Torquay United v Plymouth Argyle, 8th September 2012.

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by bengull »

A keenly fought contest, but ultimately a very frustrating afternoon if you are a Gulls fan. First half wasn't exactly one way traffic but we did have the better of the proceedings, Danny looked very dangerous on his comeback and linked well with Bodin and Howe in particular. We just couldn't quite create an opportunity for a well executed shot and instead relied on a couple of miss-hit attempts or shots through a crowded box as our best opportunities. Bodin and Ian Morris both bringing decent saves from Jake Cole. Argyle showed very little footballing prowess and from the off seemed more content in hacking our players to the floor, bit disappointed that we didn't take advantage of the fact they had two men on cautions from the first ten minutes onwards.

We were so dominant with the ball on the floor that Argyle resorted to long ball very early on in the match. This wouldn't be too much of the problem normally as Downsey and Saah had the two strikers under control, but the referee intervened (as was to become a recurring theme throughout the day more and more scandalously) and started creating free kicks when there weren't any. If he really is a premiership referee then god help us, he was not aided by his linesmen at any point, who were told to agree with whatever the referee suggested, and on the occasions the the referee needed assistance, raise the flag in the opposite direction. In addition to this, the triumvirate turned a blind eye to blatant Argyle timewasting throughout the match, I would imagine we will be scoring the referee the lowest possible pass.

2nd half I was really expecting us to build on our decent start and turn the screw like we do so many times shooting towards the family stand, sadly it never really materialised. Argyle got a foot hold in the match and started creating pressure of their own. Every time we built an attack, Rene Howe was penalised (again a recurring theme) and Argyle counter attacked, after a few dodgy moments in recent weeks it is a great plus to heap praise on Michael Poke who not only made one or two excellent, crucial saves but also caught the ball numerous times under strong green pressure.

And for all the pressure I still fancied us to nick it. We should have taken the lead midwa through the second half when a pin point Nico corner looked like it was going to be met at full steam by Morris, I am unsure whether he took his eye off it, or was worried about getting clattered, but his eventual attempt was a glance wide, instead of what looked to be a straightforward header in.

Nial Thompson came on for a knackered Danny Stevens and with his first touch absolutely left the left-back for dead, sadly he did not get another chance to stretch his legs with him thereafter. Jarvis came on for Morris as Torquay switched to 442 in search of the elusive winner, this is an avenue I would like to see exploited further when in need of a goal. Jarvis made a nuisance of himself but you can't expect miracles from someone given so little pitch time and the link up just wasn't quite there. Despite the last 5 minutes being sustained pressure for Torquay we just could not create the opportunity needed and the most disappointing conclusion of the day is that we did not test Jake Cole once in the second half.

4 draws and a solitary win doesn't sound great but you can see we are still a work in progress, and still relying on younger members of our squad, thought Nial looked a little fazed by the occasion when he came on but that is no real criticism of him, he is still a big threat, and a massive prospect. Without wanting to sound like a broken record, we are having to cope in the face of a mini injury crisis, and once we get bodies back we should be in a better position to evaluate where we are. Got to start winning soon though before it becomes an albatross round our neck, no easy task with Rotherham, Burton and Chesterfield all on our horizon.

Poke 9, some assured handling and important saves including one excellent one in second half.
Oastler 7. Consistently good and at ease as a league two full-back.
Saah and Downes 8. Commanding both in air and on ground.
Nico 7. Difficult spell in second half when Danny couldn't go any further, excellent attacking threat offered throughout.

Craig 7. Don't think he gave the ball away in the first half hour, very tidy positive passing, scrapped well in the midfield.
Morris 7. Didn't do too much wrong in order to get subbed, always offers him himself as an option, becoming increasingly box to box.
Mansell 7. Gets everyone to raise their game, revelled in the big game derby environment.

Stevens 7. A constant threat in the first half, good to see him back, tired badly in second as expected.
Bodin 6. Spends long periods of the game on the periphery of the action, looked like he might make a difference in the last 10 minutes but couldn't fashion space for a shot.
Howe 7. Tireless and selfless as per usual, sadly he is a target for whistle happy refs (perhaps based on prior reputation) and so his threat is negated before he gets the chance to show what we know he can do.

A big well done to the singers on the popside, very positive pro- TUFC songs throughout, may have got more people joining in had we scored early. Very loud at times, keep it going.

Attendance slightly under 5000 when it looked for the all the world to be way, way over that.
coley in stripes
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by coley in stripes »

Here we go again..I abandoned the site at the end of the last season due to constant insults and abuse while giving my own opinion. The fact is that we are dropping unnessesary points, not every one can ignore it and think that the sun shines out of the whole team's ars* holes...
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

yellowmonkey wrote: you really are a class 1 pri** was you bullied at school or you just feel hard on a keyboard. knobhead
You obviously know nothing about Torquay, yellowmonkey. Kernow is right, we never had mediocre seasons. We're always fighting for promotion or scrapping with relegation every May. Even when we were clear of relegation at the end a few seasons back, we then went on an epic unbeaten run where we didn't let in a goal for nearly 1000 minutes. We NEVER have mediocre seasons. Infact, the last time that we were genuinely mid-table goes right the way back to 1994-1995. We've had a couple 9th place finishes but they involved play-off chases.

