Contracts?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Chris B
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by Chris B »

I agree with CP - the wide players are most at risk of being released.

I've often defended Stevens, and maintain he's one of our better footballers, but he's showing no confidence and is definitely chunkier than he was. At 26, and with as many appearances under his belt as he has, he's one of our senior players and should've matured as such. This season, injuries notwithstanding, there's been little sign of that, so it might be time to part with him.

One of the biggest flaws in our game this campaign has been our inability to stop crosses from wide areas. During his time at the club Oastler has bafflingly gone from a fairly immobile defensive midfielder/centre back cover, to a really conservative full back, to an attacking wing-back incapable of defending. Nicholson has obviously struggled, too, which is sad given his incredible effort and weight loss over the summer. It would be harsh to release Leadbitter after his promising performances, and Cruise has hardly been given a chance, but we definitely need to be much stronger at LB and RB. Ling has to decide whether or not we already have the answers in the building!

Controlling the game in central midfield has also been a huge issue. Everyone can see Manse has had a difficult time after his heroics last season. Easton, likeable though he is, doesn't play with the assuredness I'd hope to see from an experienced campaigner. Lathrope, meanwhile, has had a shocker. He offers nothing going forward, and this season has hardly offered protection to the exposed but brilliant Downes and Saah (sign them up!). When under the cosh, as we are on a gamely basis, you don't just throw on someone pacy like Thompson, you need someone to carry the ball out and play the right pass at the right time. Eunan was outstanding at starting counter attacks in this way.
Sneapy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by Sneapy »

Not sure if you already have a thread on this, but what are the current contracts, and whose run out this season?

just found this....

"There's a big set of players, 16 in all I think, out of contract at the end of the season," said Ling,

Read more: http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/Torqu ... z2Kt6fpgC8
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

*Topic Merged*

We do indeed have 16 out of contract player's but I feel its the right to to have a whole reshuffle. Perhaps keeping hold of 8.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Now that Ling is out for the season. Who is going to negotiate the contracts. This whole senario in my opinion will make it harder to keep hold of Howe, downes etc.
Lucy
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Yellow4life wrote:*Topic Merged*

We do indeed have 16 out of contract player's.
Really?
My stats must be out of kilter... as I have 13 players contracted until Summer '14!
Poke
Oastler
Nico
Saah
Lathrope
Manse
Howe
Morris
Leadbitter
Bodin
Halpin
Stevens
Craig

Expire this summer ('13):
Downes
Jarvis
Rice
Macklin
Easton
Cruise
Yeoman
Thonpson*
MacKenzie*

Loan ends Summer (13):
MacDonald
Baker

*Of the two lads mentioned as being offered 2 year pro contracts... was there any decision made by them? Wasn't sure it had been confirmed they'd accepted!

Happy to be corrected on these listings... as I like to keep a record of such things.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Bloggy; the link in the opening post is an up to date list. I think we have 6/7 players under contract past this summer.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bloggy »

Thanks Nick. I realise that. It's why I was confused by my records not being correct!
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Bloggy wrote:
Really?
My stats must be out of kilter... as I have 13 players contracted until Summer '14!
Poke
Oastler
Nico
Saah
Lathrope
Manse
Howe
Morris
Leadbitter
Bodin
Halpin
Stevens
Craig

Expire this summer ('13):
Downes
Jarvis
Rice
Macklin
Easton
Cruise
Yeoman
Thonpson*
MacKenzie*

Loan ends Summer (13):
MacDonald
Baker

*Of the two lads mentioned as being offered 2 year pro contracts... was there any decision made by them? Wasn't sure it had been confirmed they'd accepted!

Happy to be corrected on these listings... as I like to keep a record of such things.
Oh dear Bloggy, what happened? Your records seem to be all over the shop there mate.

I think the link in the OP is spot on, although I do think both McKenzie and Thompson got 2 year deals last summer I.e. to 2014 rather than 2013. So with those two on board, plus youngsters Sullivan and Hutchings, by my reckoning the only other players under contract beyond this summer are Poke, Nico, Manse, Lathrope, Craig and Bodin. So, just ten in total.

