Any update on Lingy?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
LOFC Chris
New Signing
New Signing

Any update on Lingy?

Post by LOFC Chris »

Hi, I'm an Orient fan and just wondered if there was any news on Martin. Or are you still being kept in the dark like us? He's a bit of a legend up here having spent 13 years at the club and built strong foundations as a manager from which we are still seeing the benefits.

I know our supporters club sent a big get well card signed by directors and fans alike to your club.

Would also like to thank all the supporters of Torquay for a really enjoyable day back in August (Rochdale 4-2 win at home). All the people in the supporters bar before the game made me and a few of my friends who had been on holiday in Salcombe feel really welcome and what a great game to choose! I came out of that game thinking you played some great stuff and thought Martin's team was doing a great job of playing entertaining football. Therefore i was all the more shocked to read about all the negative football being played this season on here since that day.

Torquay are the first team i check for on results after i get back from Orient games. Good luck with the rest of your season.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Cheers for your best wishes Chris and it's great your club sent Ling a card; I had no idea!

Ling had also been laying foundations for future success here with the redevelopment of training facilities and a new focus on youth recruitment. However fortunes on the pitch had been poor with a very tight budget due to the costs of the 'behind the scenes' work.

To be honest I don't think people have heard anything since he has left the club. Nothing official has come out at all really. There were a few rumours on here (completely guess work, I assume) that it was something stress related but the long and short of it is that none of us actuallly know what is wrong with him. We all just hope he can pull through and resume work.

Good luck Orient with your season run-in!
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
LOFC Chris
New Signing
New Signing

Post by LOFC Chris »

Thanks Steve,

There are only a couple of Clubs that i have a geniune soft spot for other than Orient. Torquay are one of them. Been to Torquay a few times in my life and always enjoyed myself as it is a proper weekend away from the 'big smoke'. I would hate to see you go down, the football league desperately needs to retain traditional football league clubs with a long history (Torquay are definately one of those). There has been some utter rubbish floating around the L1 and particularly L2 in recent years. Morecombe, D&R, Accrington, Aldershot, Fleetwood, Creepy Crawley Town. They seem to have replaced 'old friends' like Lincoln City, Wrexham, Luton etc. Clubs with much better pedigree. Would hate to see you lose your status only to be replaced by someone like Dartford for example (who were in the conf play off spots until recently), even if Dartford is quite close to us.

Lets hope Lingy is Ok and ready to return to football at least even if Torquay do end up with someone else on a permenent bases.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Any updates on Ling?

Imagine there were a couple of rumours on the terraces/in the boots on Saturday. What's the word?
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

There are plenty of rumours, many with a common theme and some from usually reliable sources, but that's all they are at present hence the reticence to spread them on this site.

The Club needs to come clean on the situation because it wouldn't surprise me if the lack of a turnround factor in AK's appointment is linked in some way with the strange veil of secrecy surrounding his absence.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Modgull wrote: The Club needs to come clean on the situation because it wouldn't surprise me if the lack of a turnround factor in AK's appointment is linked in some way with the strange veil of secrecy surrounding his absence.
This is what I was thinking. How can the fans get behind the club when we don't know all the facts? I, like yourself, have heard several rumours but refuse to believe them until the club makes it public knowledge.
ROADRUNNER
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: clint boulton

Post by ROADRUNNER »

best left alone for the time i think, it will all come out in time.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

ROADRUNNER has this spot on, it really is at the moment best left alone, I know serveral stewards personaly, trust me these stewards know jack all about the inner workings of our club, in fact they know even less than I do, and I know sod all. do not get sucked into believing anything they say.

There were rumours Lingy was seen in the area and at the ground, strange considering there is a post on aother site from someone who was talking to Martin Ling in London on Saturday, also if what I have heard is confirmed as correct, it will make a certain other rumour look very foolish indeed, so as said best left well alone at the moment, the club may not be able to give the full facts right now, but at some point they will have no choice, then we will have the right to disscuss it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Nick Potkins
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Nick Potkins »

The club as Employer will not be able to comment. As Employee (Lang in this case) has his human rights, employment law, etc. on his side. This covers redundancies, dismissals and disciplinary.

We can comment (maybe wrongly) on sites like this, the club can’t. They can’t speculate or put any future tribunal at risk (and I'm not saying there will be one), think of the financial consequences of something like that.

Like the rest of you I’m keen to know, move on and stay in the football league (STAYING UP.....).

The answer to this question needs to be put to the background for now.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Martin was no where near the club or in the area on Saturday, he was in Essex watching his son Sam play for Leyton orients youth team against Watford.

Sometimes on here it is like a series of jackanory why let the truth come in the way of a good story... You couldn't make it up !!
tufcbrett
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Who gets us a win!

Post by tufcbrett »

All we need to know is who's the start 11 on a match day and support the team ton3 points. I couldn't care less who's manager now or next season at this moment in time, rather see the team stay up. Worry about players leaving and the manager situation until we know our fate at full time against rovers.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

supergulls wrote:Martin was no where near the club or in the area on Saturday, he was in Essex watching his son Sam play for Leyton orients youth team against Watford.

Sometimes on here it is like a series of jackanory why let the truth come in the way of a good story... You couldn't make it up !!

Some people say they thought they saw him, I've not seen anyone post that he was definitely in the area. Try sticking to the facts and stop making up stories to fit your own agenda.

I'm still a supporter of Ling and am saddened that he's blamed by most for the incompetence of others.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Southampton Gull wrote:
Some people say they thought they saw him, I've not seen anyone post that he was definitely in the area. Try sticking to the facts and stop making up stories to fit your own agenda.

I'm still a supporter of Ling and am saddened that he's blamed by most for the incompetence of others.
Here here. I am firmly with SG on this. That is all.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Southampton Gull wrote:

I agree; I support Lingy too; hope he gets back to full health and fitness soon as possible.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I wish Martin Ling well. He is a decent man.

However, there is no escaping the fact that his team and tactics were not working and the wheels came off towards the end of last season. The form was dreadful before he left. The blame for this cannot all be laid at the door of the directors. Other managers have achieved more with less.

I sincerely wish Martin Ling a full recovery from whatever it is that has laid him low. I cannot imagine he will be back here to manage the club and if I am honest, I would prefer to see a new manager next season. Not Martin Ling nor Alan Knill.