Torquay United v Wycombe Wanderers Match Thread

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

One of the most pointless football matches I have ever watched from a Torquay United fan's perspective, I had more fun ripping up programmes and throwing them up in the air after the "let's pretend we scored a goal." Abysmal performance to finish off an abysmal season.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I cannot believe that after the final whistle and the majority of the crowd had dispersed, one bloke behind me on the Popside STILL said to his mates "we weren't the worst team in the league this year"

HELLO!!!!!!! Yes we f***ing were!!!

Some people are so deluded.

A quick mention on the 125 year shirts today.......terrible. You couldn't see the bloody numbers from a distance. Well worth the £125 I'm sure.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Pig racing anyone? :-D
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

We are not very good in physical games the youngsters stuggle and foul because the've not got the know how or strength. We need big centre halves O'Conner is not strong enough to play there in certain games. The midfield was weak today and I expect Hargreaves hung Benyon for missing that open goal after it was put on a plate for him. I expect thats why he never came out second half. I like Craig but not today and Stockly is another Benyon giving away freekicks where he was out muscled. :keepie:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Difficult to put into words how angry I feel at today's performance. We were pitiful, no commitment, no passion, limited ability to do the basics, awful. It was embarrasing to wear my shirt today. Some of players clearly did not care less, what a performance to serve up to your fans. Well done to Wycombe, they deserved their win but had a pathetic shambles of a team to play against. Big clear out required, we want players who are proud to be professional footballers. Only Cameron provided any kind of threat. Benyon and Craig played as if they see their next move as the South Devon League. Three dreadful goals to give away, one attempt on goal. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

An utterly, shameful, abject performance today, beyond embarrassing.

Thank goodness that most of that team will hopefully be on their way next season. Hargreaves was right to call that performance disgusting.

I worked out today that, on Saturdays at Plainmoor, we have not scored since Morecambe, 4 months ago, and only 4 times since September. Just shocking.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I turned up toady not sure what to expect performance wise, but I wasn't expecting a performance collectively as bad as I've seem from any Torquay side in my time watching the gulls. Unforgiveable, useless, turgid, tripe, simply no excuse for that, CH talked about played for some pride, and only Cameron looked like he wanted to restore any pride in the club today, fair play to him, wish CH had come on at full time and dragged all bar Cameron off and left the lad on the pitch for a deserved round of applause.

Today we wore the all white 125 year kit, what an apt colour, the colour of surrender and boy did we do that, Wycombe could have won by anything today, and fair play to their fans, we've had more Exeter, Rovers and Plymouth in the away and didn't make noise like that.

Congratulations to Wycombe on avoiding the drop. I can't begin the quantify the size of the job that faces Chris Hargreaves, it's huge, massive, my warning is don't be too over optimistic for next season, I'm certain things will get worse before better.
Formerly known as forevertufc
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

btw - I meant to mention the Wycombe fans. Before the game, I had felt that I didn't want to see a team celebrating at our last rites of league football. But their fans were excellent. As far as I could tell, there was no mocking of our relegation, just good solid support of their team.

Wycombe looked good today - why on earth have they struggled? And their supporters created a great atmosphere in the ground.

Also, pretty decent of the Pop to applaud when the Rovers result was confirmed. Good luck to Wycombe next year.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

hector wrote:btw - I meant to mention the Wycombe fans. Before the game, I had felt that I didn't want to see a team celebrating at our last rites of league football. But their fans were excellent. As far as I could tell, there was no mocking of our relegation, just good solid support of their team.

Wycombe looked good today - why on earth have they struggled? And their supporters created a great atmosphere in the ground.

Also, pretty decent of the Pop to applaud when the Rovers result was confirmed. Good luck to Wycombe next year.
There was one chant of "You're going down with the Bristol" or something, but can hardly blame them after knowing that they were 2-0 up and Rovers went 1 down.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:I turned up toady not sure what to expect performance wise, but I wasn't expecting a performance collectively as bad as I've seem from any Torquay side in my time watching the gulls. Unforgiveable, useless, turgid, tripe, simply no excuse for that, CH talked about played for some pride, and only Cameron looked like he wanted to restore any pride in the club today, fair play to him, wish CH had come on at full time and dragged all bar Cameron off and left the lad on the pitch for a deserved round of applause.

Today we wore the all white 125 year kit, what an apt colour, the colour of surrender and boy did we do that, Wycombe could have won by anything today, and fair play to their fans, we've had more Exeter, Rovers and Plymouth in the away and didn't make noise like that.

Congratulations to Wycombe on avoiding the drop. I can't begin the quantify the size of the job that faces Chris Hargreaves, it's huge, massive, my warning is don't be too over optimistic for next season, I'm certain things will get worse before better.
the disappointing thing is dave, im sure you did......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
Driving South to all games!

TUST Member 468

Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well for a start I'd like to point out that I didn't turn up dress as a toad, I meant I went today. Yes Chris, suspected things wouldn't be good, but after a number of recent away wins, maybe, just maybe part of me hoped to finish the season on a real high, but, instead it was a real low, in fact we took the bar down a few levels today.

Think the one thing we all now agree on, there needs to be big sweeping changes, just hope it happens, and as a club we get it right, there could be a lot riding on it.
Formerly known as forevertufc
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

forevertufc wrote:Well for a start I'd like to point out that I didn't turn up dress as a toad, I meant I went today. Yes Chris, suspected things wouldn't be good, but after a number of recent away wins, maybe, just maybe part of me hoped to finish the season on a real high, but, instead it was a real low, in fact we took the bar down a few levels today.

Think the one thing we all now agree on, there needs to be big sweeping changes, just hope it happens, and as a club we get it right, there could be a lot riding on it.
no dave, there is.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025

TUST Member 468

CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Totally agree, a truly pathetic home performance (yet again) today.

I couldn't help but draw comparisons with Dagenham's rather pathetic home loss to Northampton last weekend which (although I may be wrong at drawing such an inference) drew the ire of Chris Hargeaves who seemed to me at least to be suggesting that D&R had deliberately fielded a "weakened" side which had directly contributed to our demise.

Rather an embarrassing suggestion given how pathetic we were today .... and certainly open to ridicule from the Bristol Rovers fans today who might have thought (sadly for them) that we might have actually made a game of it today!

One of the poorest performance I have ever witnessed at Plainmoor over the many years of supporting our team.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

CP Gull wrote:Totally agree, a truly pathetic home performance (yet again) today.

I couldn't help but draw comparisons with Dagenham's rather pathetic home loss to Northampton last weekend which (although I may be wrong at drawing such an inference) drew the ire of Chris Hargeaves who seemed to me at least to be suggesting that D&R had deliberately fielded a "weakened" side which had directly contributed to our demise.

Rather an embarrassing suggestion given how pathetic we were today .... and certainly open to ridicule from the Bristol Rovers fans today who might have thought (sadly for them) that we might have actually made a game of it today!

One of the poorest performance I have ever witnessed at Plainmoor over the many years of supporting our team.
he may have a point mate seeing as they beat chelts away today......... :@

i bet that burst a few coupons today......

TUST Member 468

AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Burst?

What are they made out of nowadays? Balloons?! :na:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.