The Devon Derbies without Saah

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

The Devon Derbies without Saah

Post by Richinns »

Out of both now he has decided against an appeal.

Big blow for me - he and Downes have been very consistent at the back.

Step up Angus and Kirtys - let’s hope you can fill the void.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

It will be extremely difficult to secure wins if the worse case scenario happens and Downes gets a yellow card in the next game then he has to serve his one match suspension too.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

supergulls wrote:It will be extremely difficult to secure wins if the worse case scenario happens and Downes gets a yellow card in the next game then he has to serve his one match suspension too.
:O Sh1t a brick - I did not realise that was the case.

Guaranteed that will be the case for Excreta game as I have a lot riding on that!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

Then we have the scenario of possibly a youth team player being called up as we did against port vale !!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Maybe i'm courting criticism here but has the fact that we have spent most of the season defending contributed to our defensive players experiencing such poor discipline? They have been largely overworked and have had to run the risk of getting bookings because of it.

I have no doubt that Angus and Kirtys could both come in and do a job if needed but as they have never played together before plus the fact that Kirtys is such a young and inexperienced lad, i doubt we would keep clean sheets in any of the games should this scenario happen. We just have to hope that Aaron keeps it real and doesn't pick up a yellow.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
united09
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by united09 »

Lets hope theres a mass brawl at St james park this weekend with a few players from each side, getting a few red cards. :scarf:
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I don't think that there is a problem with discipline at all. Referees do seem to hand out cards like confetti these days. I think the guys have done well not to have more problems with suspensions.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Dutchgull wrote:I don't think that there is a problem with discipline at all. Referees do seem to hand out cards like confetti these days. I think the guys have done well not to have more problems with suspensions.
That's a positive way of looking at it Dutch. The lads have done well i agree. I think someone said it on the red cards thread that in relation to other teams in the division our disciplinary record isn't overly bad. It's just that it always seems to be our defensive players who get sent off ( apart from Howe who can have an attitude problem at times ) and that led me to ask the question why is it always our defensive players who get sent off.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 11 Dec 2012, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Because alot of the time Andy it is down to a last man tackle (Downes), or getting repeatedly rinsed (Oastler). Obviously midfielders aren't often in that position.

For what it's worth I'm very worried that we'll face Exeter without Saah, so if Downes gets booked next week I will not be very confident at all. After all they've won 7 away games already this year. Hmm.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers Nick, i did sort of think that but wondered whether you guys thought it was more unusual than normal to be having all these defenders sent off. :-D
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Didnt realise Saah would be out for the festive period(which doesnt help when 2 of them are derbies), but with Downes a yellow from being out also, we are F....d. My Hypothesis is to not play Downes this Saturday.
Lucy
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

You're not an RAF Supplier, are you Lucy?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

I don't see how not playing Downes this Saturday is going to help the situation at all Lucy, because he could just as easily get booked in the following game against Exeter and then we would still be without our first choice center backs against Plymouth.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

It was probably tongue in cheek from lucy. All that matters is 3 points against Northampton. Whatever happens during that game happens and if Downes is to be booked then we replace him for the Greeks and move on. I'm sure Aaron is professional enough and has been around long enough to not pull out of any challenges he feels he can win simply because he knows he will be suspended should the ref penalise him. He will give it his all as he always does, i've no doubts about that.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

We just need a dose of confidence, at the end of the day, what will be will be. We know from last season Gus is a very good young centre back with England youth experience, and Kirtys played against Port Vale who are amongst the top goalscorers around, played very well and it took a freak own goal to breach our defence.

I have 100% confidence in which ever pairing takes us through the derbies and into the new year..keep calm and don't panic.
Formerly known as forevertufc