Torquay United v Fleetwood Town - 9/2/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

I agree with modgull. The team effort was good, especially in the first half when we certainly strung more than three passes together on several occasions. I dont think the players deserved the "boo" at the end of the game. We had far more chances than we did at Cheltenham and so thats got to be an improvement.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

brucie wrote:Modgull - I cannot actually be wrong if I predicted that we would lose which we did. Its good to see Leadbitter played well again, but you have got to ask why isn't he in the team on a regular basis.
We all know Craig cannot play on the wing - as the last poster said we need a change of tactics with 4-4-2 at home. Thompson and Bodin on the wings with Howe and a decent loan signing up front.
We need to play to our strengths and give Howe some support up front. We are not going to win games playing Jarvis and Yeoman up front.
We njeed to start picking up points and fast.
Because, Terry, we were not a shambles! Nowhere near it. It was a good performance and an entertaining game. As you know I am prepared to criticise when there is good cause - and I agree that Craig should not play on the wing - but this was not the time to be a doom-monger especially when you weren't even there to see it!!!!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
dazgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jean-Pierre Simb

Post by dazgull »

There was plenty of effort of that you could not say but too much in the second half we gave the ball away far too easily. Today there was no Howe so we had to play to the feet of Jarvis and Yeoman but i would be amazed if our midfield duo gave the 5 passes all game to run on to. Would be so different if Craig was in there and Macklin/Thompson on the right wing.

Im not a fan of Jarvis but actually felt sorry for him as he never stood a chance. Craig was our best player over sept/oct when we got our most wins and best performances, its criminal he is wasted out wide although he can cross superbly but he isnt going to beat a fullback.

To get a result out of Fleetwood or Rotherham we needed one of them not to be at their best, Fleetwood werent at their best today and went home with victory. Their manager could see Bodin was good in first half and did something about it, ours continued for ever and ever doing Plan A until he probably had a text from Ling saying get Stevens on :'(

Fatboy will have got a report on this today and will see Jarvis and Yeoman up front on tuesday and say...........thank you very much!!
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

Just got back from my first TUFC game this season.

Did we deserve to lose? No
Did we deserve a win? No

1-1 would've been a fair result and we had the chances to do it but their goalie and the ref put paid to that.

The two penalty shouts - the first was a stonewall penalty. Shot comes in from outside the box after a bit of pinball action, defender blocks the on target shot with a stranded goalie using his fully outstretched arms. I don't think it was intentional, but a definite penalty.

The second one was a nudge in the back of Leadbitter who had his back to goal and wasn't really going anywhere. A foul, but probably a bit harsh for a penalty.

The ref was awful, he only made decisions when he heard one team of players shout loudly. He even once overruled the linesman on the Bench side because the Fleetwood players whinged. The linesman had it spot on. I'm told by the guy sat next to me that he was one of the better ones...

As for the performances, I was impressed by Downes, Leadbitter and Jarvis. Downes was a rock, nothing got past him. Leadbitter fought and defended well and then made a good winger. Certainly adds more than Craig does on the right, who should never be playing in that position. Jarvis, despite being a useless footballer, battled for everything. An all action display from him.

Poke - 7/10 - Composed and assured. Seemed to leave the ball to go wide for the goal though.

Leadbitter - 8/10 - Very much enjoyed his forward runs.
Downes - 9/10 - Solid as a rock, deserved MOTM.
Saah - 7/10 - Played well but I didn't feel confident of him, caught out a couple times.
Nico - 7/10 - No pace or fitness anymore, but rarely got beaten to the ball.

Bodin - 7/10 - Wasn't as bad as many have said, a few decent runs, tricks and flicks.
Craig - 6/10 - Totally out of position, defended well and linked up with Leadbitter well but offered nothing going forward.
Mansell - 5/10 - Wasn't impressed, always second to the ball and can't pass more than 10 yards.
Lathrope - 4/10 - Same as Manse but even more tackle shy. Only things he did well was to drop back in the hole and play some passes around.

Jarvis - 8/10 - Despite having no idea where the goal is, he battled hard in a role he isn't used to. If he was actually a striker with a decent partner he could be useful.
Yeoman - 6/10 - Tried a few things but will never be good enough. Just has no cutting edge at all. Aside from a nice curled effort in the second half, he didn't offer much.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

I can't say I agree with others that Fleetwood were poor. I thought they were one of the best sides to visit this year. They kept the ball well and made fewer unforced errors than most teams at this level. I suspect they play the same style most games which is why they are proving difficult to beat.

