of last season's team, I would like to make it clear it's for the start of the season only. We should give them the chance to prove their worth instead of unceremoniously dumping hem on the bench. Really we should all be rejoicing in the increased options in the squad this year, this is not a thread we would be discussing at this point last season.

I will back Lingy with whatever combination he chooses, I don't think there is an outright wrong answer. Its a long season and the entire squad will be used at one time or another, let's just hope they are all ready and confident when needed. I would start with Damon, Manse and Billy against Fleetwood in the centre, you then have Easton to replace Lathrope if he tires, and Craig to replace one of the tiring wingers with Billy moving out wide. Versatile squad, strong squad.

Poke, Joe, Saah, Downes, Nico, Macklin, Lathrope, Mansell, Bodin, Stevens, Howe.

That's how I would like to see us starting, but I don't think Lloyd will make the cut. Done so well in pre-season but last year won't be forgotten and how he reacts to a place on the bench could well be his final test of character.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I'd have Jarvo in ahead of Stevens ben and Morris for Macklin, bring Lloyd on as an impact sub but the rest is spot on.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Agreed. No matter how good Lloyd was supposedly against Exeter it would be a kick in the face to Danny if he is dropped instantly considering he had his best season in a Torq shirt last season. It's up to Macklin to prove in league games he is an able member of the first 11.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

Beauty of a fans forum mate, all differing opinions, would be perfectly happy to see both Morris and Jarvis starting, wouldn't be worried at all, performed great during that great night at he Don Valley last year! To me, they are all strong options.

You probably think we're all a bit mental talking Macklin up to be the flying winger wonder kid, correct me if I'm wrong but you witnessed his second half 'cameo' at Bradford last season? Well he is a million miles removed from the player we saw that day, perform like he has done in pre-season and he will be one of Lingy's first names on the team sheet, he has looked scintillating since Lingy read him he riot act, a real asset and much needed (and missed last season) pace.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Andy, Easton looks like a better bet than Lathrope. He is considerably better going forward without being less good at the back. I reckon, if he plays, he'll chip in with (maybe) 5 goals. He is a wiley old fox and has the knack of being in the right place at the right time, which is his asset at the back.

Aside from Royal's ever more bizarre and disjointed reasoning for who will and will not play, I think it would be a mistake for Dinger to cling too tightly to the team from last year based on the success we had. We can be better than we were lastyear, but we won't be if nothing changes. Its not like we're Crewe and we played a team of kids who now have a years extra experience, the players themselves aren't going to improve to any real extent and certainly not more than any other players from any other squad. All we can do is bring in better players and employ better tactics involving them.

For me, we can minimise the loss of Eunan by utilising NC and we can improve all round by replacing Stevens with Macklin, Morris with Bodin. Downer for Mark seems a push and Pokey for Bobby is a negative which is A) unavoidable and B) hopefully negated by a much toned Rene (who is an exception to my earlier rule).

Matt.
Whats bizarre is wanting to replace players that were very good for us last season over 48 competitve league games for blokes that have done ok in a couple offriendlies. Thankfully there is no chance in hell of it happening.

Craig won't be used from the start, he's a young lad with ZERO minutes of first team football under his belt, he'll be introduced to things slowly over the course of the season if they think he's good enough, to have him as a direct replacement for arguably the best creative midfield player in the league last year is laughable. Playing against a half arsed Leeds side where tackling is an after thought is completely different to a proper league game. Same for Macklin, I like Lloyd as a player mainly because he reminds me of an early Carayol who could develop a similar way but he's nowhere near the finished product. Stevens scored 10 goals for us last season and over the course of it probably had his most consistent season in his time here. There is no way he should be dropped either especially not for a player that 3 weeks ago was 100% going out the door. Macklin still has loads to do to get a starting spot, he should be sub and he should be used against tiring legs with 20/25mins to go.

The likes of Lathrope, Stevens, Morris all deserve the first crack at it in the side. They are all experienced, proven players in this league who did well for us last year to want to replace them with unproven kids on the back of a few meaningless matches is like i say, mental.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

royalgull wrote: Whats bizarre is wanting to replace players that were very good for us last season over 48 competitve league games for blokes that have done ok in a couple offriendlies. Thankfully there is no chance in hell of it happening.

Craig won't be used from the start, he's a young lad with ZERO minutes of first team football under his belt, he'll be introduced to things slowly over the course of the season if they think he's good enough, to have him as a direct replacement for arguably the best creative midfield player in the league last year is laughable. Playing against a half arsed Leeds side where tackling is an after thought is completely different to a proper league game. Same for Macklin, I like Lloyd as a player mainly because he reminds me of an early Carayol who could develop a similar way but he's nowhere near the finished product. Stevens scored 10 goals for us last season and over the course of it probably had his most consistent season in his time here. There is no way he should be dropped either especially not for a player that 3 weeks ago was 100% going out the door. Macklin still has loads to do to get a starting spot, he should be sub and he should be used against tiring legs with 20/25mins to go.

The likes of Lathrope, Stevens, Morris all deserve the first crack at it in the side. They are all experienced, proven players in this league who did well for us last year to want to replace them with unproven kids on the back of a few meaningless matches is like i say, mental.
Gonna look a mug if it does royal! Easton has played and proven himself to Ling before so the decision will not solely be based on this pre-season.

Go on then - put your staring 11 down (with Bodin available). Lets see how you see it.

What is great is last year we would pretty much all agree on the 11 and this year we do not which means the squad has far more options.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by royalgull »

I already have.

Poke

Oastler
Downes
Saah
Nicho

Damon

Manse
Morris

Stevens
Bodin

Howe

Subs Rice, Jarvis, Easton, Cruise, Macklin, Craig, Mackenzie

Easton would have the best chance of starting but it wouldn't be in place of Lathrope, he might play alongside Manse possibly.

Far more options, other than Easton all these players we are debating for midfield roles were here last year. Instead of Easton we had O'Kane, I know who I'd rather have.

If we can be around midtable this year it's another good season.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i think the back five picks itself again this season

so

poke
oastler downes saah nico

the other six, you'd have to say manse and rene are definite starters so its the missing four where st martin will have to earn his corn

it looks a really good squad now, we got a wealth of midfield and attack minded players to pick from this season

my choices assuming its a 451ish that we'll be using will be bodin, easton, stevens and lathrope

plenty of scope to switch things around as the game progresses

i, for one, am really looking forward to the new season

come on you yellows!!
still keeping the faith