Also, Kernow is completely correct in the final part of his post. You are obviously a moron. Either that or inbred, at least then your stupidity, lack of ability with the English language and terrible use of grammar could be put down to genetics.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

**** ing crazy. Should have been 5 up at half time but for bloody blocks. Argyle giving it all the bollocks about the second half, but it's not hard to be the better side when, every time you give away the ball, the bloody referee finds some way to give it back.
The best team got well mugged today by relegation fodder Argyle admirably assisted by a prat in red who had clearly been handed a brown envelope full of used notes at half time.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Argyle were absolutely awful in the first half. Second half they made more of a fight, created some chances and had us on the back foot. Couldn't break through their 6 defenders.

Special mention to Mr East, who did absolutely nothing to change my opinion of him. Atrocious referee.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

cambgull wrote: You obviously know nothing about Torquay, yellowmonkey. Kernow is right, we never had mediocre seasons. We're always fighting for promotion or scrapping with relegation every May. Even when we were clear of relegation at the end a few seasons back, we then went on an epic unbeaten run where we didn't let in a goal for nearly 1000 minutes. We NEVER have mediocre seasons. Infact, the last time that we were genuinely mid-table goes right the way back to 1994-1995. We've had a couple 9th place finishes but they involved play-off chases.

Also, Kernow is completely correct in the final part of his post. You are obviously a moron. Either that or inbred, at least then your stupidity, lack of ability with the English language and terrible use of grammar could be put down to genetics.
If Carlsberg did replies...

Well done Camb, Monkey, you're a clown. Feel free to stick around etc, but pay more attention.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

yellowmonkey wrote: you really are a class 1 pri** was you bullied at school or you just feel hard on a keyboard. knobhead
Sorry matey boy. YOU are the knobhead. "Another mediocre season", what planet are you on? I think we fell out on here at the end of last season, and we will obviously do that again. Idiot.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper

Post by divingbboy »

Not much to add to what's already been said but, crikey, what the bloody hell happened to the ref in the 2nd half? He was missing blatant Argyle fouls and awarding free kicks that, well, just weren't free kicks in a million years. It was bizarre. He even missed an Argyle handball that happened right in front of his face. Absolutely dreadful officiating.
Last edited by divingbboy on 08 Sep 2012, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 203
bengull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by bengull »

Also forgot to add..... Had the misfortune of listening to Radio Devon on the way back. Just change their name to Radio Plymouth and be done with it. TUFC still treated with utter disdain and a complete afterthought. I would be better off asking my nan for analysis of the match instead of Gordon Sparks. She wouldn't have a clue either but atleast i wouldn't want to punch her in the face.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

gullintwoplaces wrote: Sorry matey boy. YOU are the knobhead. "Another mediocre season", what planet are you on? I think we fell out on here at the end of last season, and we will obviously do that again. Idiot.
I wouldnt call a play-off final and play-off semis in the passed to seasons 'mediocre'!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Anyone got any photo's of the match and the bench in particular? I reckon it must have been full in there? I'm not going to the Burton home game but instead will be going to the Aldershot night game the week after as i'm down in Devon for a short break with family. I was thinking of going in the bench to try it out unless you singers need me in the pop!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper

Post by divingbboy »

One amusing moment from this afternoon: we were sitting behind Martin Ling. They're getting ready to bring on Niall Thompson. A voice (loud and chippy) from two rows behind me: "Oi! Lingy!!! Bloody well sort it out! Come on!!!". Ling wheels around and looks at the miscreant with a complete 'WTF? You moron' look on his face, and points at Thompson. Miscreant quickly changes his tune: "Alright, Martin? Yeah, nice one, mate!!"
TUST member 203
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

divingbboy wrote:One amusing moment from this afternoon: we were sitting behind Martin Ling. They're getting ready to bring on Niall Thompson. A voice (loud and chippy) from two rows behind me: "Oi! Lingy!!! Bloody well sort it out! Come on!!!". Ling wheels around and looks at the miscreant with a complete 'WTF? You moron' look on his face, and points at Thompson. Miscreant quickly changes his tune: "Alright, Martin? Yeah, nice one, mate!!"
It was probably yellowmonkey.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Not a good performance today against a terrible Argyle side, however the abysmal referee didn't help! Gave everything to Plymouth and fell for their time wasting and diving. Really should have beaten them, but on the day, the result was fair.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Well said Bengull..its the reason why I cant stand Arg*** because of Sparkes and the rest of his sycophants.