Rene Howe - Signs for Burton Albion! A two year deal

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

If Howe is going to leave us, which of course, he is doing, then I would be quite happy for that to be to a club like Hibs. At least he wouldn't be coming back to haunt us and who could begrudge him the opportunity to play against Celtic and err...Ross County et al...
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Whilst the SPL standard is dreadful overall it is still a better place to be than Division 4 in England. Can mock St Mirren, Ross County and a few others all you like but is it really much better going to Morecambe, Bury, Accrington and Fleetwood? In fact at least St Mirren have a nice ground and pitch to play on.

The SPL is well covered by TV, get to play Celtic a few times a season and going to a club like Hibs if it is them means he might get a shot of winning a cup or at least playing in a Scottish Cup final of some sorts and also there is a chance he could play in Europe.

Or he might fancy a JPT game away at Wycombe in front of 1200.

SPL >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> League 2
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

Post by tktufc91 »

Just seen a tweet saying that he's not going to Hibs. Maybe getting another club isn't as easy as be first thought?
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Who cares? So long as he doesn't end up back with us. We're moving onwards and upwards! :scarf:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

They probably didn't offer him eleventy billion pounds a week and a Ferrari.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

He seems to be playing a bit of a dangerous game to me. At the beginning of the summer, nearly every club in the lower divisions (and even the SPL) were being linked with him and it seemed like he had the pick of pretty much anyone and could choose where he wanted to live and where he wanted to play and how much he wanted to earn ... but as the summer has dragged on without it appears him making too much of an effort to get something sorted, those deals have surely started to dry up with a number of teams turning their attentions elsewhere and plenty getting close to finalising their squads.

Whilst, Rene will inevitably end up somewhere on a decent whack, the longer he continues to dither, then surely the greater the risk that he will end up playing (and just as importantly living) somewhere he might not particularly have wanted to just to get more money or he will end up living somewhere he wants but not necessarily on the sort of money he might have been hoping for. The fact is that there are still an awful lot of decent out of work footballers out there and the competition is pretty tough!
exilegull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by exilegull »

Agree CP - Rene is also someone who needs a good pre-season behind him to ensure he is match fit. If he ends up on trial with clubs and is a week or so behind the rest of the squads he could struggle.
KentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence's Afro

Post by KentGull »

I just hope that he doesn't think he'll walk back into our squad if it all goes tits up for him trying to get his 'dream move'. He was good (some would say average/above average) during his time with us and he did a decent job for us. But he's made it quite clear that his future doesn't lie with us.... to be honest, I'll be glad when he's sorted himself a club and then we can all move on and give the new players – those who WANT to play for us – our full support.

:keepie:
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

I think we've all accepted he's moved on, and I honestly do wish him the best.

I'm worried (for his sake) that perhaps he's started believing the hype behind him, and he's biding his time hoping for a big offer from another club. Unfortunately, no one above mid-table League 1 is necessarily going to have heard of him, let alone readying an offer.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
KentGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Les Lawrence's Afro

Post by KentGull »

usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Is that Rene or Buckle?
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

KentGull wrote:I just hope that he doesn't think he'll walk back into our squad if it all goes tits up for him trying to get his 'dream move'. He was good (some would say average/above average) during his time with us and he did a decent job for us. But he's made it quite clear that his future doesn't lie with us.... to be honest, I'll be glad when he's sorted himself a club and then we can all move on and give the new players – those who WANT to play for us – our full support.

:keepie:

Spot on. I'd take Saah back but no way Rene, Not now.

I hope he doesn't get a good move now as he's full of greed and self importance. He could have stayed at Torquay, got an improved deal which would have meant more cash, get a real relationship with the fans and settle his family in an area which many people would love to live in. It is pure greed.

but like I said, who cares? Let him go and earn a few grand more if that's what he wants. One thing is for sure though, any club signing him should accept that he's there for the cash and not for them.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

tktufc91 wrote:Just seen a tweet saying that he's not going to Hibs. Maybe getting another club isn't as easy as be first thought?
Not sure about that. I read the same tweet and I'm not sure whether he was just being self-deprecating or a little sarcastic with the person that asked him whether he was signing for Hibs. That said, Rene's options seem to be seriously closing up, so he'd better get his act together.
TUST member 203
Bridportgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Micky cave

Post by Bridportgull »

Was he ever offered a new contract if not he has nothing to do with us so let move on and upwards with players who want to wear the yellow
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

I think we're forgetting a major point here. Rene Howe and Brian Saah are both out of contract, meaning they are now not involved with the club in any way, shape or form other than being an ex-player. We won't be getting either of them back unless we actually want them and they're willing to grovel, either way, they are no longer employees of Torquay United.
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"