Chesterfield v Torquay United - 29/9/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Hi Matt, yeah Manse is right in the fact that we again seem to cope generally well defending against these sides but WE NEED TO F*CKING ATTACK NOW AND AGAIN AND WE MIGHT SCORE MORE THAN ONE GOAL AWAY THIS SEASON! Where were you sat Matt? I could have said hello, anymore than that and you might have thought i was SG in disguise! :whistle:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Matt was probably hiding at the realisation that he knew someone would come up tonite with the thought of being raped by Southampton Gull. Yuk I'm still shuddering at the thought.
Our performances are worrying you all so much this is starting to sound depressing. I am almost tempted to tell a joke about Foul Posts !.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

y_e_l_l_o_w wrote:It seems strange that everyone seems happy taking a point every week.... which seems to be the case as was the responses to the Burton game at which point many agreed that a point was a fair return.

If we continue to draw games and fail to win at home, which apart from Rochdale is something that is likely in the immediate future is no one concerned that this equals a recipe for sliding down the league and perhaps being somewhere we should not be after Christmas.

If you look at other teams that are successful, bigger budgets or not, they seem able to get new signings to gel in pre-season ready for the league campaign, we still look at times like a team thrown together, 11 good players but unable to play the formation, certainly not like last season.

I am afraid I am a Ling doubter at the moment, things have to change, we need to be more adventurous at home and stamp out this attitude that everytime we draw it is a good point.

Y_E_L_L_O_W
It's not brilliantly written, which doesn't help, but the points this new guy is making are not all stupid (and certainly not worthy of the short shrift which they were dealt by Dutch)

The points tally we have presently is not good enough really. It's not about the opposition and who they are, nor is it about the comparisons with last season. It's not good enough because of the manner of the performances. Had we played properly, we'd be up there with Gillingham et al.
In a similar vein, paragraph two reflects a similar story. We look like a team of 11 strangers, which is something we didn't do last year.

I'm not suggesting that Dinger should go (that would be certifiable behavior), but there has to be a greater reaction from him than to keep saying that he is disappointed by the performance and that they will work to correct the mistakes. Only then for the team to produce the same turgid rubbish that we've seen in all but two matches this season

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Alright Andy, I was quite near the front, midway between Paulie Bastard and Steve Breed. I did have a look up the back for you when I came in, but didn't see you.

It's **** all defending well (against genuinely hopeless opposition) if the football you play is boring and negative and shit. We should be looking to batter teams that poor and in the end we scraped a draw.

Matt.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Fair point i suppose Matt and i actually never looked at it that way. It's making me even more depressed now. :'(

I'm there tuesday night and we're gonna smash the shots for six. 6-0. No mistake.

Now where's me medication.......... :-/
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:Fair point i suppose Matt and i actually never looked at it that way. It's making me even more depressed now. :'(

I'm there tuesday night and we're gonna smash the shots for six. 6-0. No mistake.

Now where's me medication.......... :-/

same place as matts. and brucies and............ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Judging by your t-shirt SNW i could ask you where yours is! :lol:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

austrianandygull wrote:Judging by your t-shirt SNW i could ask you where yours is! :lol:
i gave mine to you mate.......... ;-)
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

touche :-D :lol:
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

Matt ................o.k you were there BUT I maintain my view that you MUST take a long term view of things,

The vast majority of your posts really piss me off as it betrays your attempts at a wannebe clever dick but hey thats another matter !!

Another Torquay United fans website refers to this site as "the kiddies site" I never really liked that tag but I understand where they are coming from.

I have watched football for over forty years and have seen so much, some good a lot of bad and it is really is hacking me off the way some people write so much drivel and show that that have not got a clue what they are typing about. I guess its its my age showing through and as its the age of facebook & Ipads and instant opinions but it doesn't mean to say that what is said is insightful. Call me an old fart but thats the way I see it.
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Ferrailover Matt forever the annoying t**** !!!
HardofHerringGull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by HardofHerringGull »

As there seem to be a lot of apologies flying about at the moment I'd like to chip in with one also... To Bixie and Ausandy! Sorry I didn't make it to the pub or match. I've never seen so many bloody roadworks in all my life as I did yesterday! Even with the help of SNW on his All-Singing All Dancing phone (or whatever it's called) I still wouldn't have got to the pub in time for a pint or two! :'(
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Hey Hardofherringgull. For what it's worth mate i didn't make it to the pub either but met SNW in the ground who stood next to me all game and i clapped eyes on Bix even though we didn't get a chance to speak. I heard about your nightmare with the roadworks in Newark. Sorry you missed the game mate anyway and another time perhaps. :-D
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Dutchgull wrote:Matt ................o.k you were there BUT I maintain my view that you MUST take a long term view of things,

The vast majority of your posts really piss me off as it betrays your attempts at a wannebe clever dick but hey thats another matter !!

