Torquay United v Harrogate Town - FA Cup Rnd 1 - 3/11/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Wisconsin_gull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mr Chappell

Post by Wisconsin_gull »

Let's hope Poke doesn't come out flapping for a cross in the first minute - that could unsettle nerves some..
Talking of which, time to run out and do the grocery shop
Iphone charged, will be keeping track via the ever reliable Livetext!
COYY
:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
At the kerb halt - look right - look left -look right again - if all clear quick march!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

By the same token HTAFC what would you think if Town were playing at home to Bishop Monkton FC? Would you be saying they're a load of overweight plumbers who can't wait to get the game over so that they could go to the pub and that you should be hammering them given the gulf between you both? I rest my case.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
HTAFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by HTAFC »

austrianandygull wrote:By the same token HTAFC what would you think if Town were playing at home to Bishop Monkton FC? Would you be saying they're a load of overweight plumbers who can't wait to get the game over so that they could go to the pub and that you should be hammering them given the gulf between you both? I rest my case.
No I wouldn't to be fair, over the years we have been beaten in the cup by lower league clubs many a time, last season it was Frickley Athletic, then it was Bradford Park Avenue. I have been round the block too many times to write teams off just because of their league placement. I am not one of these youngsters who think that everyone below them is fodder, I have age and experience on my side! Please do not tar us all with the same brush!
HeavenAndHele
First Regular
First Regular

Post by HeavenAndHele »

But then if we got a Premier League team in the 3rd round (assuming we get that far of course) and their fans were being cocky about turning over little old Torquay we'd probably react the same. It's all relative. Anyway, with a few exceptions I think we've all been very respectful towards Harrogate, as we should be given our last meeting(s).
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

No I wouldn't to be fair, over the years we have been beaten in the cup by lower league clubs many a time, last season it was Frickley Athletic, then it was Bradford Park Avenue. I have been round the block too many times to write teams off just because of their league placement. I am not one of these youngsters who think that everyone below them is fodder, I have age and experience on my side! Please do not tar us all with the same brush![/quote]

We all have buddy......thats the beauty of cup football. May the best team on the day win. :bow:
HTAFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by HTAFC »

Forest gull wrote:No I wouldn't to be fair, over the years we have been beaten in the cup by lower league clubs many a time, last season it was Frickley Athletic, then it was Bradford Park Avenue. I have been round the block too many times to write teams off just because of their league placement. I am not one of these youngsters who think that everyone below them is fodder, I have age and experience on my side! Please do not tar us all with the same brush!

We all have buddy......thats the beauty of cup football. May the best team on the day win. :bow:[/quote]

Well said that man! League form goes out of the window - lets have a great game.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Yeah that's true to some extent Jase but that's what EVERY fan of the smaller club in this scenario would say. I think HTAFC is getting upset because we are saying that we SHOULD be beating them easily and we SHOULD be getting 3 or 4 and i can understand that because she is sticking up for her club but thinking they are better than they are. We are as good as top half in league 2 which is where we currently are and they are as good as 13th or wherever in the conference north. If they were any better then they wouldn't be in that position. Therefore we are perfectly entitled to say we should be rolling them over and it is not unreasonable to say that. What HTAFC is saying is that the Harrogate lads will roll their sleeves up and compete and i'd expect nothing less and if they turn us over ( which happens in cup football ) then they have played better on the day generally. They still won't be as good as us otherwise they would be above us in league 2. I am not writing Harrogate off like HTAFC says, they have as much chance as us but we are the better side overall and should be comfortably beating them. At the end of the day if you are classed as a professional in whatever sport or career and get beaten or undermined by an amateur or novice then it is unacceptable and those professionals should be reprimanded. For example if i was a surgeon operating on someones appendix and a trainee surgeon told me i was doing it wrong and showed me why and he was right then i should be reprimanded and suspended. Like Torquay players should if they don't win today.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
HTAFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by HTAFC »