I have to agree with Cambgull, Manse probably gave the ball away more times than the entire Fleetwood team 8/

Having said that Torquay looked fitter than in previous games and several players really put in a shift. I though Ryan jarvis in particular showed real commitment with crap service overal, but he just did not give up and must be knackered tonight

It is easy to say in hindsight, but the subs were on a little late in my opinion to make a difference....having said all of that we will play worse this season and get points
Plymouthgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Branston

Post by Plymouthgull »

Did'nt go today - listened on the radio. Must say I never thought we would score once we went behind. I no longer have any faith in Ling or Taylor. Tactics are predicatable and largely ineffective and I believe we are in a relegation battle.
This is the first season I have not wanted to go to Plainmoor regularly for a numbr of years. Its because what Ling serves up in boring. Sick of seeing the oppostion dominate possession for long periods.
I know I will be criticised and accused of being a doom merchant but I really think its time for a change. Improved ground, big screen and possibly conference football, ther's a thought. - hope time proves that the board got its strategy right, but......
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I think I must have been at a different game today than some. I thought we were 2nd best to a very ordinary Fleetwood team, who barely had to move into 2nd gear to beat us. We cold still be playing now and we still would be looking foran equaliser. It was all so depressingly predictable. We hit the bar but Fleetwood also had a goal disallowed, so in the end the better team won.

We are in a relegation battle. Without a manager, without enough goals in us and without any decent form behind us. Those who point to games in hand fail to acknowledge that we actually have to win them and that is something we have only managed THREE times since October.

There are those who are deluded or complacent enough to suggest that we will be ok. But that lack of realism is seeing us get overhauled by a range of teams and we are now only 5 clear of Plymouth.

I felt irritated by Shaun Taylor's assertion that we played well. In my iew we didn't. We were poor and toothless in attack. Saah and Downes, once again, stood out but out of the remaining players nobody really played well. I would not expect us to get anything from a game against Rotherham on Tuesday, especially if we have not signed anyone.
tauntongull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by tauntongull »

Not much to say really that hasn't't been said 100's of times before - some will think we played really well and will argue this against those that didn't.

For me football is simple, score goals and win games that's it. At the moment I can't see goals coming in our current setup. We had several shots today many of which were directly at their keeper - either side was a goal. A couple of good saves but nothing too amazing in Fleeteood's performance. Defensively I feel we handled them well.liked Macklin and Leadbitter on the right - want the left side if the pitch changed a.s.a.p - want to see the back of Nicholson and Stevens - Nicholson potentially at fault for their goal again today and Stevens largely ineffective again!! Agree with everyone that Craig needs to be central.

There were numerous calls from the family stand to put Downes up front AKA Ellis Style - as everyone felt that was the only place a goal was going to come from - that's a real issue.

If I hear this "we overachieved" stuff any more I am going to scream. I want us to be pushing for promotion every season and i'm not going to let any manager have an easy ride.This is our club and when you're long gone I'll still be here.

Saw Sean Taylor discussing tactics with Kenny Veysey which made me laugh. I am starting to really feel we don't have any after seeing the same thing time and time again,

I fear the next couple of months are not going to be pleasant and it may take more than a rallying cry from the optimists to save our skin if things don't change and fast.
May not be the original, but I am the best 'TauntonGull' .... See I can do signatures too, coz I am a real boy!
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

PlainmoorRoar wrote: Poke badly at fault for the goal too

Agree Neal, Bodin had a good first half!

Stevens was a poor sub, should have used thompson
just seen the goal on sky. that was a softy.poke definitely at least partially to blame.looked like he thought it was going wide. didnt get accross the goal well enough.
:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lets get one thing clear, attitude/effort/application wise first class from the team no complaints at all, quailty/decision making, poor really, really poor. Yes we forced 5 saves from the Fleetwood keeper, shots hit straight at him regulation saves for a pro keeper of any level.

Exeter in the last game and Fleetwood today managed to keep the ball down for large parts of the game, why on why are we insisting on hoofing it, would not have been so bad if Rene had been on the park, but whacking it up to Yoeman/Jarvis they both battled, but had no hope as niether have the stature to win an ariel battle against the Fleetwood defenders.

Poke no doubt miss-judged it for there goal, but more than made up for it with two first class saves, Aaron Downes once again head and shoulders above anything on the park, Yoeman bright through out, Leadbitter for Oastler please.

Billy Bodin has had a lot of stick so far this season, however today it really did look like the old Billy Bodin from last season is on the way back, Bags of effort caused problems through out.

And finaly a plea, Nathan Criag looks like a lost soul out on the wing, no I am not a professional football coach/manager but fork me do you need to be one to see it, if he is not good enough to be selected to play in the middle, do not play him at all.
Formerly known as forevertufc
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Plymouth gull - shame on you for not going. I mean its exciting stuff - the last two matches I went to (southend/wimbledon) there were goals a plenty. I mean in the Southend game we played really well and were unlucky. I mean if the opposition hadn't scored four we would have won.
Same as the Wimbledon match - bugger me Rene almost won us a point. If the bloody ref had blown his full time whistle thirty seconds earlier we would have got a draw - unlucky or what?
Look we beat Exeter on tv last week didn't we. Put one over on Tisdale all right. According to Bill Phillips that has set us up nicely for a run at the play offs.
Didn't go today but missed a treat by the sound of it - I mean its quite unusual for us to go a goal down and not get back in the match. Was expecting Ryan and Ashley to start banging them in.
Can't wait for Tuesday. I am going and after everyone's reports today its only a matter of time before we hammer somebody and what better place to start than Plainmoor against Rotherham in front of a big crowd.
I mean what do Evans and Raynor know about football - we have got Taylor and Veysey at the helm. Lets face it Taylor is uglier than the gruesome twosome put together.
All this talk of a relegation scrap. Its all bollocks - look at Plymouth, they are crap. Signed seven players and havn't lost a match since they changed their manager. Bloody fluke or what?
We have just had some bad luck thats all - on another day we would have beaten Harrogate :-D
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

forevertufc wrote:Lets get one thing clear, attitude/effort/application wise first class from the team no complaints at all, quailty/decision making, poor really, really poor. Yes we forced 5 saves from the Fleetwood keeper, shots hit straight at him regulation saves for a pro keeper of any level.

