Cheltenham Town v Torquay United - 2/2/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

Thanks Smiffy, and I would not be at all surprised if you won.

Darren Carter used to play for Birmingham and West Brom (so he hasn't spent much time in L2) but he suffered a horrific injury which kept him out all of last season. He is rebuilding his career with us.

He has yet to hit top form which he recognises himself, but he will improve as the season progresses, which is why I think Yates was keen to make a cheeky £100k + Rooney in exchange for an out-of-form player whose contract runs out in the summer.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

How annoying for me - agreed to take the missus away to the Cotswolds this weekend, then checked the fixture list and realised where we are playing! So although I'll be minutes away, I won't be at the game!

(And before anyone comes up with "bring her along", shes been to 2 TUFC games in her life - Southend 2-1 Torquay 2 seasons ago which ended out long unbeaten run, and Stevenage 1-0 Torquay at Old Trafford. I think you'll appreciate why she's not allowed to come with me anymore!)
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Stay well away Jeff! Don't want your missus near the game!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

She's almost as bad as me! I won't be there today though so we'll win.

Hoping for a good result today to cheer me up as i have some serious GERD going off at the mo and it's getting on my friggin nerves!!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Just decided to go. Getting train from Bristol soon. Anybody going to any pubs?
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

off out on piss at half two so i will be largely absent from the forum, think it'll be a toughie, glad that midfielder with the sensible haircut has left them, thought we was superb in the game at plainmoor, expecting nicho to have his toughest test this season, should be a decent turnout, some mates from torquay are up for a stag do, should be in nam by 10 and back to the bay after the game, rumoured to be 40 or so of them coming up, but dont think all are football bound?

so expcting a defeat as i was on monday, hopefully i'll be as surprised today as i was then!! 1-2 to us!!
still keeping the faith
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

Really difficult game today against a Cheltenham side full of quality. In Jombati, McGlashan and Benson they have players right up there with the best in their respective positions for League 2. Elliott will fancy a physical battle with Howe, but let's hope Rene can continue his goalscoring form (another penalty would do nicely!). Carter must also be an excellent player to have ousted Pack from the side.

We need our pressing game to be every bit as good as on Monday, otherwise McGlashan and Mohamed will run riot against the vulnerable Nicholson and Oastler, and Harrad and Benson will be on hand to put the chances away. 2/3 goal defeat for me....or a sneaky late winner for us!
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Cheltenham (4-4-2): 1 Scott Brown; 22 Sido Jombati, 2 Keith Lowe, 6 Steve Elliott, 27 Michael Hector; 11 Jermaine McGlashan, 16 Russell Penn, 25 Jason Taylor, 23 Kaid Mohamed; 14 Shaun Harrad, 19 Paul Benson. Substitutes: 4 Darren Carter, 8 Sam Deering, 9 Darryl Duffy, 12 Connor Roberts (GK), 24 Luke McCullough, 29 Byron Harrison, 34 Joe Hanks.

Gulls (4-4-1-1): 1 Michael Poke; 2 Joe Oastler, 5 Brian Saah, 4 Aaron Downes, 3 Kevin Nicholson; 20 Nathan Craig, 7 Lee Mansell (capt), 6 Damon Lathrope, 15 Billy Bodin; 8 Ryan Jarvis, 9 Rene Howe. Substitutes: 13 Martin Rice (GK), 14 Lloyd Macklin, 16 Angus MacDonald, 18 Craig Easton, 19 Danny Stevens, 21 Thomas Cruise, 23 Ashley Yeoman.
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Where's Bix? Out on the p*ss the selfish git! What about us lot on here who need to know what's going on at Whaddon Road?

Come on the lads!!!

(can i make stuff up to make it sound as though we are playing?)

Howe has just smashed one against the bar from the edge of the area! We're well on top here! :lol:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

PlainmoorRoar wrote:Cheltenham (4-4-2): 1 Scott Brown; 22 Sido Jombati, 2 Keith Lowe, 6 Steve Elliott, 27 Michael Hector; 11 Jermaine McGlashan, 16 Russell Penn, 25 Jason Taylor, 23 Kaid Mohamed; 14 Shaun Harrad, 19 Paul Benson. Substitutes: 4 Darren Carter, 8 Sam Deering, 9 Darryl Duffy, 12 Connor Roberts (GK), 24 Luke McCullough, 29 Byron Harrison, 34 Joe Hanks.

Gulls (4-4-1-1): 1 Michael Poke; 2 Joe Oastler, 5 Brian Saah, 4 Aaron Downes, 3 Kevin Nicholson; 20 Nathan Craig, 7 Lee Mansell (capt), 6 Damon Lathrope, 15 Billy Bodin; 8 Ryan Jarvis, 9 Rene Howe. Substitutes: 13 Martin Rice (GK), 14 Lloyd Macklin, 16 Angus MacDonald, 18 Craig Easton, 19 Danny Stevens, 21 Thomas Cruise, 23 Ashley Yeoman.

How defensive is THIS?!! Not happy. Glad i didn't go as it will a drab, backs to the wall affair with no chances for us.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Chris B »

It's unchanged from Monday, Andy, and we did pretty well then against a similarly placed side!

Cheltenham have been largely on top, but we're doing ok and Poke hasn't had too much to do. The Yellow Army just made themselves heard.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

it should be the same as Exeter Andy, its a 4-2-3-1 really (all the top teams play it ;-) )
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Chris B »

1-0 Cheltenham, Keith Low header from a corner
devonboy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by devonboy »

on the cards for quite some time according to SSN :@
COME ON UNITED
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Sorry all, for some reason i missed Jarvis. :-/

Bugger about the goal and still glad i didn't go! :-D