Another Torquay United fans website refers to this site as "the kiddies site" I never really liked that tag but I understand where they are coming from.

I have watched football for over forty years and have seen so much, some good a lot of bad and it is really is hacking me off the way some people write so much drivel and show that that have not got a clue what they are typing about. I guess its its my age showing through and as its the age of facebook & Ipads and instant opinions but it doesn't mean to say that what is said is insightful. Call me an old fart but thats the way I see it.
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Ferrailover Matt forever the annoying t**** !!!
As opposed to simply writing the word IDIOT in capital letters?

The list of seemingly random words I have highlighted are supposed to be a coherent sentence, are they?

Next opponent please, this one is not quite up to scratch (offended? Think yourself lucky that I deleted my original sentence)

Long term, across our last 15 genuine League games, we are 13th in the form table (which I have spent 40 minutes working out by hand), with a record which reads:

P15 W3 D9 L3 F16 A16 GD 0 Pts 18.

Top of the table on points are Gillingham:

P15 W9 D4 L2 F27 A12 GD 15 Pts 31

Bottom on points are Wycombe (but that does include 7 L1 games, because they've only played 8 this year, if you don't know why, make a point of asking a Bristol Useless supporter, if you can find anyone to own up to being such a thing):

P15 W1 D4 L10 F14 A29 GD -15 Pts 7

In terms of our strong suit, defending, we are joint 5th (alongside Bradford and Fleetwood), with 16 goals conceded. Top of the table in this regard are Gillingham (again) having shipped just 12 in the qualifying period.

In terms of our weak suit, attacking, we are joint 19th (alongside Wombles and Plymouth) with just 16 scored. Top of the table in this regard are Exeter having amassed an impressive 30 goals in just 15 games, despite being relegated humiliatingly last term.

We aren't quite as badly off as I imagined we were going to be when I began compiling the table, but we sure as hell can see (for those who couldn't before, perhaps) where our problems lie. It's not that we aren't really picking up points, we sort of are, although mid-table is a bit misleading, since we finished much higher than that last year, so would have to finish correspondingly lower this year to create the aggregate effect. We must make a concerted effort to create more chances and score more goals. Once again yesterday, those in attendance were forced to sit and watch as their team created just one goal scoring chance. Alright, we took it, but Christ on a bike, the game ain't half dull when it's played in the middle 40 yards of the pitch. It's all well and good restricting the opposition to just two shots on target (one comfortably pushed past the post, one scored), but it's no good if you can't build on that solid foundation and press forward.

My concern (such as it is) isn't that we are going to be relegated and that we need a change of manager to stop that from happening, it's more that Dinger doesn't seem to be doing anything about changing a situation which has been with us for a long time now, namely that we simply do not stick the ball in the onion bag enough.
That only Plymouth, Wycombe, Barnet and Wombles (three of whom have sacked their managers since the end of last season, and one of whom cannot afford to) have scored fewer goals than us recently should be a major concern for all Torquay fans. That Lingy doesn't seem to be doing anything about it should be a source of even greater consternation.
I do support Dinger, fully, and absolutely no part of me wants him gone (I described such an attitude recently as 'certifiable' and I stand by that now), but I do want him to address the areas in which we are falling down.
I am familiar with the argument that we are a small club, have no money, he's done wonders etc, but that's a little bit like the argument that one shouldn't be prosecuted for committing a crime because one is of previously good character. It's essentially nonsense. We aren't so small and so bereft of cash that Lingy can't thumb through his little black book and get in a striker or playmaker who is going to allow us to create a dozen chances a game and stick two or three of them away.
Two or three convincing wins on the bounce with decent performances thrown in may be enough to kick start the team into playing the football I stood and watched against Cheltenham and Rochdale (much as Wombles at home last year), but I'm not sure we can necessarily afford to wait for them to come along before we take some action. Getting in a three month loanee from Manchester United or someone, has got to be easier to engineer than a couple of big wins, hasn't it?

But don't listen to me, my opinion doesn't seem to align with some random no mark from Holland...

Matt.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I did see your original sentence. In my opinion your opinion doesn't count for much. Pomposity in the extreme. One day perhaps you may understand football. I live in hope.
Talk to members of the board as I do and find out the reality of the situation. Of course its easy to give a call to Sir Alex and ask for a player or two....

Yours
The random no mark from Holland.
Kingsteignton actually.
Rach
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Rach »

[/quote]

no we wernt! it was barely on half way....anyway, scottish gull got chucked out for it! =D[/quote]

Radio said we were clear through on attack