Torquay United v Accrington Stanley - 6/4/12

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Im amazed at the number of people who suggest we won Ugly yesterday. Admittedly it wasn't vintage football at all times but there was some stunning stuff played at times, and they created nothing of note, just a few routine saves from Bobby.

The only player who disappointed me was Eunan, he tried to be clever too often, although when it comes off he is brilliant.

I though Morris, Stevens, Howe, Mansell, Lathrope, Ellis, Saah, Nico, Tai, Oastler, Bobby, Jarvis and LRT we all excellent.

Jarvis deserves immense credit for not giving up on the ball before Bowes goal, many would have. Also his chance wasn't easy as it took a huge bobble. That move was one of many though that simply tore Stanley apart. 3-4 nil would not have really flattered us so that would suggest yo me it wasn't winning ugly. Maybe our standards have just gotten higher?

We also very nearly saw the greatest goal of all time 4 or 5 flicks came of in a row to shred Stanley open, sadly it fell to Eunans left foot and he put it wide!
Last edited by Kernowgull on 07 Apr 2012, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

bixieupnorth wrote:
scores 1-0 if ML picks team, 5-0 if i get my way
if only he'd listened to me, our GD would be the same as shrews!!
still keeping the faith
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Matt.[/qoute]

Wasn't there a game once where there was only 1 fan turned up?[/quote]

You must be referring to the "Leigh RMI one". There are two pictures of him doing the rounds - one at Dagenham and one at Woking. Unfortunately I've not seen either for a while[/quote]

Comment no 8 on this page - http://www.thefootballforum.net/index.p ... y-support/ - shows the Dagenham one.[/quote]

If you look on that link at Comment 6. I think someone needs to put them in the picture as to how many we take now.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

I thought at times we played some neat stuff and put a few lovely moves together, if Jarvis hadn't got the 'Wembley bobble' it would have been one of the goals of the season in terms of wingplay from Stevens and a finish.

Up until Lathrope went off I thought Morris was having a stinker, when he went in the middle he was a different player. Wanting the ball all the time, he looks so much more comfortable in the middle and started to make things happen in there. He looks unnatural out wide, lacks pace, chooses the wrong option too often and only once Jarvis went out there did we really start to dominate. Jarvis play for the goal was superb.

Accrington were quite a tidy outfit apart from their subs who came on and were really clueless, very young side in the main and they looked dodgy defensively for me, they wanted to try and play football but some of their players looked uncomfortable doing it! got them into trouble at times. Lets be honest we should have scored 4 yesterday. 2 bobbles, Ellis panicking a free shot over + our goal which was the hardest of the lot.

Howe was truly outstanding, by a mile our best footballer, has a brilliant football brain and just has quality when on it. Unlike Morris he just picks the right option more often than not. Drops deep a bit too much for me but when he's on his own and starved of service I can't blame him.Played a delightful through ball for Stevens at one point in the 2nd half, linked play superbly and thoroughly deserved his brilliant goal.

Agree with those saying O'Kane was disappointing, a complete world apart from the player I saw early season. Hoping it was just an off day and not a sign that he's tiring because we need him to find his best form for the last 5 games.

Dilemma for Oxford, Lathrope has done nothing wrong but if he's carrying a knock I would start Morris in his place and play Jarvis out wide. I would also like to see maybe Macklin as sub to offer a pacey option because we seriously lack pace in the side. One thing I really noticed was the amount of time and space Oastler and Morris found down the right hand side but they physically weren't able to make the most of it. All I could think of was I wish we had Muzzy playing cos he'd rip this lot up. I suppose it's a bit late in the day to tinker with things or give someone else a go but it's something we desperately need to address in the summer if they deem Macklin isn't up to it. We need a pacey natural attacking winger to play in front of Oastler and leave Morris and Lathrope competing in central midfield.

Overall though I thought we were decent enough, good value for the win Saah again was outstanding at the back and led the defense superbly covering for Ellis at times who was a bit hit and miss, Nicho good, Oastler ok I'm not his biggest fan in all honesty but he's steady enough. Midfield again a bit up and down, Mansell was good in the main, Lathrope was fine, Morris awful but then good once he switched, Stevens quiet for the main but came alive towards the end and setup Jarvis superbly, Jarvis came on and helped change the game, O'Kane below par, and I've mentioned Howe superb.

Looking forward to Oxford now, a win there would be mahusive.