The sooner we get a coach in the better...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickfrench
New Signing
New Signing

Post by nickfrench »

From what I have heard, and it could be a million miles away from the truth, but given where it has come from I believe it to be credible, is that Lingy has been diagnosed with a very serious illness and will NOT be returning to the club, but the club can't be seen to push him out, nor do they want to. They are actively seeking a new manager to take charge of the first team, ideally on a short term basis to give Martin time to have treatment and offer him the chance to return in the summer if he is in the right shape to come back.
My personal opinion is that I cannot see him fighting this, and then choosing to commute in the same way as he has been doing, and I would anticipate a new, full time manager in the summer, whether it will be the same person who takes over for the next few months, who knows...
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

If that is indeed true then all the negativity on this forum should be shoved aside for what it is Horsemuck.
If Martin has something that serious, then it likely that the boys know about it and have been told to keep quiet for the moment. It may have been common knowledge for some time.
In which case we have only one resposibility. That is to support the club in a way we have never done before. we should turn up in huge numbers and encourage the team on in a way we never thought possible. If you want to treat this as a rallying battle cry then so be it. I make no apologies at all.
It needs to be said. We don't really know what the matter is. But if it is really serious (and we have been there before. ) then it is behoven to us to put aside our differences and bring back the Plainmoor roar. The lads need it now more than ever, I doubt anyone is able to really put his mind at rest or concentrate 100% on the game when that is going on behind the scenes. We don't really need to know all the nitty gritty. We just need to do our part and cheer on the Yellows. That will be a fitting tribute to all that Martin has achieved in the time he has been here. Cheer so loudly that he can hear from home or wherever he is.
I do hope that nothing really serious happens but if it does. We can rest in the knowledge we have done our part. and blow if we end up in BSP. it won't matter a jot agains't life and health. We can rebuild. At least the club will be here even if others may not.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

I'll ask leroy if he has any plans then?
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

gloster that is the best post yet, people need to read that, he has hit the nail on the head, instead of all this bleating about not going to watch the team and us ended up in the bsp, so what its a game of football and it will still be there long after we are all gone.
he is right the bloody people of torbay and devon need to support the club and get up to plainmoor and give it there all, im with you on this one gloster, lets do it for lingy. :bow: :scarf:
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Gloster, that is a top comment.

I'd relegate us now if it meant Ling got back to full health.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

nickfrench wrote:From what I have heard, and it could be a million miles away from the truth, but given where it has come from I believe it to be credible, is that Lingy has been diagnosed with a very serious illness and will NOT be returning to the club, but the club can't be seen to push him out, nor do they want to. They are actively seeking a new manager to take charge of the first team, ideally on a short term basis to give Martin time to have treatment and offer him the chance to return in the summer if he is in the right shape to come back.
My personal opinion is that I cannot see him fighting this, and then choosing to commute in the same way as he has been doing, and I would anticipate a new, full time manager in the summer, whether it will be the same person who takes over for the next few months, who knows...

Nick Sent you a PM read it ASAP
david gravy

Post by david gravy »

Comments such as " I will take relegation if it means Ling gets back to full health" are actually cringeworthy. Its about the same as suggesting we might be losing every week because the players are worried about the managers condition.
Its really all speculation in any case as the board seem to be suggesting that they are hopeful that the manager is able to return next season.
Everyone of course wishes Martin LIng all the best and his health is more important than a game of football.
That said we have made major improvements to the ground and relegation would be an absolute disaster. Its up to the board to appoint a motivator who can instill some fight in the players for starters and it is up to them to give the fans something to cheer about.
A line needs to be drawn between Lings health problems and our fight against the drop which are from now on basically two separate entities.
Hand wringing is going to get us nowhere - the team has been poor for alot longer than the manager has been ill. Its time for the players to face up and front up.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Robiberto22 wrote:I'll ask leroy if he has any plans then?
Leroy isn't the man to get us out of this situation. We need someone urgently. BUT it needs to be the right person. There is no point getting someone in on the basis he was well liked here before. It needs to be someone who will shove a rocket up the players and get them going again. Someone like Coleman who knows how to work on a budget or Westley if he'd be willing someone who wont take any crap and get us out of this mess.

