Exeter away on the big screen.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Plymouth Gull

Exeter away on the big screen.

Post by Plymouth Gull »

If you can't make it to SJP or don't want to stand on that doorstep they call a terrace then you can pay £10 to watch it on the big screen at Plainmoor. The £10 includes a curry and a pint, which isn't too bad really. Will be interested to see if many people turn up for this, and also, would it be possible to do this for other away games or just because its on Sky? I assume its the latter but I'd be willing to pay a tenner to watch us live on the screen at other games..
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

Definatly doing this would much rather my money going to TUFC than City plus it'l be much better than standing in there c**p away end
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Great idea, I do understand the whole not putting money into City aswell, however I hope to many do not use this as an excuse not to go. It's a local derby and our team need as many in the ground supporting them as possible, got my tickets will be there shouting loud and proud as should all who can make it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Not a big curry fan, but it's a good idea, I myself will definitely go to SJP as it's spitting distance from my house. I imagine the Football League would have something to say about showing away matches regularly on the Big Screen (if it were possible).
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

NickGull wrote:If you can't make it to SJP or don't want to stand on that doorstep they call a terrace then you can pay £10 to watch it on the big screen at Plainmoor. The £10 includes a curry and a pint, which isn't too bad really. Will be interested to see if many people turn up for this, and also, would it be possible to do this for other away games or just because its on Sky? I assume its the latter but I'd be willing to pay a tenner to watch us live on the screen at other games..
Got to be at the ground for this one, but if you can't its a nice alternative. The speakers aren't great at Plainmoor though....
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

It's quite a good idea, but can anybody tell me this; is this only possible because the game is on Sky? Because it seems to me that this sort of initiative would be far better suited to when we play and some godforsaken northern hellhole that only 100 people are going to be able to get to.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

happytorq wrote:It's quite a good idea, but can anybody tell me this; is this only possible because the game is on Sky? Because it seems to me that this sort of initiative would be far better suited to when we play and some godforsaken northern hellhole that only 100 people are going to be able to get to.
I think the simple answer is YES.

The only other times they have done something like this up at Plainmoor that I can recall was when we were live on Setanta - we won away at Oxford in the BSP and on Sky away at big spending Notts County when SGE had just take over and we upset all the odds by gaining a creditable but unlikely draw.

Dont think the Football League, or perhaps more pertinently the TV companies would allow any other live coverage.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

happytorq wrote:It's quite a good idea, but can anybody tell me this; is this only possible because the game is on Sky? Because it seems to me that this sort of initiative would be far better suited to when we play and some godforsaken northern hellhole that only 100 people are going to be able to get to.
Combined with unreasonably high ticket prices, do you not see that this would be a nail in the coffin of lower-league football?

Where do you draw the line on a long journey; 300 miles, 100, 50? People would get lazy and away attendance would dwindle away.

Thank goodness it isn't, and won't be allowed.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

jonnyfive wrote:Combined with unreasonably high ticket prices, do you not see that this would be a nail in the coffin of lower-league football?

Where do you draw the line on a long journey; 300 miles, 100, 50? People would get lazy and away attendance would dwindle away.

Thank goodness it isn't, and won't be allowed.
Except when it is, like Exeter, which is what - 28 miles away? Is that OK? Is the away attendance suffering there?

I honestly don't think away attendance would 'dwindle away', at least not for a club like Torquay that has a pretty strong away following. I know that when I was going to away games I loved the journey, stopping at a pub on the way up, all that stuff. But, there were frequently games that I couldn't get to, either for financial reasons or for logistics (I worked on saturdays).

Think it would be an interesting experiment, at least. I mean, for the far away games I'd bet that the majority of Torquay fans there are 'exiles' anyway, and therefore not people who'd stay away in favour of watching it on the big screen.

in any case, seems like a bit of a moot point given that the Exeter game is only being shown because it's on Sky.
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by jonnyfive »

happytorq wrote:Except when it is, like Exeter, which is what - 28 miles away? Is that OK? Is the away attendance suffering there?

in any case, seems like a bit of a moot point given that the Exeter game is only being shown because it's on Sky.

Answered your own question there buddy. People have the option to watch this one on Sky, so they will, and why shouldn't TUFC make a few quid from it?

Televising many or all lower league games would massively hit away attendances. Seems obvious to me.

Edited to fix quote (SG)
Alpine Joe
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Alpine Joe »

happytorq wrote:
It's quite a good idea, but can anybody tell me this; is this only possible because the game is on Sky? Because it seems to me that this sort of initiative would be far better suited to when we play and some godforsaken northern hellhole that only 100 people are going to be able to get to.

jonnyfive wrote
Combined with unreasonably high ticket prices, do you not see that this would be a nail in the coffin of lower-league football?

As a lower league football club I imagine we would love to be getting income every Saturday - instead of once every 2 weeks - by having a paying crowd at Plainmoor to watch the televised away games as well. I'm sure you'd generate a decent income by building up a regular crowd for the televised away matches, and of course it would be a huge benefit for those who can't afford the expense or time to give up their whole day to travel up north and back to attend a match.

It would be interesting to know how expensive it would be to beam the matches back from the northern hellholes. it probably wouldn't make economic sense for a comparatively small audience, but then again I assume all the weekend lower league games are captured in full by the cameras at the moment for the highlights programmes.

It may not be many more years before you can subscribe to the away matches as part of your Gullsplayer package, and watch them on your ipad.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by jonnyfive »

... and football as we know it will be dead and buried.

Great that we would have income every week. Had you considered that if other clubs follow the example, we will have s*d all away fans at Plainmoor? We would lose 150 peeps paying £20; can you guarantee 300 TUFC fans paying £10? I am also willing to bet that away fans spend more per head on food and programmes.

And furthermore, (in case anyone thought me ambivalent about the idea!), from where will people view the game? With binoculars and ear-trumpets in BB, or trudging all over the precious pitch?

Not knocking the plan to show our Sky games on the screen. I think it is a clever idea as an infrequent novelty.

I just resent any scheme which encourages armchair laziness, and sticks the boot into lower league football clubs, many of which are already struggling to survive. Streaming every single match will fatally wound the matchday experience.
gulltastic
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: o'kane

Post by gulltastic »

Im hopeing we are free to go buy more beers from the gulls nest and bring it back to wich ever stand we'l be watching the screen from, assuming the bench?
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Do we know if anyone is going to this?
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Called off due to a waterlogged pitch :lol:
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/