austrianandygull wrote:Yeah that's true to some extent Jase but that's what EVERY fan of the smaller club in this scenario would say. I think HTAFC is getting upset because we are saying that we SHOULD be beating them easily and we SHOULD be getting 3 or 4 and i can understand that because she is sticking up for her club but thinking they are better than they are. We are as good as top half in league 2 which is where we currently are and they are as good as 13th or wherever in the conference north. If they were any better then they wouldn't be in that position. Therefore we are perfectly entitled to say we should be rolling them over and it is not unreasonable to say that. What HTAFC is saying is that the Harrogate lads will roll their sleeves up and compete and i'd expect nothing less and if they turn us over ( which happens in cup football ) then they have played better on the day generally. They still won't be as good as us otherwise they would be above us in league 2. I am not writing Harrogate off like HTAFC says, they have as much chance as us but we are the better side overall and should be comfortably beating them. At the end of the day if you are classed as a professional in whatever sport or career and get beaten or undermined by an amateur or novice then it is unacceptable and those professionals should be reprimanded. For example if i was a surgeon operating on someones appendix and a trainee surgeon told me i was doing it wrong and showed me why and he was right then i should be reprimanded and suspended. Like Torquay players should if they don't win today.
Few things to correct you on, first off I am a he not a she, secondly, I am not upset, just stating what I see. I agree that not every fan would say what I do, we have our fair share of numpties that believe that if a team is below us in a league/standing then we should beat them, however having followed Harrogate Town for over two decades now, I know all to well that we have been beaten by teams way below us in leagues etc. In essence you should be beating us, but that doesn't mean that you will. Some of your fans (and others on other forums as well) - and by the way, I never said you were one of them, nor have I implied that you have written us off at all - please show me the passage where I have named you, have been rather disrespectful of our chances (which is their choice). All I am pointing out is that on the day we have a 50-50 chance of getting through!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Few things to correct you on, first off I am a he not a she, secondly, I am not upset, just stating what I see. I agree that not every fan would say what I do, we have our fair share of numpties that believe that if a team is below us in a league/standing then we should beat them, however having followed Harrogate Town for over two decades now, I know all to well that we have been beaten by teams way below us in leagues etc. In essence you should be beating us, but that doesn't mean that you will. Some of your fans (and others on other forums as well) - and by the way, I never said you were one of them, nor have I implied that you have written us off at all - please so me the passage where I have named you, have been rather disrespectful of our chances (which is their choice). All I am pointing out is that on the day we have a 50-50 chance of getting through![/quote]

We had to go round the houses mate but we got there in the end. :bow: You agree then. :-D

Apologies for calling you a she, it was unintentional and i hope the best team wins today, actually i hope we'll get a replay just so i can go back to Harrogate. It's just up the road from my mums house.
HTAFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by HTAFC »

Gor blimey, I have just noticed that Sky think that the match has been postponed!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i'm gonna say 4-0 to us, howe 2, bodin and downes, 1634 there

guess i'll be wrong and we'll lose 0-1 tho

was gonna be there today, but shes done her back in, perils of nursing, so we'll be heading south a bit later in our week off
still keeping the faith
HTAFC
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by HTAFC »

austrianandygull wrote:We had to go round the houses mate but we got there in the end. :bow: You agree then. :-D

Apologies for calling you a she, it was unintentional and i hope the best team wins today, actually i hope we'll get a replay just so i can go back to Harrogate. It's just up the road from my mums house.
Hah - we will see! I thought you would beat us last time at Plainmoor but look what happened!

A replay would be good, it would be nice to have a very big crowd at The CNG Stadium again!
Last edited by HTAFC on 03 Nov 2012, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i think the academy game was postponed today, but the fa cup game is definitely on
still keeping the faith
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

surprise surprise, the teams are not on player yet!!
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

bixieupnorth wrote:i'm gonna say 4-0 to us, howe 2, bodin and downes, 1634 there

guess i'll be wrong and we'll lose 0-1 tho

was gonna be there today, but shes done her back in, perils of nursing, so we'll be heading south a bit later in our week off
I reckon there will be 1635 there. ;-)