Rovers in for Buckle?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I agree with all of that, Dave.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Saah

Post by YellowMurphy »

Nick, how you can value Ellis at 500k is insane?! Id say 250k at the most. Whatever team he goes to he would need time, as he needed time here. Not really been on his best form recently.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

YellowMurphy,

All we need to do is look at Exeter. Was it not silly amounts like that for Moxey, Friend & so on (happy to be corrected)? Harley's being touted with a 500k move away. Le Fondre is valued at £2m by Rovrum for goodness sake!

Footballs going mad, but we need to make sure we don't get mugged off by bigger clubs when they come calling.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

They were consistent performers in a league 2 promotion hunting side, playing good football, Ellis has took a while to become as good as he is. With this bad spell right in the heart of the transfer window, if this spell continues his value can only go down.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Bad spell? Have I missed something? He was our best player today. Okay, a bit dodgy at Hereford, but Chesterfield he was alright, and that's going back a while.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

Im only on about the last 2 games......Today he was bad, you cant concede 4 goals and personally have a good game as a defender, his positioning was awful at times, and resulted in their goals.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'm surprised at that. Their first goal, nothing you could really do about. Second, that was collective as it was dire marking. Third, not sure what happened in the buildup, but Bevs was definately at fault. 4th goal, counter attack, Ellis was probably up there as we were all out attacking at that point.

Can't really remember him getting his positioning wrong at all - never missed a header, always available for a pass.

We all see things differently though.
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

Yeah, His heading was as good as usual and he was confident on the ball, I dont think Ellis needed to push up to be honest. I think he really needed Branno, him and robbo just didnt talk enough.
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

YellowMurphy wrote:Yeah, His heading was as good as usual and he was confident on the ball, I dont think Ellis needed to push up to be honest. I think he really needed Branno, him and robbo just didnt talk enough.
It's not always a question of whether he needed to push up. If the man who selects him, and tells him what to do informs him to go up front - can't really see how he has much choice in the matter. I thought Ellis today was very solid at the back
YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

yeah, i suppose, he may have just caught up in the moment. im just saying over the last 2 games, he hasnt been that good.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

YellowMurphy wrote:yeah, i suppose, he may have just caught up in the moment. im just saying over the last 2 games, he hasnt been that good.
i see what you are saying, but you could say that about cb's in the prem - like when that cheat at chelski, rio et al have a few "bad moments" and make real good howlers that you would never expect.

overall ellis has been first class this season and isnt going to be A1 every single game.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

YellowMurphy
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by YellowMurphy »

oh yeah his performance over the whole season has been great.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

As I said in the other thread, I'm a Peterborough fan, and we signed a very similar player in Ryan Bennett from Grimsby for around £625k last year, and although in my opinion Bennett is better than Ellis, there is a shortage of good centrebacks, and Ellis is a good centre back. I don't see why we can't get a fair amount of money for Ellis, around £300k has got to be the target?
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
shaunicus
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by shaunicus »

You have to take into account the length of time left on the players contract, too. Ellis has (and quote me if I'm wrong) around 18 months left on his current deal. Now, with his age (he's 22) and current level of ability and potential, I'd say something in the region of 300-500k would be reasonable.

For Benyon we can expect considerably less, due to this being the last year of his deal. Clubs won't pay big money if they can wait until the summer for him. One thing that could work in our advantage for Benyon is the fact he's a striker in a rich vein of form. And goalscorers never go out of fashion.

On the subject of Buckle, I'm not sure Bristol Rovers would be the best move for him. I could understand if he did move on though. A bad run of form for the remainder of the season would see the club fall down the table and Buckle's stock fall. He might want to strike while the iron's hot, so to speak.
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

NickGull wrote:I'm surprised at that. Their first goal, nothing you could really do about. Second, that was collective as it was dire marking. Third, not sure what happened in the buildup, but Bevs was definately at fault. 4th goal, counter attack, Ellis was probably up there as we were all out attacking at that point. Can't really remember him getting his positioning wrong at all - never missed a header, always available for a pass. We all see things differently though.
Best you watch the reply of the 3rd Nick. Bevs came out and narrowed the angle like keepers are taught to do, making it tight enough that it only went in off the post. Ellis got caught out by Midson getting in behind him.
Last edited by Fletch on 04 Jan 2011, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.