Whilst it may well be quite a good thing, it is a bit of a mess in all honesty. Whoever the Manager is beyond the end of this season, be that Lingy or whoever, they will have quite a job on their hands sorting out a retained list ad then trying to re negotiate contracts with those he wishes to keep ... before we came even start to think about adding to the squad. Personally, I think some of these decisions hold have been made in January, particularly with regard to those players not being kept on.

Of course, having said that, two months ago the idea of thinking about who we might release if we are still in the League, but keep if we are in the BSP next season, may well not have been even a consideration.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bloggy »

I know CP. Shocking housekeeping. Must have been an administrative error...
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

i cant see jarvis, easton being here, we should let lathrope go, i think danny and nico could be surplus to requirements, downes and howe need to be signed as they along with pokey have been far the best players, downes for player of the season.
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

In all honesty I think they already know who we want to stay on. Would imagine Ling would have spoken about it already to people. Giving a few players a last chance to earn a new contract. Let's be honest, half the players won't want to sign a new deal if we risk going down. I honestly think Downes, poke and how's will stay. All getting first team football and I imagine will all get a pay rise as they will be key players next season.
A lot of clubs will be I'm the same situation, not all of us have loads of money and won't know our budgets. Perfectly normal for clubs these days to wait until the end of the season, yes you run the risk of them leaving but I can't see many looking to move away unless they are told to move on. Or if were relegated.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

The two young lads have both signed sullivans starts 1st July, Hutchings got a 2 and a half year contract which I think started in January.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Nial and kirtys have indeed got another year remaining on their contracts.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

If I were Dinger-Ling...

Keepers
Oastler - Young player who has suffered with some bad form but will I think grow to become a good L1/L2 level player - 1 year with option.
Downes - Potential player of the season, definitely needs a two year contract.
Saah - One of the most dependable centre-halfs I can remember at TQ1, definitely a two year contract.
Howe - Double-figure goalscorers are rare in a Torquay shirt, two years please.
Morris - Divides the terraces but is, I think a quality player. Offer him a one year deal and let's see how he is after this injury.
Leadbitter - Has come in for the out of form Oastler and done well, still growing as a player, offer him a one year deal and lets see the progression continue.
Rice - Probably the cheapest back up 'keeper in the league and despite the detractors I've never seen a bad report for him from any of the (reserve) games he's played. Maybe a 1 year rolling contract until something special jumps out from the youth pack.
Cruise - Showing promise, as with Leadbitter, a 1 year deal and lets see some more improvement.
Yeoman - Some say he is the best finisher at the club. Hasn't disgraced himself in recent run outs. Another 1 year deal to finally prove himself.
Thompson - One of the best young prospects at the club. Two year deal, settle down boy, force your way in to the first team and lets see you rip through those oppo defences!
Mackenzie - Like Thompson, two years. Hope to see him make himself the third (second) choice centre-half behind Downes/Saah.

Bye Bye
Jarvis - A decent enough player but at his age (and wage) needs to be forcing himself into every ones starting eleven and he simply isn't doing that.
Macklin - Sorry lad, I know the injury has hampered you but your time is up.
Easton - Like Jarvis, too expensive to be warming the bench.
Stevens - As much as I love our little Danny, too many chances now boy. You probably need a fresh start as much as we do.
Halpin - Hasn't forced himself on to the bench much, let alone the starting eleven. Has now been overtaken in the pecking order by Thompson. Sorry Saul but your time is up.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I'd agree with all of that apart from Macklin, Cruise and Yeoman. Cruise and Yeoman don't seem to be good enough unless they're currently earning 20p and a Mars Bar a week. Yeoman was not good enough when I saw him against Fleetwood and there's a reason why he rarely gets first team games ahead of off-form strikers. I'd rather have Jarvis than Yeoman, at least Jarvis works hard.

Macklin I'd like to see for another year, make or break. He's got the ability but needs to stay fit.

Cruise just doesn't seem to fit the bill. He was brought in to be a centre back covering left back and the only position he seems to have actually got any game time in at right back. Not seen many great reviews for him.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"