Exeter City v Torquay United - 28/1/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

austrianandygull wrote:Kingsteignton has been demolished Oxgull. It's now a huge TESCO.

WAAAA!!!!!!!!!!! that's my home :'( You think thats bad, I now live near Bicester and that is TESCO TOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oblivion!!!!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

oxgull wrote:What pub in KTN was that? I'm a KTN exile you see. Sandygate Inn was my local or maybe Dewdrop or that one by the chipshop at the fountain. Mind you that was back in 1977!!!!! :nod:
One of the best pints I ever had was at the Dewdrop, a long time ago, and it was Bass..!! But landlords knew how to look after their beer in those days, and to serve it at the right temperature..!!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bass, had a couple or 3 after the burton game in the legendary coopers tavern, trickled straight out of the barrel, absolutely delicious, one of my all time favourite beers, cant believe coors have nearly run it into the ground, was one of britains most popular pints, and the red triangle was the worlds first ever trademark i think?
still keeping the faith
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Hey Bix, i drew a massive picture of your avatar with the outline in black so my little un could colour it in. She loved it! I've always thought your avatar looked like it's been coloured in by a 4 year old so it made sense to copy it and colour! :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Another thing. Looking at exeweb there is a user called denzil who says, "Those players who were below par tonight are the same players who have been, for the most part, below par for the whole season".

Er, your in 4th place mate. I wish our players were as below par as yours. What a numpty!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

He is probably taking about their defence.
They have a goal machine in Cureton but, realistically, they are not much without him. He is their leading scorer, second in the league and has helped them pull some "rabbits out of the hat".
We are quite the opposite - we have an excellent defensive unit, but struggle at times going forwards.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

I watched the game on tele and whilst Bodin had an okay first half and won the penalty that got us the three points, he did absolutely nothing in the second half. When he was on loan last season, he was great for us. How a player with his potential can contribute so little so far this season is beyond me. Also - I am an admirer Damon Lathrope but I was surprised how many of his passes went astray tonight. You see things differently on the tele !
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Went to bed feeling very very happy. Got up this morning and still feeling very happy.

If Carlsberg did Feeling Happy.........................

NB: This post is definitely not intended to excite one of our Yank brothers :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

Great result and performance, especially from the middle pair of Lathrope and Mansell but also from the defence.

Having said that, every one of our players bust a gut in the game - the desire to come out top was evident inn every one - including Billy Bodin who had his best game for some considerable time.

We beat a very good footballing side by strangling them in midfield forcing them to play a longer ball game towards the end. For this reason, I was far less anxious in the last 15 minutes than most others. Had Exeter continued their ground passing game right to the end we would have conceded but Mansell and Lathrope forced the change of approach which made it easier for the defence who were consistently secure under the high ball.

For those who weren't there there was a very strong wind blowing from that dreadful terrace at the away end. It probably flattered us in the first half but certainly made it easier for Exeter to pin us back in the second.

Shame there weren't more Gulls fans there to witness it - 457 was a poor attendance although I can understand why some would be put off by that joke of an away terrace.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

The terrace was worse than I remembered!! At least in the PO games it was right behind the goal, not 5 metres back!

545 is poor but about what I expected. As I said had it been Saturday it would have been a four-figure following. Ah well, if it's a choice of less fans and 3 points or more fans and 0 points I know which one I like! And I'm just glad I was there :)

Credit to the fans though, reckon we made a good fist of making some atmosphere considering the circumstances. I'm still smiling.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Ooohhh it's so good having bragging rights at work today !
HRG
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by HRG »

Scary stuff towards the end, but the lads defended well, although some clearances had me concerned.
Certainly a hard fought and well deserved win that I hope spurs the team on for a good run of results. Looking forward to Cheltenham on Saturday!
I also hope Ling gets well soon and N.C is ok.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Phew.. Might make the difference between dogfight and comfort zone!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Enjoyed a fantastic night despite being treated like sheep before we got in. Agree with other fans that it's probably the worst away terrace I have been on with perhaps the exception of Hereford or Morecambe. Very proud of the players and the effort they put it - they were clearly fired up and gave Exeter little time on the ball which brought about mistakes and for once we learnt from our mistakes and ensured that Gow only got scraps to work with. I hope we have learnt the same lesson with McGlashan for Saturday at Cheltenham - possibly why I voice my concerns about this area of the pitch below. It was interesting to see the reaction of the Exeter fans to Tisdale after the match - some very hostile exchanges - nice bunch of fans!

I really only have two concerns with the team (Macklin will get back to form I am sure of it!) and I am sure I will face a bit of stick for this but hey, it's a forum for discussion. Personally I think Billy will improve as soon as his confidence does, quite how long this will take I am not sure but last night will have done him no harm at all! However, for a couple of seasons now I have been concerned about the Danny and Nicho combination on the left hand side of the pitch. Last night Nicholson's delivery was very poor again on more than once occasion and he looked to be struggling fitness wise towards the end of the game. I wonder if this is his last season in a Yellow shirt! I think we need something fresh in this area with some pace. I am confident we have conceded more goals from this side of the pitch than the other - perhaps the statto's can put me straight? In my opinion Danny is simply too slight for League 2 football. Great when he runs with the ball but only seems to have one foot, nearly always tries to check inside and sometimes only sticks a leg out when others are getting really stuck in. He also sometimes switches off and does not offer enough protection to Nicholson. I appreciate we are a league 2 side and perhaps we have got the best we can (a) afford and (b) is currently available - that said this is one area of the team I would really like to see some wholesale changes.

Again, I want to thank the team for their efforts last night. Felt proud to be a Gull again - nice to get that feeling back
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I think Nicholson and Stevens were poor last night. Macklin was terrible. I appreciate he has been out injured but as he has never been "in form" in his three years here. Its one of the problems with the squad Craig,Halpin,Macklin,Stevens - plenty of wingers but none of them are any good. Disappointed that Thompson wasn't on the bench last night. He is raw but I am sure he would have made more impact given the space afforded by Exteres defence in the second half last night.
Really the game was won by our better and bigger players last night - Poke,Saah,Downes,Mansell,Howe and Bodin. We just need a bit more quality to go with these players.