Exeter in the last game and Fleetwood today managed to keep the ball down for large parts of the game, why on why are we insisting on hoofing it, would not have been so bad if Rene had been on the park, but whacking it up to Yoeman/Jarvis they both battled, but had no hope as niether have the stature to win an ariel battle against the Fleetwood defenders.

Poke no doubt miss-judged it for there goal, but more than made up for it with two first class saves, Aaron Downes once again head and shoulders above anything on the park, Yoeman bright through out, Leadbitter for Oastler please.

Billy Bodin has had a lot of stick so far this season, however today it really did look like the old Billy Bodin from last season is on the way back, Bags of effort caused problems through out.And finaly a plea, Nathan Criag looks like a lost soul out on the wing, no I am not a professional football coach/manager but fork me do you need to be one to see it, if he is not good enough to be selected to play in the middle, do not play him at all.

Genuinely pleased to hear this. It seems he has had 3 decent performances on the spin but still not quite getting there. At least it does look as though we may get a breakthrough with him sooner or later and hopefully when he scores one some more will follow. To be fair it's been an awful season which he has been part of but in a team doing well and full of confidence we might see Billy emerge. Sadly i can't see Torquay playing confident free flowing football anytime this season but at least he's getting stuck in for the fight it would appear.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Glostergull wrote:Afternoon everyone. Lets get behind the boys. Shame we cant all pack the goalmouth and prevent em scoring but there again.
Andy. I cannot even begin to think that London is worse than Accrington, Burnley. Barnsley. Or even Blackpool. now they are dumps. London at least does have some venues I do want to go to somnetimes at least, and none of them involve your colon. Yuk. What a thought. Mind you I did have half of mine removed. I only have a semi colon left now.

Lets cheer the boys on today as best we can from wherever we are.
We could not expect every season to be like Manure or Chelski. We get a bad season now and then. as long as it's not every season or every other season I can accept that. We have had a good run. we are just below mid table and not on the bottom as we used to be.
I think it will be 0-0 but we may just nick it.it will be tight I think though.
steady gloster. :@

dont talk wet.

your town isnt exactly like 2 weeks in barbados............
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Although my post was positive I must say I'm getting bored too. But its not only TUFC, I'm getting bored with Football in general. Maybe its an age thing and I've seen so much and heard it all. Its now repetitive and boring. The so called pundits bore me to tears, talk garbish and just try to make it interesting when mostly it ain't.

Participating in sport is 100% more exciting and challenging than watching and I do my best to do that. Going to football is dropping down my list of interests unfortunately.
TUST MEMBER
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Neal wrote:Although my post was positive I must say I'm getting bored too. But its not only TUFC, I'm getting bored with Football in general. Maybe its an age thing and I've seen so much and heard it all. Its now repetitive and boring. The so called pundits bore me to tears, talk garbish and just try to make it interesting when mostly it ain't.

Participating in sport is 100% more exciting and challenging than watching and I do my best to do that. Going to football is dropping down my list of interests unfortunately.
I have to agree Neal, there is nothing better than a matchday approaching, the plans you make, the anticipation of what you are going to experience and the whole aspect of going to a game. Sadly it usually ends in coming out of the ground frustrated and wondering why did you bother. Even when i have seen a Torquay win it has been the overall bad performance that is left in my mouth and i still feel unfulfilled. That is why i keep going back to the Burton game in January because it was as entertaining a game i've seen us play in 2 years and although we lost i left the ground feeling i'd been satisfied from a footballing perspective.

In addition, whenever i watch Premier League football i find it dull. It's just the stop start nature of it with players getting tickled and going down like a sack of spuds. I could handle it before when it first started as it was infrequent but now it is a tactic and part of the game and it's not football anymore. A hard fair tackle always results in the other player rolling around afterwards clutching his leg. Even if there had been contact, half the time it's just a bit of pain and they should get up and get on with it. They are men.

International football is the worst culprit. It should be stopped and not just because Austria are sh*t but because nobody really gives a toss anymore in terms of the players. I would much rather watch a world cup of secondary nations, nations like Austria and Finland and the like who would really care and go for it instead of world stars prancing about playing tippy tappy. Spain play possession winning football but they make me fall asleep.

I love football and i love matchdays and i wouldn't have anything else in my life that could replace it apart from horse racing maybe but i'll keep the faith in the hope that i can see a scintillating Torquay game more than once every season.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.