Burton Albion v Torquay United - 12/1/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Some of the usual rubbish on here tonight. People who didn't go calling for Ling out.

I was there, I know what happened. There was nothing wrong with the performance today. Aside from one deflected first half effort, Poke actually didn't have a shot to save. He dealt with a number of crosses superbly, and both their goals were fantastic finishes but the only had 3 efforts on goal.

We had the better chances by miles, but only Rene's second half double-save effort was guilt-edged. I was just thinking that this would represent a good point between two evenly matched sides when their lad pulls out the goal of his career to win it. Left a sour taste but can have few complaints of the performance.

The only two mistakes we made in the entire match were punished by goals - Lathrope giving the ball away for the first and Oastler letting the ball bounce for the second. It was that sort of day and the sort of thing that happens when you are stuck in a rut.

On the strength of the performance we won't be in any danger and we have good enough players to get it together. We just cannot catch a break at the moment.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

But it's not the formation is it?

He's gone 4-4-2 this season on several occasions, and we still didn't play any better.

Honestly, reading some of the posts on here (mainly from those that haven't gone today I hasten to add), it's like I've logged on to emos-r-us.com or something of that ilk judging by some of the seemingly depressing, almost suicidal type posts from some.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

Scott Brehaut wrote:But it's not the formation is it?

He's gone 4-4-2 this season on several occasions, and we still didn't play any better.

Honestly, reading some of the posts on here (mainly from those that haven't gone today I hasten to add), it's like I've logged on to emos-r-us.com or something of that ilk judging by some of the seemingly depressing, almost suicidal type posts from some.

I can't remember the last time he played 4-4-2, but Ling has never played 4-4-2 with two wingers, two centre midfielders and two upfront. That's the 4-4-2 formation I want and that would work and would make us much more attacking. Playing 4-4-2 with Craig on the wing, or with 3 centre midfielders is not good enough. Thompson, Craig, Mansell, Stevens, Howe, Jarvis/Yeoman is the way to go!
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I came off here shortly after the whistle because I knew whatever I'd say would be an overreaction. I have never doubted Lingy yet, he's doing his best in a tough job, but slowly the gap between the bottom two and ourselves is shortening. Most of the teams below us won today, putting us just 8 points ahead of bottom side Rovers. I know we have games in hand on every team in the division, but on current form, we aren't going to win them.

Reading the reports it sounds like we did well today and couldn't score again, when we were on top. That's a concern, though it isn't my biggest. Obviously the slight concern is dropping back into the BSP because this time, I highly doubt that we'll come back from it, not for several years anyway.

I still think Lingy is the man for the job, as, like I say, it's a tough time for everyone at the club but we have to just stick together. However, I think if we haven't won by the end of the month, then things will start to look worrying.

Danny:

This is 4-4-2. You're suggesting more of a 4-2-4 kind of formation which I doubt will work because we will get so overrun in midfield. Ling obviously realises that Craig isn't experienced/disciplined enough to be part of a 2-man midfield, hence why he has been shifted outside. This is why I want the return of the 3-man midfield, with Lathrope sat behind Manse and NC. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's going to happen.

The 6 players you mention would not work, because it'd leave our back line incredibly pressured, which isn't a good thing.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Plain fact is that we have been sitting with our heads up our own arses for months now. This team isn't good enough and Lings assessment that we were the better team and it was one of those things is just claptrap.
If we have no money to sign anybody - well that isn't good enough. We got enough money in transfer fees didn't we. If Stevens is an automatic first choice then that syas it all. Lets face it he has been consistent - consistently fecking awful all season.
We have probably got just about enough to keep us up but need a couple of decent signings to make sure. Ling should be on the phone to Zebroski tonight begging him to come.
A forward line of Howe-Jarvis-Zebs looks a different proposition to that of Howe-Jarvis-Stevens. Exeter on Tuesday is NOT looking that good a proposition. There are no Macclesfield's and Hereford's this year. Its almost guaranteed that the likes of Plymouth and Bristol Rovers will pick up.
If we were to lose the like of Howe or Downes we would look even worse as a team.
This needs to be addressed NOW not in three weeks when we are even deeper in the shit.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Content Removed - Personal Insult
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

however, with regard to howe and downes - and also saah, you are right. injury or off in the transfer window would make things even more difficult.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Yet another disappointing result after taking the lead. Perhaps the message will get through now the Burton manager has come out and said that "Torquay are a good side but have a habit of conceding late goals".

