Help from Gulls exiled abroad.......

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

As opposed to typing 'not a chance', which is the internationally recognised standard of evidence required on the internet.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

Southampton - Yes you can reverse your jailbreaking simply by doing a full restore on iTunes. However, this is not always successful. I see about 5 phones a week that are buggered when trying to do exactly that. We offer a really good value swap out service for iPhones, but this is withdrawn on evidence of jailbreaking, or any other tampering.

Just to reiterate, I'm not saying don't do it, there are obvious advantages. I'm just saying be aware of the possible consequences...
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

I get what you're saying rob, but there are many ways of reviving a "dead" iPhone and if you're seeing as many as 5 a week then it just goes to show how easily some people give up these days ;-) Incidentally, have you heard any news about a likely release date for the 5?

Matt, I'd happily spend an hour telling you exactly why the iPhone is better than anything Samsung can put together but in all probability it would go right over your head, the iPhone seriously has no peers at the moment. I'm glad you're pleased with your S3 but that says something in itself and kind of proves my point.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Oh dear. I don't want to get into a Willy waving contest over phones, but on this occasion, I can't help myself!

I don't disagree with much of what you say Dave, but the iPhone having no peers is complete nonsense! The s3 blows it out of the water in all regards, even a jail broken one.

The screen quality difference is the only thing Apple are marginally better with, but it's size lets it down big time.

I would have thought you'd have discarded Apple ages ago as anyone who likes to hack their phone (as you obviously do, having a jail broken one) can surely see open source Android as the place to be.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Nothing wrong with the Android platform but a Jailbroken iPhone gives you so much more flexibility. Size of the screen isn't an issue for me but on that subject the resolution and ppi of the S3 is inferior to the iPhone. I can SSH into mine and change whatever settings I want, I'm not bound by any of the apple restrictions (my chief gripe with them) and there are also far more instances of virus and malware infections on the Android than Apple. It's a no-brainer for me..............at the moment. As soon as I find a phone that beats the iPhone I'll be getting it, the S3 isn't that phone.
Dave

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Southampton Gull wrote:Nothing wrong with the Android platform but a Jailbroken iPhone gives you so much more flexibility. Size of the screen isn't an issue for me but on that subject the resolution and ppi of the S3 is inferior to the iPhone. I can SSH into mine and change whatever settings I want, I'm not bound by any of the apple restrictions (my chief gripe with them) and there are also far more instances of virus and malware infections on the Android than Apple. It's a no-brainer for me..............at the moment. As soon as I find a phone that beats the iPhone I'll be getting it, the S3 isn't that phone.
I ran this post through Google translate and it came back telling me that it doesn't yet translate "nerd speak"....

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by SteveDeckchair »

I agree resolution of the iPhone is better, but that's it I'm afraid Dave. The fact you have to jail break your phone to get comparable software and capabilities as a stock Android says it all for me.

We'll have to agree to disagree and when you eventually give in and go droid, you'll agree I was right and wonder why it took you so long. :na:

Can't believe I agree with Matt! :lol:
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Scott's probably still got a monochrome Nokia! He he. Bit backwards these French.....
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

What's a mobile? I always thought it was one of those things that hung from the ceiling above a cot to help the baby get to sleep.

STIP
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

So, my stock S3 is beaten only by a Jailbroken 4S? If I buy a Corsa and stick a jet engine in the back, is it a better car than a stock Ferrari? I think not. Lb for Lb, the S3 is a million miles ahead of the iPhone, and I speak not as someone who can recite all the relevant statistics, but as someone who has used both and has no axe to grind with either company. Yes, the 4S is a lovely thing, and miles in advance of the 4210 that I started with, but the S3 is better in just about every conceivable way, straight out of the box.

Anyway, back on topic...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

SteveDeckchair wrote:I agree resolution of the iPhone is better, but that's it I'm afraid Dave. The fact you have to jail break your phone to get comparable software and capabilities as a stock Android says it all for me.

We'll have to agree to disagree and when you eventually give in and go droid, you'll agree I was right and wonder why it took you so long. :na:

Can't believe I agree with Matt! :lol:

The fact you agree with Matt should instantly tell you how wrong you are ;-) Resolution, video capture, better camera, twice the storage space, not having to carry the bricklike S3 (if I wanted a bigger device I'd just use a laptop) 3 times the number of available apps, Android OS is slower than iOS by simple design, S-Voice is useless compared to Siri in terms of speed of launch and clarity and I've not heard of any iPhones blowing up have you? Samsung are investigating a number of S3's doing just that ;-)

Like I've already said, when an Android phone can seriously rival an iPhone I'll be more than happy to get rid of the Apple, it just ain't happening yet.
Dave

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

No Matt, it isn't. However it would appear that you mugs who've chosen an S3 like a big thing in your hand as an obvious substitute for something else lacking in size :)
Dave

cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I can sit in a pub and be transfered a song by a fellow android user whenever I like.

I can use anything flash based.

I can use my phone as an external hard drive.

I don't have or have had a cracked screen, like most (and I mean the majority) of my iPhone using friends.

I don't have to sign up for an overpriced contract, just because its an iPhone.

My HTC Desire S was perfectly capable of taking good pictures on my recent trip to the Lake District.

The speakers are vastly better than an iPhone's.

Dolphin Browser is a billion times better than Safari.

I can use Go Launcher and design my phone in exactly the way I like it.

Shall I go on?
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Please do :)

HTC :rofl:
Dave

Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Scott Brehaut »

You can get dolphin browser for the iPhone.

Right that's my amazing contribution over with....

STIP