I dont have any bad feelings towards Taylor he wasnt here to manage the team on his own he was here as an assistant so I think its unfair to get on his back too much listening to his interviews is enough to know he isnt managerial material.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

david gravy wrote:Comments such as " I will take relegation if it means Ling gets back to full health" are actually cringeworthy. Its about the same as suggesting we might be losing every week because the players are worried about the managers condition.
Its really all speculation in any case as the board seem to be suggesting that they are hopeful that the manager is able to return next season.
Everyone of course wishes Martin LIng all the best and his health is more important than a game of football.
That said we have made major improvements to the ground and relegation would be an absolute disaster. Its up to the board to appoint a motivator who can instill some fight in the players for starters and it is up to them to give the fans something to cheer about.
A line needs to be drawn between Lings health problems and our fight against the drop which are from now on basically two separate entities.
Hand wringing is going to get us nowhere - the team has been poor for alot longer than the manager has been ill. Its time for the players to face up and front up.

That's just as much conjecture as is the statement of what we believe Martin illness is. Can I possibly suggest that we only knew after a few weeks had elapsed and that was more than likely a fair while after Martin knew he was ill.
I would suggest this has been brewing for quite a long time. Longer than we ever knew.
I stand by my previous posting,...... The battle lines are drawn. The club needs you :-D
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

just found this whilst having a little look aroud the net. cant see it being true personally.

http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/TorquayUnited.php
14 Feb 2013 16:12:39
Torquay manager Martin Ling will resign from the club in order to take care of his health. The former Leyton Orient and Cambridge boss has been ill over the last few weeks and is keen on getting back into football once healthy. He has been told he is welcome back in a directorial role.
Stoke City assistant manager Dave Kemp is line to make a return to management after successful talks with United. Kemp has managed Plymouth Argyle in the past and is wanting another bite at the cherry. Kemp is also very good friends with Martin Ling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask any Oxford fan about Dave Kemp. Seen as the worst manager in the history of the club

another fan site has pictures of graham westley next to its news headlines but doesnt say anything about him.
dont know how i would feel about either of these two to be honest.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Cant see it being true to be honest. I doubt we would hire someone with next to none managerial history to try and get us out of a relegation scrap.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

chunkygull wrote:just found this whilst having a little look aroud the net. cant see it being true personally.

http://www.football-rumours.co.uk/TorquayUnited.php
14 Feb 2013 16:12:39
Torquay manager Martin Ling will resign from the club in order to take care of his health. The former Leyton Orient and Cambridge boss has been ill over the last few weeks and is keen on getting back into football once healthy. He has been told he is welcome back in a directorial role.
Stoke City assistant manager Dave Kemp is line to make a return to management after successful talks with United. Kemp has managed Plymouth Argyle in the past and is wanting another bite at the cherry. Kemp is also very good friends with Martin Ling.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ask any Oxford fan about Dave Kemp. Seen as the worst manager in the history of the club

another fan site has pictures of graham westley next to its news headlines but doesnt say anything about him.
dont know how i would feel about either of these two to be honest.

:scarf:
Kemp would be a disaster. There would be no grounds at all for appointing him. This is surely and hopefully nonsense.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

david gravy wrote:Comments such as " I will take relegation if it means Ling gets back to full health" are actually cringeworthy. Its about the same as suggesting we might be losing every week because the players are worried about the managers condition.
You've missed the point really. Neither myself or Gloster were suggesting that us getting relegated was something we wanted to happen. Neither were we even close to suggesting that the players may or may not be affected by his absence. That's not the point we were making.

I don't really get your comment as you then go on to agree with us that his health is more important than football. That's what me and Gloster are trying to say! I was merely saying that I would accept any terrors on the football pitch if it meant ANY person could get back to their full health. It was just a way of showing how irrelevant football really is.

Of course I know it would be a relative disaster for us to go down and I don't wish for it to happen!

I didn't think I'd have to explain my comment from earlier...
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i would love to see leroy back, he can motivate people, he wont take any nonsense and he doesnt suffer fools, the guy knows what is needed.its nothing to do with liking somebody as was said, but i think he could get us back up and running again, and he has the contacts.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

I don't care who we get as long as he is attack minded.

The football that we are playing at the moment is dire.
TUST No 278