All teams have to do is stay within one goal of us at HT and they know they will get at least a point.

I just hope Lingy doesn't take the other comments too literally ie that Torquay "will be pushing the playoff places" because I think we are already entering a relegation scrap and I expect no points from our games in hand.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I feel that i must praise Martin and the players tonight having thought long and hard about the game i have just witnessed. Yes there were a few under par performances, Stevens being particularly predictable and lightweight, we cocked things up for ourselves again at the back and we once again didn't take our chances but i know that if we play all our remaining away games in that manner then we will win more than we will lose.

Let's not forget that before today, Burton had won 8 of their previous 13 home games, were in good form, had strikers in form AND they had a Torquay old boy in Kee which usually means he will score against us. Ling approached the game in the right manner and made it entertaining and competetive at the same time. It is so frustrating when knowing we are capable of playing like that and yet we put in some horrific showings for the most part earlier on in the season when it wasn't necessary. I've already given criticism for that and it's water under the bridge but i must give praise and encouragement for today. At York we won 2-0 but we were pretty dire and today at Burton is the only time i have seen us play football with confidence, fluidity and purpose away at least. We constructed some cracking moves and worked some intelligent balls into each other and at times it was so refreshing. We got lucky on a few occasions and they could have been a couple up early on but when we got going i was really impressed. The stats say we lost 2-1 and got 0 points but on another day with more concentration and better finishing we could have come out of the Pirelli with a 2 or 3 nil lead against a team who have one of the strongest home records in the division!

If we can somehow cut out the errors to a certain extent and maybe get someone in who can add a few more goals then we are a match for anyone in this league if we play like we did today. Howe should have scored today and God only knows how he didn't but the pleasing thing was we actually attacked them, pressed them and played some purposeful football which gave them something to think about. Ok we got beaten but we shouldn't have done. We should have won but i have no hesitation that if we had played our previous away games i'd been to like today we would have beaten Fleetwood, Chesterfield, Rotherham and Wycombe for definate IMO. Wycombe for example were near the bottom and yet we just stood off the whole game and said, "you have it then and attack us and see if you can score". If we had given them something to think about like we gave Burton today, they wouldn't have been able to dictate the play and eventually break us down through incessant pressure. We would have slaughtered Wycombe in that game should we have gone out with the same outlook. The wycombe game is just one example.

I believe the squad IS good enough but we need help short term if we are to go in the right direction and i think it would be a mistake for Ling not to add a loanee striker IMO. To say i am not worried about the slump towards the wrong end of the table would be a lie and Ling has a proven track record of embarking on runs ( good and bad ) with no indication when it will end but i believe if we continue to give teams a game like today then we will have absolutely nothing to worry about in terms of relegation.

I actually really enjoyed the game today and it's a long time since i've said that. We lost but i'm not bothered because i saw enough to keep me satisfied that we are in generally good health after all. We just need a bit of tweaking here and there and some confidence coming back.

It was bloody cold today too and i'm a hard northerner, i reckon you Devonshire folk were feeling it 10 minutes in eh? Credit to the fans who were there today, probably around 120 ish? Zero atmosphere but we did our best. Thoroughly pleasurable to stand with Ben again, his friend and his old man ( sorry again! ) Kirsty too and i had a brief chat with Matt and Alexgulls plus a couple of blokes from Nottingham who i'd never met before but we got chatting at half time. I didn't see YOU BIX!! Did you decide to stay in the warmth of the hostelry you layabout! :lol:

Finally may i give immense credit to Burton Albion football club for another fantastic day out. Even the toilets were clean, respectable and had a rich abundance of toilet roll which i thought it rude to pass up. Yes, i missed their winner due to an impromptu and thoroughly unwelcome IBS attack. My GP is in for it next week! :@

