Rovers in for Buckle?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

I'm up for Fergies son who has recently been sacked, at least we could get a few good loanee's in.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

On my way home yesterday I was thinking Hargreaves. Has he done his coaching badges since the summer (its been rather quiet on the CH front since he left Oxford)? If so, he would be the choice for me. Inexperienced in management yes, but so was Buckle, Tisdale, Eddie Howe etc etc. Popular with the fans, loves the club, been around so knows a few contacts, possibly cheap? Ticks all the boxes for me.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Jeff

We had a similar conversation on the way back. You could argue that Lee Hodges has an even better shout than Chris Hargreaves. Yes he may not have been as popular with the fans, by that I don't mean unpopular at all, but to his credit he has got out there and managed a senior non league team and is getting his coaching badges at Truro City. In fact City are on line for the championship, which would put them in the Conference South.

I like most, love Chris Hargreaves enthusiasm, charactor, dapper dress code etc, but a league 2 manager? not sure I can see him on the sideline at Accrington on a Tuesday night! I would rather see him on that late night footy show in a warm studio telling us where we went wright and wrong, and that to me is where he will stay.
Chow Mein
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Bruno Meirelles

Post by Chow Mein »

Or Hargreaves could be a Niall Quinn then we'd be in the shit.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I hadn't thought about Lee Hodges, doing a great job down there at Truro but then he does have one of the biggest budgets in the league so he had to deliver really. Still, had to get the team winning and all that and he is doing the business so cannot argue with that. Potential Torquay boss? Hmmm, well Truro would probably want compensation for him (I remember them famously saying they wouldn't sell Stuart Yetton for £10million a few years back) which is something we can ill-afford to do.

I dunno, I can see Hargreaves as a manager. Time will tell I guess!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

My dad did mention Hargreaves. But I can't see it. Assistant to somebody else, yes, but I can't see him being the main man just yet..
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Trollope would be the No.1 candidate for me and ticks a lot of boxes ie connections with the club, good record of developing young players, good contacts, no compensation would be required, proven track record at this level.

Lee Hodges, on the other hand, is still in his first full season as a manager at Truro.

Greavsie wouldn't be a bad shout as manager or as Youth Team manager if Bucks did go the Memorial Stadium and take Geoff Harrop with him.

If Colin Lee was still employed by the club then Darren Ferguson could be an outside bet, as he played under Lee at Wolves, but it would quite a slim one.

But Bucks is still in charge so, for now, we should focus our energies on getting behind the team tomorrow to help make sure that we get three points.
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper

Post by MidDevon »

Just to cast the net wider, Mark Cooper is doing a brilliant job at Darlington turning around their fortunes, he is from Somerset so would he throw his hat in the ring?

The more you think about it, the more options there are

....I have to say I trust the board to make the right decision, some really high profile names would apply, but I just can't see them being "starry eyed". Rumour hs it that Osie Ardiles applied for the Hereford job!

I cannot say I like Trollope, discipline is poor at Rovers, there is a drinking culture at the club which he was unable to sort and he is poor with the media....just my opinion
houndtorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by houndtorgull »

How about a duo of Leroy Resenior and Alex Russell ?

Just a bit concerned to read that Mariner has recently left Argyle, hope he's not on his way to planimoor on the cheap....
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

houndtorgull wrote:How about a duo of Leroy Resenior and Alex Russell ?

Just a bit concerned to read that Mariner has recently left Argyle, hope he's not on his way to planimoor on the cheap....
Can't see that happening at all. Mariner isn't manager material - he showed that at Argyle.
Bomber
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Bomber »

Mariner is currently poised to be named as manager of MLS side Toronto FC.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by tommyg »

So are we all convinced that Buckle will leave? While Bristol Rovers is a step up, I don't think it's the right move for him at this time. According to their forum they are destined for relegation and have little money to spend. That raises the compensation question. Can they afford Buckle? And could they afford to give the new manager funds for transfers?

As for his overwhelming odds, it doesn't take much money to move a market as small as this. I hope he at least hangs around until after the FA Cup game. That could make or break our season.
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

SuperNickyWroe, I think it was, suggested that Hereford would be his last game with us, but surely if that was the case it would have been announced by now. Hopefully he'll be at Plainmoor doing his thing tomorrow.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Hmm, I think he will go. Not sure why.

Either way, I hope we find out quickly so we can move on and get somebody else in, if he does move on.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Even if he does go, any move is full of ifs and buts, so lets just get behind him and the team for as long as we have him. He might want a move and then find the situation isn't quite as he wished and decide to remain, but he's ambitious and with the constraints on the purse-strings at Plainmoor he would obviously relish the chance to have more spending power and resources, nobody could blame him for that.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com