Torquay United v Burton Albion - 22/9/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Burton Albion - 22/9/12

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

The Brewers from the East Midlands are the visitors to Plainmoor on saturday and they are looking for their 3rd league win on the spin in what is an impressive start to the campaign from them. Manager Gary Rowett has moulded them into a solid unit with strength all over the park and they will be a difficult side to beat. Martin Ling showed us what can be done with a little bit of tweaking here and there as he sent his troops out onto the Wimbledon pitch with a positive gameplan on tuesday night and we duly gained a deserved first away win of the season at the fourth attempt. Bloody typical! I'd been to the other three! :@

Hopefully back in the familiar surroundings of Plainmoor and with the support from the Yellow army it may see us thrive on the confidence we got from that win and notch another 3 points onto the board. Certainly Burton won't come here for a picnic, with an away 4-2 cup win at Leicester City and a 0-0 draw at Coventry City in the second round they have proven they can compete with players at a higher level even given the fact that Leicester in particular played a much weakened team to the one that faced us. Their away LEAGUE form will give us confidence however as they have yet to obtain an away point. They lost 3-0 at Exshi*ter, 1-0 at Rochdale and were battered on the opening day 3-0 at Rotherham. So it this their home form, admittedly exceptional, which is keeping them up there. They have beaten Wimbledon 6-2, Oxford 4-0 and last time out beat York 3-1, their only defeat at home coming at the hands of Fleetwood 1-0.

Burton have added a few players to their squad over the summer including former Aberdeen defender Zander Diamond, i thought that was a species of fish?!. Diamond is an experienced pro and is joined by Northern Irishman Billy Weir who signed on the 31st of May from Sunderland on a 2 year deal. Ex-Crewe player Lee Bell also joined as did former Vale keeper Stuart Tomlinson. In addition they also have decent players like Congolese duo and leading scorers Jacques Maghoma and Calvin Zola, Justin Richards, Irish defensive enforcer John McGrath amongst others. They also have wor Billy too who made 44 appearances for the mighty Gulls and scored 9 times. Good one Bill!

They have gone 13 games since a no score draw and 12 games since a score draw so stats say there will probably be a winner but which way? Our way or no way!!!!! That's what! Their line up last time out at home to York:

1. Stuart Tomlinson (gk)
2. Zander Diamond
3. Anthony O'Connor (on loan from Blackburn Rovers)
4. Marcus Holness
5. Robbie Wear
6. Damian McCrory
7. Jacques Maghoma
8. Jack Dyer
9. Lee Bell
10. Calvin Zola
11. Matt Patterson

SUBS: Ross Atkins (gk) ( on loan from Derby ) UNUSED, Andrew Corbett UNUSED, Aaron Webster UNUSED, Nathan Stanton ( on for Holness on 30 minutes ), Cleveland Taylor UNUSED, Justin Richards UNUSED, Adi Yussuff UNUSED.

The referee is Mr Tim Robinson, never heard of him and the officials are Mr Lee Swabey & Mr Adrian Tranter with the fourth official being Mr Adrian Bennett.

Personally i believe this will be a tough game as they have plenty of attacking options and experience at the back, ironically with all the moaning i've been doing recently about negativity this might be a game where we could sit back and counter even though we are at home because i think they will try and force the game going on what Rowett was saying in some of his quotes. He was particularly unhappy with the York game first half because he said Burton were pushed back and weren't allowed to dominate which is maybe their preferred way of playing. Anyway, i'd be happy with another draw and a good performance although i hope for a win. I'm going 2-1 to us with Bodin and Howe getting in on the goals.

I had planned to make my first trip of the season down to Plainmoor for this one but i'm coming down on hols for a bit at the beginning of October so will be attending the Aldershot night game instead. Kind of glad really as i've had flu pre-Rotherham and i still feel like bobbins! Obviously i'm not doing an ANDY'S TOWN OF THE DAY for home games as it's Torquay and you all already know it's a hovel. :nod: ;-)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Andy - are you still planning on being a 'blogger' for the site? If so why not just publish this kind of excellent preview onto the main site and then paste it into a topic here to get the matchday thread sorted?
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Why is this sort of thing what people would be interested in reading Steve? If so i could give it a go for the next one, the next one should be a cracker as it's my current home town! I assume i wouldn't be permitted to use slightly naughty words then if it is a blog? You'll have to forgive my stupidity as i REALLY am pants at all this tinternet stuff.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Flying back in for this one to celebrate my sisters 30th with a carvery and then hopefully 3 points!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

austrianandygull wrote:Why is this sort of thing what people would be interested in reading Steve? If so i could give it a go for the next one, the next one should be a cracker as it's my current home town! I assume i wouldn't be permitted to use slightly naughty words then if it is a blog? You'll have to forgive my stupidity as i REALLY am pants at all this tinternet stuff.
I don't really know Andy. Maybe that question is better directed at Louis. Personally I just would have thought it was a shame that these previews can't be published properly where some more people might read it. But it's not my decision!

In any case, nice pre-match thread. ;-)
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Ok i'll ask Louis then steve, cheers mate. :-D
Louis
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Louis »

It was something I had in mind, just been so busy. Anyhow we've sorted it for next game :)
exilegull wrote:Flying back in for this one to celebrate my sisters 30th with a carvery and then hopefully 3 points!
This means we will win. Steve don't break your lucky charm at Plainmoor.
Have a great time mate, won't be at the game myself but welcome back - enjoy the game!
⚽️ Press Room - all latest TUFC News
⚽️ @Torquay_Fans - follow us on X for all the latest

claymillman
Trialist
Trialist

Post by claymillman »

May I point out one error in your otherwise fine preview to this game.
Burton won their last away league game at Rochdale 1 0 . They didn't lose it as reported here. They have won their last three league games, and are settling down quite well. The game on Saturday could go either way, and will I'm sure be very competitve.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

claymillman wrote:May I point out one error in your otherwise fine preview to this game.
Burton won their last away league game at Rochdale 1 0 . They didn't lose it as reported here. They have won their last three league games, and are settling down quite well. The game on Saturday could go either way, and will I'm sure be very competitve.

Ah well done that man for spotting the obvious mistake. I put one in every matchday thread now to see who spots it. :lol: Seriously clay, good spot it is an error and probably because i was in a rush to get it done that i saw the result the other way round! :-/ Sorry all. I'll have to be more thorough in future but you've given me the idea of actually doing what i said above. Chucking in an obvious incorrect fact in a matchday thread to see if anyone can spot it. Good idea, thanks mate :-D
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

Rene and Morris not been in training today :/
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Looking forward to tomorrow. Come on yellows
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

On the off chance that any Burton fans are reading this, can one of you please explain why Cloughthemagicdragon has been in maintainence mode for 6 months now and isn't letting me log in? Do you have an alternative forum?

Also, your team is bobbins (or was last year), so I'm going for a home win, sorry and all. :K

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

They destroyed Oxford 4-0 last Saturday with goal of the season from Zola, then followed it up with another win midweek.

I think we'll need to score a few to get anything from this, like the 2-2 and 4-2 games against Cheltenham and Rochdale.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
claymillman
Trialist
Trialist

Post by claymillman »

I don't know the full details why Cloughthemagic dragon closed, but there were some hostile postings, and they decided to effectively close by going on to seemingly permanent maintenance mode.
A new site is available "burtonbrewers.proboards.com", for anyone interested. It is going reasonably well, but is not yet well known.
Please feel free to tap in or register.
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

A hard fought 2 -1 win for the Gulls. Manse screamer and a Rene thunder drive will do. Gonna be tight......