Still in need of a forward, and I was disagreed with...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
TorquayBoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Still in need of a forward, and I was disagreed with...

Post by TorquayBoy »

Said a few weeks back that we don't have enough in terms of a forward line, when Howe isn't having his day who do we have? Jarvis? Jarvis looks less creative than maths teacher to be quite honest, so is there not a problem?
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

I don't think thats entirely fair on Jarvis. If jarvis was playing off a front man, I think you would get a lot more from him. He clearly is not the type of striker who can play the style of play that rene Howe does. I just think the system we play does not help him. That said i do agree that I think we need another striker. If rene Howe continues to collect yellow cards at the rate he is doing so, we are going to have issues when he starts picking up suspensions
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

A bit of both really. Like Mav says the system we play doesn't help Jarvis or others for that matter and if Howe is being shackled then it's up to to likes of Bodin ( who has been really disappointing imo so far ) to add the spark, guile and creativity. Thats not happened yet but we're still finding our feet with young Niall and Danny coming back in so we have to give it time. We need more though from Bodin. I do agree that we have needed a real decent predator for a few years now but obviously our budget prohibits us getting anyone of any real quality plus they will probably prefer to go elsewhere due to our geographical postiton. We just have to hope that one of the players Lingy takes a punt on really comes good and supports Howe in getting some goals. If we had such a player the second half of last season we WOULD have been promoted automatically IMO so i hope that history doesn't repeat itslef and our lack of goals doesn't stop us from gaining points that often our play merits.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Bodin has hardly been disappointing against Cheltenham and Rochdale. However Jarvis doesn't look like he will score if he stays there all season. Ling seems to have got it wrong by choosing him over Atieno.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Jesus, if everyone who said anything that turned out to be 'true' started a thread about it, this board would collapse under the weight of its own self importance.
We have scored a number of goals greater than or equal to all but two of the teams below us. Two of the teams above us have scored fewer than we have.
You are right, Jarvo increasingly seems NOT to be the answer. I'm not massively interested as to why this might be, it is an issue that perhaps could do with being sorted sooner rather than later.
I had rather hoped that Bodin (particularly) and a couple of others would have chipped in with a number of goals more accurately reflecting their talent, alas, these goals are yet to materialise.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

We had 16 shots yesterday, 7 on target, 9 off target. That does not strike me (no pun intented) as a team struggling to create chances.

You have to admit Howe was well marked by Purse yesterday who got the better of him for most of the match.

Mav makes a valid point, Howe's discipline is well known, indeed yesterday was his 3rd booking on a row so he will probably get his first suspension by the time October ends....and yet we do not appear to have a contingency plan in place for when he is out.
Quite simply at this level you need a player who can hold the ball up, and without Howe, I feel we would really stuggle to free up the likes of Stephens and Bodin to create this number of chances.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

ferrarilover wrote:Jesus, if everyone who said anything that turned out to be 'true' started a thread about it, this board would collapse under the weight of its own self importance.
We have scored a number of goals greater than or equal to all but two of the teams below us. Two of the teams above us have scored fewer than we have.
You are right, Jarvo increasingly seems NOT to be the answer. I'm not massively interested as to why this might be, it is an issue that perhaps could do with being sorted sooner rather than later.
I had rather hoped that Bodin (particularly) and a couple of others would have chipped in with a number of goals more accurately reflecting their talent, alas, these goals are yet to materialise.

Matt.
"I was right and you were ALL wrong. And this thread confirms that"
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

To be honest not sure the squad does need another striker at the moment, if we were to lose Howe/Jarvis for a period or either or both were to have a drastic loss of form, then I think it would be time for a top up via the loan market.

I wondered whether our team did have goals in it before the seasons start, then as said above look at Cheltenham and Rochdale home, bit stating the obvious but if Downes had not been sent off think there is little doubt we would have scored more goals in that game.

As alluded to already somethimes its the system, or sometimes the tempo you play at, yesterday thought Argyle defended very well, got a lot of blocks and tackles in.
Formerly known as forevertufc
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

OMG one game of not scoring and it's the end of the world. Before the game yesterday we scored 7 goals in three game. That's hardly struggling in front of goal. We are also not set up as a full blown attacking side hence Howe always on his own.
TorquayBoy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by TorquayBoy »

I didn't say we were struggling with the starting 11, like I said- the bench, itself, is weak in terms of forwards, Jarvis is a support striker, Howe is totally different. What I'm saying is, when Howe isnt there, who will be the one threatening to hit the net? You can't rely on wingers every game. Christ, stop with the patronising tone!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Yeah, but, Martin Ling has already said to expect a couple new faces on frees or loan, so I hardly think we need to be panicing. I dont think we can sign anyone at present because theres a window outside the full transfer window closing, but when that happens Im sure he wont let us down. I am very happy to wait for him to find the right players as he almost always has done. I also reckon we havent seen the best of Jarvis yet. I dont think hes here to sit on the bench the whole time.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

TorquayBoy wrote:I didn't say we were struggling with the starting 11, like I said- the bench, itself, is weak in terms of forwards, Jarvis is a support striker, Howe is totally different. What I'm saying is, when Howe isnt there, who will be the one threatening to hit the net? You can't rely on wingers every game. Christ, stop with the patronising tone!
I'm sorry, are we not behaving ourselves on YOUR forum?

Last year, we scored 63 League goals, of which 20 (31%) were scored by strikers. Rene was responsible for 19% of our total League goals, which is a chunk, but not so many that we would fall to pieces without him for a few games.
Yeah, it would be lovely to have a better option from the bench than Jarvis (who I really don't think is a fit here, not with the way we want to play) or a few more goals from the support players to cover in Ren's absence.

For me, Morris needs to get more goals. As does Bodin. Ideally, Stevens, and Macklin/Niall should be chipping in with a few too. I think once DL returns and NC is able to push further forward, he will get a few as well. We have all seen now just how well he strikes a ball, he should have no problem finding the net, especially from that mythical 18-25 yard range.

Matt.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Sorry Matt he obviously forgot its your forum !!
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

You're bloody right he did. It's not a mistake I recommend making twice. :~D

Matt.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i dont think we need panic yet, trust in dinger. howe will get as many as last season of that im sure