In all seriousness, it cost £14 to stand in a spacious, clean modern terrace, the programme was excellent and beats some of the crud we get in our league, the parking was yards from the away end, secure and cost £2 and i got out straight away after the game. Everyone was friendly and i think they have got their whole set up bang on. It only took me 40 minutes to get home too! :)

In case you are thinking that i've taken a happy pill tonight, the ref was a total cnut and the clash of colours was a joke. They had their home kit on ( black and yellow stripes and the worst shirt in the league - reminds me of a sunday league one i used to wear ) and we had yellow shorts but our navy blue shirts on and my God it clashed. Why the home side couldn't have been advised to wear their light blue away shirt by the ref before kick off? Total amateur. :red:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers smiffy! I've just read through the posts on this thread that were being posted during and after the game and i thought I was a merchant of doom! If i may offer some words of wisdom, the reason why we are seemingly in a bit of sh*t is not because of today, it is because of the tactics deployed by Ling in many other previous games, games in which had we played like we did today, we would have won and we would now be comfortably be sitting in the play offs. I said at the time whilst game after game came and went and Ling didn't want to win any of them that we would have got more points going for the win than we have currently got now. So although i praise Ling in defeat for today, he has thrown away a sh*tload of points by being incessantly and unecessarily negative for the first 3 months of the season. Don't have a go at Ling for today because he gave it a go, it's just a shame he couldn't have been so positive earlier on in the season. Those depressing, dour, sterile performances week in week out have scuppered our hopes for the season and it is for those performances ( Vale away apart ) that Ling should be held accountable for. IMO.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
BrewerInPeace
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by BrewerInPeace »

Hi guys brewers fan in peace here and would just like to say well played to you guys thought you deserved at least a point today. Reading through some of your posts sounds like you have a few concerns but I reckon based on today you'll be fine and to be fair we have got the best home record in the league (but we're awful away). Always enjoyed our games against you in the BSP and league 2. Good luck for the rest of the season. Here's a post from our forum that I think says a lot avout how the game went today:

I thought it was a great game to watch and would've said that even if we'd have lost. Torquay played really well and they should have won. Great passing, very physical and never gave up. Rene Howe is a nightmare - there aren't many players in this league who would give Zander such a hard time. Great player.

I wouldn't say we matched them, cos I don't think we did, we just scored more goals, which is fairly important, of course.

Deano kept us in it (great save from Rene Howe, great on crosses, double save too). Tommo is going to have to be very patient, isn't he? Robbie Weir had his best game for a while, I'm getting used to Belly playing a blinder. Drury looks a handful and was sad to see him go off.

I'm a Matt Paterson fan, so I'm feeling very smug and very happy for him tonight. Did you notice, though, that for the five minutes (?) between him coming on and him scoring, there wasn't one hoofed ball played to him, just a set of intelligent passes, that he could actually do something with. Which he did. After that it changed cos it was 'backs to the wall'.

Great game. I don't remember beating Torquay many times so was a sweet one today. They'll feel robbed and they were. COYB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

:goodpost:

welcome to the forum and thanks for that. :clap:

well, sort of. :@ =D
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Cheers for that. In fairness you were due a win against us at your place. I love going to Burton not least because i live not 30 miles up the road but it's a really good, friendly club. I remember last season when we gubbed you 4-1 a kind old lady Burton fan praised our performance and wished us good luck for the season when she passed me as i was making my way back to the car. You have a fairly average squad no offence but Rowett is getting the max out of them. You have goals in Zola, Kee and Maghoma too so i hope you do well at the expense of other teams in our league who think they are big but aren't and teams who have great resources but don't do the best with them. Happy for you tonight, and Drury looks a decent prospect but he only looks about 6! Someone draw a beard on him and he will look the part.
BrewerInPeace
Trialist
Trialist
Favourite player: lee mansell

Post by BrewerInPeace »

I bet you've never had an easier win than that 4-1 last season, dreadful! Rowett's steadied us a bit now with a few decent defensive signings. Yes, we joked the same about Drury, makes Danny Stevens look old!