Plastic Pitch?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Plastic Pitch?

Post by Richinns »

I have heard rumours Simon Baker was on the news to confirm our interest in a plastic pitch at the cost of £600,000. I cannot find anything in the media about this however? (so chill out Bixie!)

Anyone have any more information about this and if true is the £600,000 right?

Have mixed feelings about this and much will depend on the development of artificial pitches as to whether this is a good idea or not!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
yellowmonkey
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowmonkey »

Would prefer the money put to better use in the transfer window than on an artificial pitch. Whatever next plastic fans or players?
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

oh, ffs. using the phrase "plastic pitch" is misleading and pejorative. (look it up)

Modern artificial turf is excellent. It given an even bounce, is very similar to grass, and is significantly cheaper to maintain than actual grass - also is practically impervious to the adverse weather conditions that can affect "real" pitches.

presumably you remember the pitches at Loftus Road in the 80s? or Clennon Valley now?

It's NOTHING LIKE THOSE. I've played football on the most modern of artificial surfaces, and it's excellent. There are 4 MLS teams who use the stuff, and despite some people complaining about it (much like I'm sure will happen here), most players are fine with it (those who aren't tend to be those who haven't actually played on it before. Like Thierry Henry, although I'm convinced he just doesn't like to travel *anywhere*).

I fully expect that in the next 20 years you'll see more and more pitches of this type put down. Hell, England have already played a Euro qualifier on one, and that wasn't even the most modern type.

With all that being said - spending £600k is a bit of a hefty expense. I'm not sure if it's something we should be doing just yet simply for budgetary reasons. Although that figure seems very high to me - I know of a couple of places who've had the stuff installed (indoor facilities, though) and from what I understand their cost was about $150,000. So a lot less.

[edit - haha. typo]
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

happytorq wrote:oh, ffs. using the phrase "plastic pitch" is misleading and perjorative. (look it up)

Modern artificial turf is excellent. It given an even bounce, is very similar to grass, and is significantly cheaper to maintain than actual grass - also is practically impervious to the adverse weather conditions that can affect "real" pitches.

presumably you remember the pitches at Loftus Road in the 80s? or Clennon Valley now?

It's NOTHING LIKE THOSE. I've played football on the most modern of artificial surfaces, and it's excellent. There are 4 MLS teams who use the stuff, and despite some people complaining about it (much like I'm sure will happen here), most players are fine with it (those who aren't tend to be those who haven't actually played on it before. Like Thierry Henry, although I'm convinced he just doesn't like to travel *anywhere*).

I fully expect that in the next 20 years you'll see more and more pitches of this type put down. Hell, England have already played a Euro qualifier on one, and that wasn't even the most modern type.

With all that being said - spending £600k is a bit of a hefty expense. I'm not sure if it's something we should be doing just yet simply for budgetary reasons. Although that figure seems very high to me - I know of a couple of places who've had the stuff installed (indoor facilities, though) and from what I understand their cost was about $150,000. So a lot less.
I wonder (like the new stand) if the FL help with the funding for such projects? If so this could be (in the long term) a gain overall. I must say - seeing the pitch in its current state only adds to the argument of such an idea and I have also read the leaps forward artificial surfaces have made (although I am not as knowledgeable about it as happy is!)
TUST member 328
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

might want to take a look at the official FIFA paper and guidelines about it:

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdevel ... er_342.pdf

(Warning - contains a picture of Sepp Blatter)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I heard that Simon Barker siad the cost was 700k and that he would expect to re-coup it in 5 years. I think it would be great. The club would have an asset that would be working for them 7 days a week. It could also help bring the community to the club.
TUST number 080
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

I can see the benefits for training and reserve games etc but how would it help bring the community to the club Lloyd?
TUST member 328
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

yellowmonkey wrote:Would prefer the money put to better use in the transfer window than on an artificial pitch. Whatever next plastic fans or players?

We've already got them, it's called the Premier League. :nod:

Like happy says, todays modern artificial pitches are a far cry from the ones of yesteryear ala QPR, Preston and Luton and indeed they are still widely used throughout eastern europe especially. The mighty Red Bull Salzburg had one up until a few years ago, we couldn't win on grass so we opted for plastic and still couldn't win so we went back to grass again! :clap:

I would like any 'spare' money to be spent on our player budget and not schemes like this which are unnecessary.I'm not objecting to having one just that it should be the last thing on our minds at the minute.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Maybe the club are looking at it as after an initial investment it could well pay for itself.
1. Only one groundsman needed as it only needs limited maintenance
2. No loss of revenue through abandoned games
3. Revenue saved in no longer having to relay the turf every summer
4. This is the most important if agreed by the council, the pitch can the be used at every other opportunity to other groups or to run say a five a side league playing across the pitch with the bar being open as they do at other establishments like Goals. It could be used in the evenings for mens teams to train on all at a cost. The list is endless ... Schools etc??
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by happytorq »

Richinns wrote:I can see the benefits for training and reserve games etc but how would it help bring the community to the club Lloyd?
In theory having an artificial pitch could mean that the club could use it for extra revenue; I mean, could imagine 7 a side leagues at Plainmoor? That would be brilliant.
Without having to worry about the state of the pitch, you can have much more happening on it during the week. You could see Plainmoor being used several times a week instead of just once or twice.

So that's could be what he's talking about regarding 'community'. Would be nice to have the Bewley Cup back at Plainmoor too.

Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Would it be 3G like the one at Ashmoor (South Dartmoor school)? Or better than that? Because that surface is great but is more like an astro turf sort.

If it was feasible, I don't think I'd be against it. With all the postponements this year and the other year too due to weather it would certainly stop the chances of a fixture pile-up like we have now. £600/700k does seem a bit steep at first but you could rent it out, perhaps? To local teams to train on? The surface wouldn't get worn really so there is always the possibility to do that.

However you do have to wonder if it'd be worth doing this if we are to keep spending money on developing Seale Hayne. We wouldn't need to train there if we had this sort of pitch...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Was going to do a thread on this when I woke from my n/shift slumber, you beat me to it Rich :)

Was watching south west news last night and watched the interview they did with Simon Baker from Plainmoor, what he said was a 3g pitch would cost in the region of £600,000 and suggested it would pay for itself in 3 years, he went on to say a 4g pitch would cost more.

I think what he was driving at is currently no club in any division is allowed to have an artificial pitch in England, he suggesting that it is something the F.A should look at to help lower division clubs who have been hit massively in the pocket due to the weather and a number of games postponements.

Having such a pitch would be a way of raising extra income and I think that was what Simon Baker was also driving at. But would we want such a pitch? How about looking at what Plymouth did, I think there pitch came in at a cost of £400,000 it is sand based and has built in drainage underneath, despite all this crap weather their pitch is still in mint condition and it's grass no substitute for grass no matter what.
Formerly known as forevertufc
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

If anyone wants to see the part of the news with this in http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 1_01_2013/ that's the link and skip to 18:20, I think the BBC are taking it down soon-ish though. :-/
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

If Plainmoor gets an artificial pitch ( :O ) I'll go and watch all my football at Home Park...